Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 06-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

What ideas do you have to conserve and not waste?

Hi every-one...

I am looking for ideas. I am a waster I don't mean to...but I do.
I start out good but then I waste.

Areas where I waste is food especially.
Some of my wasting is simply being lazy... I admit it. I don't put leftovers away right away. I make too much of something and it wastes because the gang gets tired of it.

I run the a/c alot. Today it is cool and it is off
I need to light a fire and hang clothes.
In the past I have bought clothes pins but they seem to get ruined quickly.

What are some essentials to saving.
An example is that I buy flour and it gets bugs after awhile.
I buy yeast and it expires.
I need ideas or a really good "talking too".
I know I need it.

I for example hope to make the shampoo and stuff that is on the site. I want to make things from scratch and I was doing super at crock pot cooking... for awhile

Any ideas?

I guess I go well and then get caught up in society.

What are some ways you all are dealing with or saving gasoline. How do you avoid "running" around so much.

Do any of you have just one vehicule? If so how do you deal with it?

What about internet servers? I pay $18 a month
Phone service? Do you all have the "extras"? I find myself complaining more about call-waiting and I don't use the others.

How about saving with your hobbies?
Photo/ film developing? Books? Pet needs? Sewing?

OK HELP! I want to be a good wife.

I have alot I can do here as far as gardening. I need to spend time with the kids and actually PLAY games instead of making excuses or being "too tired"

I love to have people over but I allow myself to stress and worry about how the house looks, that they may come from a wealthy family and we don't measure up and on, and on, and on.

I do have a copy of the TIGHTWAD GAZETTE II, but would really appreciate a copy of the original TIGHTWAD GAZETTE as I think it has more information. I am more than willing to cover the postage!

As far as clutter that has never really been a problem. My mom is a packrat and I go to the other extreme. I also try not to buy stuff I won't use. My husband teases me and says that I would throw him away too if I could! LOL

I like what you said about showing my appreciation for what Memin has provided!
Maybe I really need to show him. I never looked at it from that point of view.

I try to make menus and it works for awhile and then I always seem to fizzle out.
I want to call the local bakery Monday morning and try to get a few icing buckets from them. I can put sugar, flour and that type of stuff in there.

Memin hates me taking him to work because he hates using the phone at work to call home.

I like your thoughts on buying stuff for one project at a time. Maggy knows how to sew a bit (what she learned in school) so the two of us have decided to figure this sewing thing out together!

Is it true that one gets better milage with a full tank of gas?

Do you freeze baked goods?

Ok here is my BIGGEST boo-boo I really don't like to cook. I get frustrated when I do so well and then...like I said earlier fizzle out. So my remedy....yep exactly what you are thinking. OOOOh and that burns my hubby's muffins! LOL
Memin didn't grow up eating out and he hates it. Well he enjoys it sometimes but not often. I on the other hand...went to my mom's Friday because of the hearing. There had to be (I'm not kidding) 5 fast food bags in her car. A pizza box and DQ box inside and doughnuts.

I am SO afraid of being like her. Making lame excuses, nitpicking, playing the victim and laughing stuff off.

I have a great foundation. God and then Memin, both of them keep me grounded...and you guys! Thanks for the practical advice.

Do any of you struggle with cooking? How do you handle it?

Admit your mistakes so that NO ONE else can exaggerate them
You can NOT amputate your HISTORY from your DESTINY~ Beth Moore
Old 06-08-2004, 08:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I think first off you must put it in your brain to conserve and not waste. Its hard, If youre not used to cooking and baking, it can seem very tedious.
Plan your menus every week, shop for that stuff and stick to it! Start with simple things.
Stock up your shelves so you dont have to run to town so often. We live 63 miles from the nearest big town, and 12 miles from a tiny expensive family owned store. So, I really plan, because going to town is time and money. Both of which I dont have. So, we basically NEVER eat fast food. Its a major treat for the kids.
I know buying what ever you can at say Walmart, is much cheaper than the grocery store. Buy all toiletries, paper goods, sodas, cat and dog food, etc.. at walmart. make it a habit. You will save ALOT.
Plant a veggie garden with the kids, they will be doing something with you, and together you can reap what you planted. Plus, saving money on veggies.
Make a list of all you spend, and see where you can cut down. Must you have that? Do you need it? Why?
Start little until youre used to that, then add something else to conserve and save on.
If you can buy something used instead of new, do it! Go to thrift stores, garage sales if your needing a new lamp.(or whatever)
I needed some plastic juice jug things, they were $3.00 at Walmart, I found a whole bunch at the thrift store for $1 and at another thrift store- for .25 !!!
Its a way of life to get used to, but youd be surprised at how easy it is once youve got used to it. And how much you can do without!
Good Luck
Old 06-08-2004, 03:55 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

First thing I can say is, freeze your flour. Even if you don't have enough room, to keep the flour frozen. Just freeze overnight than store in a container. I always keep mine in an ice cream bucket. That way it won't get "buggy". Freeze your yeast, don't buy yeast in the little packets, buy it in bulk. Either bagged or jarred.

Like Idyroper said, plan your meals in advance, make a menu like the school does, and put a little note on the bottom, menu subject to change. That way it is not carved in stone.

Throw your leftovers in a big container in the freezer, when full make compost soup.

Plan one night a month that you will order out, that way you will have something to look forward too.

