Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 12-14-2004, 04:40 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I too, shop at the curbside mall! Recently, I found an old armoire with a mirror one one half that opens up to shelving units, the other half has glass doors and had an area to hang clothing.. I removed the rod and use it for my crafting supplies.. I put one of those 5 drawer carts in there and it fits perfectly! with room to spare.. it also has a really really long and skinny hidden drawer near the bottom that isnt very deep, but its perfect to hold papers for scrapbooking and project ideas that I have printed off for future use. Also, with it was a matching dressing table with mirrors and drawers, but we didnt need it, but i did pick it up and its in my garage and will be used in my craft room ( dont have one yet, but some of my teens will eventually move out and I will get one some time or other in the future, and it will be used at that time.. will be perfect for holding sewing notions in the drawers!) I plan on painting both, since the finish is pretty beat up, but they are antiques and they are really wonderful pieces ! The glass doors I spray painted with a "frosted glass" spray paint that I had lying around from a project long since completed, so you cant see all the junk I have tucked away since this cabinet is temporarily stored in my kitchen.
As for dumpster diving, we used to live right across the street from a warehouse for distributing Lays potato chips. This sounds gross, but we used to go across the street on the nights they would clean out the warehouse and bring home bags and bags and bags of Lays Chips.. they were a few days from expiration, but not inedible at all.. they were the only things in the dumpster and all were in sealed bags, so they were fair game ! also, in that same strip of warehouses, there is a dock where they sell items that were left overs from school sales.. you know what im talking about.. when the kids come home and say can you take this to work? im selling this for class? those items this warehouse sells, what is in damaged boxes they toss.. we helped ourselves to that too.Lots of good stuff!
Old 09-22-2005, 08:59 AM
Nine Year Member

I keep my eye out for curbside pickings all the time but have never dumpster dived. In the last couple of weeks I've picked up a kids wooden workbench, 2 shelving units, 14 hanging baskets (my sister is starting up a plant business so she will use these), small kids plastic kitchen, and swimming noodles. I've seen some nice looking furniture that I didn't need nor have any way to pick it up.

A year & half ago during our towns spring cleaning I picked up the cement edging sections and having them around the front flower beds and used a couple to block the fence where some animal has being pushing it in.

Roberta
Old 10-02-2005, 12:38 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have learned some new expressions for one of my favourite passtimes. I like CurbCrawling!

We have gotten so many great finds - a vintage wooden sleigh bed, old sewing Judy, last week, dh brought home the top of a pine corner cupboard. Two weeks ago, our neighbour's son found a wingback chair.

We had seen the sleigh bed at a garage sale for $70 and passed it by but we couldn't resist if for free at the Curb Mall!

Sometimes we put things out to our garbage then later find those pieces in one of our neighbour's houses - lol!
Old 01-31-2006, 05:51 AM
Nine Year Member

Curb crawling season is just a month or two away up here in the northeast so even though the postings have been sparse here since October...Get Ready! Take Inventory!

I was able to give a quaint end table magazine rack to my friend who surprise had the same one! She paid $3 and I got mine curb crawling for free. A matching set for $1.50 each piece is pretty decent.

The kids make fun of me but they don't mind that we now have a furnished tv basement room, an old secretary turned into a microscope stand, a coffeetable for the formal LR, lamps for the bedrooms, a student desk for the family computer, a games cupboard, 4 ladderback chairs, an old solid cherry tv cabinet on wheels that is now the DR bar, and an old oak chest, some plant stands, an encyclopedia bookcase we are turning into an art cart (I have two artists), a mahogany buffet for the kitchen spices, mix packets, lunch boxes, backup baking supplies, and on and on.

One of these days I will try a piece that needs re-upholstering. For now, I stick to hardwoods only.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 01-31-2006, 06:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
There is nothing to pick around here!! I'm not kidding! If you happen to see something by the curb, you will know that it has been used to it's fullest extent.

Congrats on your magazine racks!! Sounds silly, I know but I miss those days so much!!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 01-31-2006, 07:01 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I live in Southern Ontario - usually at this time of year we are in a deep-freeze with snow covering everything. This year it has been mostly mild with no snow on the ground. The other day, on a street just around the corner from me, I saw a mini-dumpster with an antique wicker chair sticking out of the top. I quickly did a 360 to check that out! The chair seat was in very bad condition so I left that but I got a folky butler stand - (a silhouette of a butler holding a little wicker tray). So now I am dumpster-diving in the winter :-)

Lorraine.
canada
Old 02-17-2006, 04:41 AM
Nine Year Member

ajrsmom - try the next town over, the best places are...towns with older homes and younger families, neighborhoods where both couples work, they don't have time to fix and repair!

we get a lot of junk collectors who bring pickups and collect anything metal, and then there are the ones who collect all old lawnmowers, and then there are the housewives like me with their kids hiding on the floor of the back seat

college towns are also good because students often don't know or don't have a way to take things home at the end of the semester, in fact, our university has just started a whole two day event of items for sale in an effort to promote recycling, it is worth a visit if you can do it, get on the penn state website, maybe pitt has the same?

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 12-31-2010, 04:59 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I wish I had enough nerve to dumpster dive...lol....I know friends that do that and believe me...they have found some really great antiques...all around a lake...those pp don't care what they throw away..they have $$ to replenish what they get tired of...but do want to say, my daughter over 15 yrs ago....was driving and seen a huge box off the side of the road...she picked it up...took it home and not only were there 4 beautiful prom dresses in there but a $600.00 wedding dress, we know cause she used it to get married the following year to get married but had to have it altered about 3 sizes and that's what the bridal shop told her...it was absolutely beautiful....but she did place ads in the papers but no one responded....she sold the prom dresses for a mere fraction of what they were worth...so from then on...I vowed to stop and pick up a box or whatever but haven't had that kind of luck!
Old 12-31-2010, 08:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I found a small 2 shelf bookcase at our dumpster about 4 months ago. Probably one of the college kids around here dumped it. I painted it black and now it holds my big mixer, food processor, crockpots and camera lights.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 12-31-2010, 10:12 AM
Nine Year Member

If I see something on the road side or in a dumpster yes I will go ahead and claim it. Why not. One mans junk is anothers treasures.

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills