Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 02-16-2002, 06:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Re: dumster diving

Quote:
Originally posted by shannon
[ Remember, you have to go to new home construction sites. They really get rid of great things! Shannon from pa [/B]
Boy, if that isn't the truth! We had a frameing crew do the 'bones' of our house, and the head guy asked me where I wanted the burn pile to go. Upon checking that site several days later, I was shocked at what all they had thrown away to be burned.

Every night I went through their burn pile accumulation, and by the end of the project, I had three piles of stacked lumber pieces more than 4' tall (each), 2 five-ballon buckets of assorted nails and screws that I can use, 1 push broom that still has life in it but is no longer good enough for their uses, more than 300 aluminum soda cans, a wobbly ladder (which I am refurbishing with lattice strips and paint to use as a trellis for climbing vines in my garden), 3 t-shirts, and 7 Glad plastic reusable containers w/lids.

And to think these guys just wanted to burn all this ~ and this group was only the framers.

Sandie
Old 02-16-2002, 03:51 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle i forgot to mention

i forgot to mention my basement has floor to ceiling shelves built out of the lumber 2x4s and plywood they were throwing away
Old 02-17-2002, 04:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

blushing

well, one day i was walking through the parking lot of a store and saw a big contractor-type measuring tape on top of a full garbage bin...i looked around...no one!...and after a quick check, dropped it in my bag. my dh was thrilled with it and it was only somewhat worn at the beginning, which he repaired.

he, however, is a veteran diver and is always directing me to bins that he spies, (he doesn't drive)

for me the problem is developing "sang froid" while i casually sit in our wagon next to the bin and pretend i have nothing to do with the man half upside down in the garbage bin!

but there's no denying the wonders he finds in their depths.

carol
Old 02-17-2002, 07:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have had great success in roadside shopping.
I have found a hard wood deskthat was painted white from the 50's in excellent condition and is in use in my son's room for homework.
A solid maple radio case from the 40's that had been adapted for the use of an entertainment center and fits perfectly our VCR, Dvd player (a gift) sega Game system, All the sega gameswe own (34) about 75 movies, which are housed in an area that has a door, and 30 dvds.
I have also found an old 13" TV, The kind that has to be changed manually and is not cable ready, But works perfectly. I hooked it to a vcr that I had bought at a thrift shop complete with remote control for $20, I watch the tv through the vcr so that the tv channels can be changed with the remote control.
I found a second desk that has a pickled finished and laminated surfaces that I placed on my porch and has become my garden bench,and has enough room for the storage of potting soil, seed and tools.
A 42" high solid plaster pedestal painted brown that I white washed with white and now has an arrangement of twigs feathers and bird.
And a small green upolstered chair on wheels that serves as a desk chair.
I am sure I have picked up more items than what I have listed including childrens toy and more.
Most of the items I found were in my neighborhood that has a high percentage of renters that move in and out frequently and do not want to move their belongings.

Teag

Old 02-17-2002, 05:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Some of my favorite Mother's Day presents came from my boys who dove into the dumpster behind a gift shop in town.

It is now a felony in our town to dumpster dive. It seems that you can sue the company if you get hurt so the insurance companies came down hard on the divers.
May God give you for every storm, a rainbow, for every tear, a smile, for every care, a promise, and blessing in each trial, for every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh, a sweet song, and an answer for each prayer.
~An Irish Blessing
Old 02-21-2002, 03:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My uncle is the most astounding dumpster-diver I know. He has been staying with my grandmother while she's recuperating from surgery and his favorite dumpster is in a very ritzy area... the Trader Joe's in Laguna Hills, CA. He says dumpsters behind all the Trader Joe's are often a goldmine. I've seen him cooking with all kinds of gourmet stuff from there, ranging from imported olive oil to canned tomatoes to pine nuts to fresh ever-so-slightly-overripe avocadoes.

I also have a friend who dumpster-dives, and his specialty is computers. He has built and sold several that he's rescued from dumpsters and roadside and garage sales and stores going out of business, and then he fixes them up. He is disabled and this is how he makes a living now. I recently wanted to get my mom a printer and he salvaged one for me and it was $20 ... works perfectly.

Rani
Old 02-22-2002, 04:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I do not dumpster dive but I sure am enjoying reading about everyones adventures and treasures! I do enjoy going to yard sales. In the beginning of the summer we come up with a list of things we want from yard sales and have fun trying to find them.
Old 02-23-2002, 02:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I love yard sales too!
Old 02-23-2002, 08:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I'm not afraid to go "treasure hunting".

The last few times I looked in Dollar General's dumpster (I don't actually get inside the dumpster: I will stand on a stool and lean over as far into it as I can ), I brought home the following:

A red plastic tote with rope handles

A tray table

10 or more bags of fun-size Clark bars (sealed)

A whole large box of Purex detergent

Half a bottle Gain detergent

An 8-lb bag of cat food

Many canned sodas

Some bagged pasta (sealed)

Big bottles of Dollar General brand Febreze

17 big bags of potato chips (sealed)

That's all I can think of right now, but I know there's been more.

About a month ago, I went to DG before the store manager had left. Well, as I was leaving after my dive, a cop car pulled into the parking lot. They came after me. They pulled me over and asked why I had been in the dumpster. I said, "Sometimes they throw away perfectly good stuff, sir." LOL. Sounded reasonable to him. He let me go after telling me next time to ask first. Yeah right, LOL. Next time I'll just make darn sure nobody's in the store.
Old 03-13-2002, 11:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
chuckle Doing the Frugal Happy Dance !!

Yippee !! I was so excited I couldve screamed this morning !! Heres what we found today:

On the way home from work, my Dh saw a Little Tikes ride-on helicopter( called a whirli bird) sitting for the garbage men to take !! He grabbed it and brought it home. All it needs is a little cleaning and there ya have it.....yard sale item From that find he decided to circle around the block to see if there was anything else that we could use. ( He shocked me doing this because he doesnt usually stop unless I beg him to) Anyway, he saw a homemade wooden baby cradle and a wooden cabinet at another house....they are dirty and dusty but I can fix that ! Then he comes home to wake me up and tell me about a table he saw and thought I might like it. So, outta bed & off we go....... The table is great !! Its a round ****tail table that has a drawer in it and a pedestal stand !! Its painted an ugly color but with a coat of paint , itll look brand new. I want to paint it and then add a piece of glass to the top so that I can stick pictures and momentos under the glass. Should look great in my bedroom or in this computer room if I ever get this fixed the way I want it to look. Thats not the best part ......Still driving past another house, came across a wooden end table that has a door on it for storage inside. Its nicked up but if I paint it , it will be fine !! Now.....the best part On the last street we drive down, there were 2 crates FULL of record albums !!!!!! Someone set them out for trash !! There are 141 albums all in their original sleeves and many look like theyve never been used !!! Eric Clapton, Paul McCarteny (sp), Journey, Stevie RAy Vaughan (sp).......so many Im so happy I could scream !!!!

What a difference a day makes, huh ? I forgot, in the end table, there was retro clothes......1 suit , 1 fleece top from Northwest Territory & 1 Old STyle WRangler jean jacket !!

Does anyone have any idea where I can get info. on the albums ? I have no idea where to start looking.