We only own one vehicle, but we get lucky in that department, as dh, has a company truck. But, it would not bother me too much if he had to use the one vehicle we have for work.(been there done that). I would just have him take the vehicle to work during the day(then I wouldn't be tempted to make unnecessary errands during the day). I would schedule as many appts. as possible in the evening. With only one vehicle, you don't have the extra to spend on insurance, inspection, registration, and yes the inevitable gas.

I was told with the AC, turn off at night, first thing in the morning, set it to 80*, and it won't be so hot inside.(I hate air conditioning, so I don't run mine as much as dh would like me too).

On hanging the wash, try to get the big wooden clothes pins, they work the best and usually don't snap apart as quick.

On the make your own, start small don't go "gung-ho" just make one small thing, get the feel for the good feeling. Then make something else, after making something the first time, each time afterwards if you like it, make double, and triple batches if possible.

With the phone we just have regular phone connection. But, we are internet junkies, and get cheap computers so we have DSL So against my frugal ways, but, it is cheaper than having a second phone line.

Like Idydroper said, plant a garden with the kids, let them reap their own benefits. And you are doing somethign together.

Take it slow, don't burn yourself out. Be sure to still relax!!
Old 06-12-2004, 01:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Pinkie Winky

Cathy, I agree with both ladies here! They have wonderful ideas! I've always been a procrastenator (sp?). But I made a list of things that I wanted to start doing. Like getting up earlier LOL I'm NOT a morning person and my whole family is. My goal is to get up with the rest of the family and spend the morning with them (DH works 3-11), then do errands and stuff for my mom in the afternoon once dh goes to work then 'pick up' the house, etc in the evening while the boys do their thing. I'd really like to start OAMC and start doing more frugal things like sewing, etc. So like I said earlier, I made a list of what my goals were and then next to each, what I had to do to achieve that goal. So far, I have 2 goals met!! Still a ways to go but you have to take baby steps!

As for leftovers, if I don't think they'll be eaten the next day or I know I won't use them within a couple days, I freeze how ever much I have leftover. Even if it's just one serving. Just put in a container, mark with name & date and freeze. Once a month, we have a smorgasboard where I clean out the freezer and stuff that needs to be used I thaw and reheat and everyone eats what they want.

Hang in there, girlfriend!! There's light at the end of the tunnel!!!

Pampered Chef Senior Consultant
Stacia's Kookin Korner

http://www.pamperedchef.biz/staciaskookinkorner

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
Old 06-12-2004, 08:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi everyone..

I have a really funny but serious question!

My family goes through toilet paper like crazy. I have no idea how to handle this. I mean I don't want to make too big of a deal but I can't afford to spend so much on toilet paper.

BTW, putting it in our room doesn't work!

Welcome Stacia! I have seen you on other posts! I hope we become fast friends too!

ldyroper what threads are you on?

Admit your mistakes so that NO ONE else can exaggerate them
You can NOT amputate your HISTORY from your DESTINY~ Beth Moore
Old 06-12-2004, 08:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by morelia92
I mean I don't want to make too big of a deal but I can't afford to spend so much on toilet paper.
Why not make a big deal of it? Someone...or maybe more than one person....is being wasteful. Unless you draw attention to the matter openly, this waste will probably continue.

I had to bring this matter up about 3 yrs ago. It seems that the two DS were the culprits.

At the time, my main concern was our septic system. It would have cost lots of $$$$ had we needed someone to come out and clear it!

Bring the matter up, gently, at your next family meeting.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Cathy

Hi!! I've been a member for a cpl of yrs but finally realized what a great site this is! I love it!!!! Can't wait to get to know everyone better

We have the same problem with TP!! LOL My hubby is always complaining about how much we use (and I'm the only female in the house of 4 ppl!! LOL) The only TP I buy is either Scotts double rolls (1 ply) or Soft & Gentle double rolls (2ply). These are the only ones that last us. A 4 pk will last about a wk ~ any others will only last a cpl days. I use coupons all the time and watch for sales on these brands. Last month Kroger was tripling coupons $.50 and lower and I had several $.50 off Scott TP. Well, it was normally $2.50, it was on sale for $2.00 so with my triple coupon of $.50, I only paid $.50 per 4 pk!!! I ended up getting like 10 pkgs!! HTH!!

Have a great weekend!!!

Stacia's Kookin Korner

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
Old 06-12-2004, 08:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Lightbulb P.S.

Oh, I 4got to suggest, too, that when you put a new roll on, squish the roll a little so that the cardboard tube is not completely round. This makes the roll not just spin around the holder.

Stacia's Kookin Korner

Old 06-12-2004, 08:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Re: P.S.

Quote:
Originally posted by ~*~Stacia~*~
squish the roll a little so that the cardboard tube is not completely round. This makes the roll not just spin around the holder.
What a great idea!!!!
Old 06-13-2004, 01:07 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Cathy, I don't know what brand of TP you use. But, I had the same problem about two years ago. Even after mentioning it several times, we could not settle the TP problem, how are you supposed to ration TP?? Nearly impossible, other than to assign each person their own roll. And see who runs out first.

The other thing to do, so that no one is "cuaght with their pants down" switch to a cheaper not so soft TP. That is what I did, and guess what it started lasting longer. The main one to complain....DS!!