Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 03-18-2002, 06:28 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Diving Hubby

This is the funniest forum I've ever read!

My hubby works for a diesel repair shop and he can't believe the stuff people throw away in his dumpster after hours.

He's brought home a turquoise chest on chest dresser which he stripped and stained. It's beautiful and sits in our living room with my table linens in it.

He found an antique table which he was going to use for firewood but I refinished it myself and now we use it as our dining table.

We've gotten boxes of kids clothes, toys, books, tools, 2 chairs, an endtable, childs tent still in the box, dehymidifier, small freezer, tons of stuff.

The whole town must use their dumpster for disposing of their stuff. Lucky us!;-)
Old 03-19-2002, 03:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

chuckle I found a great curb side treasure yesterday!!

I was so happy. It was a nice little vanity set of a toddler. It was right down the strret. I picked it up, brushed the snow off it and it was great! Threw it in the trunk, brought it home and washed it up for my 17 month old. She loves it!
Old 03-19-2002, 05:37 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Don't forget....

Another place to look into is local hotels. Our Holiday Inn is remodeling and they are giving away everything. They prefer to get rid of a complete room at a time but will divide sometimes. I mean everything all the way down to the carpet. Mirrors, bed with frames, dressers, desks, tables..everything. If you know of someone working at a hotel/motel you might consider asking if they will be remodeling soon.

Debra
Old 03-19-2002, 12:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

A lot of the motels around here are selling their goodies. One thing - The landmark Camelot Hotel where OKon ( sci fi convention ) had been held were selling a lot of the goodies to make way for refubishing into retirement apartments. People were coming from around the country to get things with the Camelot name on them - one young man was here to get something to give to his parents because they had honeymooned there 25 years ago! Aaaah....

Old 03-19-2002, 06:47 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Having worked in retail, I know the main reason stores will destroy the items they are throwing out, is so people do not take them out of the dumpster and then attempt to bring them to the store for a refund/exchange. You would be suprised what people will try to return! I work in a shoe store, and last summer a woman came in trying to return a pair of sandals that she had purchased at one of our sidewalk sales ELEVEN YEARS AGO!! She still had her receipt. She had paid $10 for them, well they finally wore out, and she came in expecting us to give her a new pair. I could hardly keep a straight face!

Deb
Old 03-19-2002, 08:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I know what ya mean about the things people return...... I was a clothing store manager before I got pregnant. We used to women return things that you would believe the condition of the clothes and then lie right to your face.

Many women would buy something to wear for one night and then try to return it the next day -with the tags still on it-- right along with deodarent stain too !

Things will never change for some things.
Old 03-26-2002, 01:11 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Free....Free....they were Fa-Ree!!!

Hey guess what happened...I had bought some older evaporative air conditioners from a salvage outfit for $20 ea.. I have a little store and needed a new air conditioner for it since it doesn't have central air. I don't own the building so I don't want to be out the extra for it. SSSooooo I bought these and told the person that I couldn't pick them up until the middle of April. I don't live too far from this place and I noticed today that all of them were gone! (gasp) I called and told them that I hadn't picked mine up and they told me sorry bout that, we'll give your money back AND they told me they had taken them to the dump. SO dh just got back from getting 2 of them for FREE!!!! Yippee, I just made $60 for noticing they were gone. So on occaission it pays to be slow!;-)
Old 03-26-2002, 01:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

We use to be able to get things from the dump.

Then they started charging us just to look around and we had to buy anything we wanted.

Now they can't let us in because someone fell down and sued them.

May God give you for every storm, a rainbow, for every tear, a smile, for every care, a promise, and blessing in each trial, for every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh, a sweet song, and an answer for each prayer.
~An Irish Blessing
Old 03-30-2002, 11:45 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dumpster Diving

I have never gone dumpster diving or pick something up off the side of the road but DH has. When he worked for a construction co. they did a lot of fire jobs (would go in and rebuild a building that had fire damage). One was a co. that supplied the linens for the oil companies platforms where the guys lived. There wasn't a lot of fire damage but the water soaked the linens and the insurance co. was just going to buy new ones. DH asked what would happen to the old, damaged stuff and was told that it would all be thrown out. He asked if he could take some of it and the owner sid fine. So He filled his vehicle up with as much of the linens (not all of it was water logged so he took the dryest stuff he could find) as he fit in. At another job, a home damaged by fire, he was helping to move a china hutch. He heard things falling inside and took a look - beautiful gold trimmed china getting broken. Again he asked if he took take it and was told fine as it was all being replaced by the insurance co.

He has found perfectly good cast iron pans and others things that I'm sure he hasn't told me about. When his oldest sister was prparing to move out of state he came home with a lot of things she was going to put out to be picked up - a reclyner, a freezer ($30 to have freon level brought up and it works great) and some really good pots & pans. Anything he comes home with that I can convince him that we really can't use we take to the Salvation Army for them to find homes for.

This has been a fun thread to read
Old 04-02-2002, 07:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Have to tell you about my curb side finds tonight....... I drove by a house in my neighborhood on my way to the store....saw some muffin pans laying on top of their garbage can. I was thinking that I could use them to make candles in or make big crayons out of broken pieces that my son likes to throw away. Anyway, I came home and mentioned them to my DH and he said we would go take a look at them ( Read : I like asking him to grab the stuff for me while I stay in the car ) I didnt think he would do it but he did !! This is what I got ......3 -12 muffin pans, 1-24 mini muffin pan, 2 sm. cookie sheets ( 1 non stick) --All in perfect condition !!! The top muffin pan needs cleaned out but other than that, they are perfect !! Needless to say, Im not using them for candles , they are going in my cupboard for cooking !! Ill use my old pans for the other stuff !! Cant wait for the people around here to start Spring cleaning !!

I thanked DH many times for getting out & taking them for me !