Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 07-21-2002, 07:54 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Crissy, I can't see spending $1.99 for 2 oz of FolkArt crackle medium. I thought this might be a little cheaper than little 2 oz. bottles.
Go to 'Plaid' products on line or to 'FolkArt' Plaid products.order directly from Plaid. I found out on line that the item no is #696
for a 8oz. bottle of FolkArt crackle medium for $5.99. There is a handling & ground shipping charge of $2.95 which brings it up to
$8.94. Which leaves you close to back where you started.But you don't have sales tax or gas to pay, and if you order other 'FolkArt' line products or order just (4 bottles) FolkArt Crackle medium in 8.oz. (2 lbs. ground shipped) I bet you come out ahead ! 'Plaid' will also send out a free newsletter and look like they have some interesting projects ideas. I've got to go get something done with my day. I've been really lazy with my morning. Thanks to everyone for all the ideas so far!

Leslie9220
Old 07-22-2002, 09:52 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

You might also try oven cleaner. Just a little of it to get the effect you want ... it works fast, so keep an eye on it. Then just wipe off.
Old 08-01-2002, 06:37 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks Bzeemom,

Sorry I haven't posted to this site in over a week. Oven cleaner is pretty caustic. dosen't it pit the paint or is that part of the aging effect. I did have a good fleamarket find last weekend. A brass plated metal vanity loosing its plating with 2 smokey brown glass shelves with curved edges, not chipped.with an upright mirror that swivels. It was a good buy and the seller threw in an old stool with a similar but not matching iron base and ivory leather cushion still in good condition. I sanded the rust off with 4'O' steel wool Painted it with 2 coats Rustoleum gloss Black in the can. Now I know this is not a neutral or a white, and may not make it a shabby chic piece. But it is for my middle daughter who likes black plus bright color accents. (I would have painted it a very light grey green, hand painted pink and white primroses around the edge of the mirror and would have used it in a corner of the bathroom for towels, soaps, talc,and other toiletries. ) But When I saw the piece I thought of her immediatly and I saw the piece in my head painted as glossy black. I used vitrified glass paint to paint on bright blue morning glories (streaked with baby blue and white) as a border. on the top brown smokey glass shelve. I left the cushion ivory and painted the stools wrought iron base in glossy black to match. The vanity looks great like a designer piece for under $30 and matches her style as well. You all know how hard it is to get a teenager to like any-thing! Any one else turned an older piece metal furniture into a treasure.?

Leslie9220
Old 08-01-2002, 12:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Hi Leslie

The piece you just refinished sounds wonderful !! I havent found any great deals at yard sales or curb side picking lately at all.

Im gearing up for a giant moving/yard sale in 2 weeks. Im forcing myself to part with all of those "treasures" that Ive found or bought ( cheaply of course ) that have been takin gup space in the basement.

What have I missed out on using oven cleaner ? Can you crackle stuff with it ? Will someone give me the details on how to do this ?

Thanks !! Tami
Old 08-01-2002, 02:09 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

The trick to using oven cleaner is that you have to watch it. And, yes, it is strong ... but then if you want to have the crackle effect without a lot of work, or expense, it's a good one to use.

Using strong gloves, spray a thin layer over where you want the effect, and then wipe it off. You may want to repeat the process until you get the effect you want.

Where I live ... TX panhandle, many of the antique shops and flea markets around use that process because it destresses the wood without a lot of work or expense. After all, their bottom line is profit.
Old 08-01-2002, 03:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Thanks for the instructions !

One more question... If I have a painted table-no tnewly painted- can I just spray the cleaner on it and it will crackle it or does it have to be fresh paint ? Do you use a clear coat on top too ? I want to try this method !!
Old 08-02-2002, 06:07 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

:p ajrsmom Good luck on your garage/moving sale I'm sorry I live too far a way too come to it!

Leslie9220
Old 08-06-2002, 01:10 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Something for the laundry room or even a bathroom that I saw once in a book (don't remember which one) for window curtains, is to hang a rod (whatever kind, the normal ones for hanging curtains or even just brackets with a painted dowel. Then from the rod hang various wire hangers from it and off of the other hangers. Stretch the hangers into various shapes such as square or more rounded or triangular. And then fold in half, antique or older linens picked up from yard sales on each of the hangers. Or you could us old doll clothes, napkins, etc.... It blocks out some of the light, but is more for decoration. You can keep all the items you hang white and/or nuetral or put some up that add a little color.
I hope this made sense. I'll try to figure out what book I saw it in.
Old 08-30-2002, 06:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Contact Paper

My mom is the contact paper queen! It's an ongoing joke in our family. She uses it for EVERYTHING. You can get it cheap at dollar stores, and eventually on clearance everywhere else.

In my house I have a plastic planter that was ugly and my sister recovered it for me. I have a flea market desk that I repainted. But I didnt' sand it well enough, and the paint started peeling off in the highly used areas. So I covered the top of the desk and the fronts of the drawers with marble contact paper (just 1 roll, $1 at Dollar General). Looks fabulous.

My mom had a roll with herbs on it and she cut out individual squares and used them like tiles in her kitchen walls. Same thing with shells in her bathroom. She made a wallpaper and a mirror border the same way. Had covered tv trays to make endtables and a wooden board to make a marble looking coffee table. Used it as picture frame mats, had a whole matching set in the hallway.

She used some clear contact paper, stamped it, and we put up fish all over my daughter's walls (went with the theme). When my daughter changed to a jungle theme, we just took them off the wall. Mom did the same thing with leaf stamps for her own place.

Have fun!
Old 08-30-2002, 06:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Wow, your mom in sure ingenious. Can you explain a little further about how she made end tables out of TV trays? Thanks!