Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 07-18-2002, 07:59 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Ok out there do you have any 'Shabby Chic' tricks up your sleeve?

:p Ok out there! Do you have any "Shabby Chic" tricks up your sleeve? Or any trash to treasure makeovers using white or neutrals plus a little color to punch it up. I'm a little more ecclectic
My bestfriend once described my style as Chinese-Victorian-Cowboy! that was 16+ years ago. now I want peaceful whites/neutral in my home and surroundings with enough color for interest. Plus a suprise or two! Whats your best idea? :p

leslie9220
Old 07-18-2002, 09:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
HI

I was thinking about doing my living room in a "country" shabby chic. This way of decorating is especially good for all of those curbside finds !! Are you starting with white walls or going with color? I was thinking for mine, a darker beige color on the walls with white trim....staying with the neutrals. Then for a real shabby chic, you have to add some florals. I dont like bright colors all that much so I was going to go more the way of pastel florals, checks & stripes. Paint your furniture white and distress some of it if you like that look ! That will tie everything together. If you can, slipcovers work great on furniture....some even say the wrinkled look fits right in. I found a great weathered piece of wood--looks like 5 2x4s nailed together but smaller in length- already painted pastel blue and really beaten and weathered. This is going on my wall with a antique plate that Im hanging on top of it. Use pillows and throws to for accent colors. Picture frames in silver or pewter look great too !

Thats all I can think of right now...Im sure there are tons more ideas ! I hope to pick up a lot more from this question. Of course, all of my ideas will be tucked away for now since I think we will be moving soon. I will have a blast when I do decorate though !

Let us know how the decorating goes !!
Old 07-18-2002, 09:24 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi arjsmom- Thanks for your suggestions. I'm working with white walls.I like your idea of hanging a plate on that pastel blue weathered piece of wood. I also like the idea of bringing some silver or pewter tones in. via frames maybe? I'm starting in the master bedroom. The carpet is a blue grey and a little boring. I may get beyond the master bedroom (we will see) there is a area by our kitchen with an L-shaped wall,windows w neutral mini blinds and enough room for a narrow long buffet table. Plus plenty of wall space there. Got to go now. I didn't intend to stay up this late at all tonight. It's after midnight I should have turned into a pumpkin already.

Leslie9220
Old 07-20-2002, 08:38 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Trash to Treasue

I thought this was a good site with some fun ideas!
http://www.hgtv.com/HGTV/pac/0,1964,...h2trsr,FF.html

I love to explore those decorating sites...

Old 07-20-2002, 07:02 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks Karil,

Great site!

Leslie9220
Old 07-21-2002, 04:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I love the Shabby Chic look and using Trash to Treasure finds to make my home unique. My most recent Trash to Treasure find was a huge lot of old window frames with the glass in them. A friend and neighbor picked up the whole lot and we are figuring out various projects with them. THe first was to take one of the old six pane window frames, cleaned it up and used picture hanging eyes and picture hanging wire to hang it on the short end. I used 6 photos of my kids when they were little in the bathtub etc. and matted them with contact paper. It's hanging in my newly redecorated bathroom.
Other ideas for this project are to paint directly on the glass with glass paints. ( I can't draw a straight line, lol, but my sister can) Use pressed flowers, etch patterns with the etching cream you can find now, etc. You can also mount mirrors in them.
ANother idea I have seen is to mount a pair of shutters on either side of a window frame and maybe a window box underneath.
SHutters! Those are my other decorating tool! I have a pair in the corner of my bedroom. I have seen multiple pairs joined and used as a screen, headboard, etc.
I found my window frames while curbside shopping, but you can also find them at salvage yards,and I have even seen them on ebay!
Also for your shabby chic bedroom- Tassels. Draped on lamps, holding back curtains etc. I find the fabric store has the best prices on these instead of the curtain stores.
Hmm, what else, Unique candles and candle holders, framed photos of loved ones, and a pretty throw. I love my chenille throw and of course lots of various pillows.
Good luck on your bedroom!
Old 07-21-2002, 04:48 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

TarainNC, I loved your idea about using an old window and contact papet to 'mat' your childrens pictures. I've got a question though. I know how to use glass paints and etching cream and have worked with them on various craft project before. But how do you use natural pressed flowers without putting them between 2 panes of glass? Do you apply them to the back side of one with non-yellowing glue? I wasn't clear on that.

