Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 05-14-2002, 07:42 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Wow that sounds soooo cute. I'm always so jealous when I read about trash day in other's posts. We don't have that phenom. but I wish we did. Here we put our trash in the dumpster or have to haul it to the junkyard.....I guess I could frequent the dump ground, eh?
Old 05-15-2002, 08:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle Another treasure

On the way home from an appointment last evening, the kids and I passed a big pile of trash and I spotted a large, somewhat rusty, metal basket on the top. I turned the car around and my 9 year old got out and snatched it for me. We had a nice talk about "recycling and being creative" on the way home. I plan to line it with moss and make a planter out of it for the yard.
I have scored two peices for the yard this week and my kids have helped me. I just love it!
Old 05-15-2002, 09:51 AM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Quote:
Happiness is not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
Or finding it in your neighbors' trash. heehee.
Old 05-15-2002, 10:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle dumpster-diving DELUXE!

I can't believe more people don't do this!...You never know what you're gonna find!
I started looking in dumpsters when i was about 8 years old, and found (behind and office building) enough 3ring binders, pens, pencils, and various supplies for me and my bro. and sister to use all school year!
It's only gotten better and better.....
Just last week, I was checking out a dumpster behind a place that builds pool cages, i needed a piece of the aluminum they use to repair mine...
anyway, i didn't find the scrap i needed, BUT i did fish out a NEW-in the package- Milwaukee circular saw blade. it hadn't even been opened! when i left there, i ALSO found a perfectly- good card table laying on the side of the road. seems that you could only see it, if you were pulling out of the lot where the pool cage people worked!
I've ALWAYS got my eyes peeled!!!

Old 05-15-2002, 11:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Let me ask a quick question, Do you actually get out and open the dumpsters and look into them ? Move stuff around to see what is in them ? I havent been able to bring my self to do that yet. I drive by dumpsters and if they look full, Ill check them out but Im afraid to go lift the lids and look around. I bet Im missing a lot !

We watched a kid dump a bag of lawn fertilizer in the dumpster a month ago and when he was finished, we went to get it......it was the big bag of Scotts and it was 3/4 full !!

I havent had any luck lately roadside shopping. Im hoping the weather warms up and people start to clean out their houses. LOL !!

Keep on searchin' ..........
Old 05-15-2002, 11:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle open em up!!!

sure i do!!!...open em up, climb in, (when i have to) and rake in the goodies!
just be careful,...sometimes you'll find broken glass, or an open can of soda!
try to look when the business is closed...if the people are still there, i even ask them if i can get what i want, if they say no,...then there's always time to get it when they leave!

Old 05-15-2002, 12:30 PM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

That wire basket sounds soooooo coool! Congrats and Kudos girls.....I'm gonna start looking more....I have only stopped if I saw something "sticking out" that I wanted...gonna work my courage up now!
Old 05-15-2002, 12:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Mom2twoboyz:
You gotta love it! One person's trash really is another person's treasure!
I can't wait to "plant" my basket tonight.I am always keeping my eyes open and keeping my mind open for new and creative uses for things. You really do have to think outside the box to get the full use of roadside treasures.
Old 05-15-2002, 01:06 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Just picked up a little queen anne style end table right next door in the trash. I'm going to paint it and put outside in the garden beside the park bench for the summer. I love finding things for free.
Laura
Old 05-21-2002, 06:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I found something else! On the way to work this morning I spotted a cool little wooden end table. It was pretty rough looking, but I figured with a coat of paint, it could go in the garden as a side table.So, I turned around and once again my kids helped put it in the trunk. Then my 8 yo DD reminded me that I said the next treasure we found would go to our dear friend and neighbor Ms. Joan. (Those little people with consiences LOL) So we showed up on her door step early this morning and delivered it. She was so excited.Her husband wasn't, but he tolerates us pretty well.lol
Joan has turned her shady backyard into various "rooms" and he has lots of seating areas and can really use the the table.