Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 12-31-2010, 12:20 PM
Nine Year Member

I picked up a wicker hanging shelf with a drawer that will go in dd1's bedroom or my office after being cleaned and spray painted.

Roberta
Old 12-31-2010, 03:31 PM
Head Moderator

My latest pickup was a wheel barrel, needed a new handle and it works fine for going into the chicken yards and muck scooping!
Old 01-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Nine Year Member

We have always called it "Treasure Hunting". This would be the curbside, dumpster or GoodWill Stores. I have several friends that asked me now, if I need something, before they get rid of it. I had a friend that had to clear her parents house and she just put everything to the curb, with a sign that said free. It cleared out with 2 hours. I just wished I was able to be off work to claim things.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:27 AM
Head Moderator

Years ago the dumpster diving was really fun and it was always surprising how much good stuff you could get! Now, must have enclosed dumpsters so you can't get to them any longer. So for the most part it is curb site junk pickups for the Free stuff.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:04 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Happy face

As i love going around doing the curbside thing as so many just put things on the street and say free as you can get niice things but,also things you can redo and make your own style piece.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Head Moderator

Hi meadow! Good to meet you!

I pick up things whenever I can. I have done so many households with things they need and a lot for myslef also. We don;t have access to nearly as much as we used to,but one of the thrift stores we frequent has such good prices that it has filled in where we need it.

I also pick up dented can goods and donate those to households that need some help with groceries. I have used them myself and still do, but mostly they go to others that really need the food.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We dumpster dive here too. But now the city has in place a "Free" weekend 2x a year. This is in the spring and fall. The idea is to put out whatever you don't want or need in your home out on your boulevard with a sign that says free on it. Then people can come by and take whatever they need and you are rid of the stuff you don't! It is a great thing and it seems to work quite well. You always have those who cram as much free stuff as they can hord so they can yard sale or whatever, but mostly it is people like me who just want to find treasures they can't afford or won't buy.

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:17 AM
Forum Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

oh yes I do both dive and roadside I have furnished several houses with good stuff can't wait till spring yahooooooooooooooo