Leslie9220
Old 07-21-2002, 05:28 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

pressing flowers on panes of glass

You can take pressed flowers, or frons and lay them down on the back side of your glass in the window, apply EGG WHITE, then put on homemade papers, cut to fit the panes, and "glue" them on with egg white. Egg white dries clear, and is handy to use, since we all have eggs. This is a good trick. You can also use tissue paper, instead of the homemade papers. Im telling you, this look is so neat. The fern frons look wonderful in the glass panes up against the light colored papers/tissue paper. So would pansies, and pressed lavender. Hope this helps.
Also, for the shabby chic look, you ought to get Rachel Ashwell's book on Shabby Chic. I have it, and it has wonderful ideas.
You can distress your own furniture, and also use "crackle medium" to make it look like it's an old piece. I use Crackle all the time in my home. Im into Primitives, and am an avid antique collector, and I also am a dumpster diva. I find all these neat things and re-do them. I have found old tables, and painted them with a dark color, added the crackle medium, then painted over with a white. They crackled nicely. I really enjoy the distressed look. White baskets are a must in a shabby chic home. When you find them, paint with acrylic paint, and you can even crackle them too. Put in some dried flowers, and sit in a corner of your room, or on a table. Very beautiful look. Im not into white walls, perse, but I appreciate them. I really do like pops of color, and enjoy painting anything and everything I can get my hands on. Of course I don't touch the old antique heavy pieces that are in my home! No way would I paint those. My dining room table needed something once, and I drug it outside, stripped it, then took chains to it! I hit it over and over again, making dents in the top. I used an awl, and made "worm holes" in it too. Then I took shoe polish paste, and rubbed it in all those dents and "worm holes." Looks like a 100 year old table now. I sure do enjoy distressing new pieces making them look OLD!
Old 07-21-2002, 06:00 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Crissy, Thanks for the egg white tip! I will definitely try that one.
I had to laugh at the way you distressed your table. I know that using an awl you can create artificial worm holes, and the shoe polish trick is cheap and gives a nice antique look. But you missed something - while distressing your table, with a chain you were de-stressing you too! I used to love to pound on sterling sheet stock too and forge bracelets back when I did silversmithing. It is great to get out aggression for the same reason.

P.S. What is your favorite brand of crackle medium ? I have had some mixed results,when I have used it, but then Missouri is humid that may have made it less effective.
(I have to use the stuff outdoors... my husband is sensitive to all most all paint,medium,stain and solvent fumes)so the indoors or garage is out for painting. Leslie9220
Old 07-21-2002, 06:29 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Leslie, you are right about the de-stressing thing! I can imagine though what the neighbors thought when they saw me flinging that chain at that table. Probably thought I was nuts! ha!
As for the crackle medium, my favorite brand is from FolkArt. The only drawback is, I can't find any BIG bottles. I have to buy lots and lots of those small bottles at Walmart. I live in Indiana, so I know about the humidity, believe me. It's so humid here right now, that our air conditioner is working overtime. I think the humidity is a factor in using the crackle. I don't have a problem with the smell with the crackle, so I do it in the house. Maybe this fall, you can have success with crackling, since the humidity will be down. I bought some "hide glue" to do BIG projects, and just haven't had too much success with the crackling with that product. I know it can be done, but it's not working for me. I wish it would, cause I paid $14 for that bottle. I think I have a problem in "waiting" for it to dry or partially dry. I want INSTANT RESULTS, and patience is something I have to work on! lol! With the hide glue, you have to have alot of patience! With the Folkart crackle medium, it's instant gratification! My kind of crafting!