Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 06-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Assistant Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Stacia~*~ View Post
Oh, I 4got to suggest, too, that when you put a new roll on, squish the roll a little so that the cardboard tube is not completely round. This makes the roll not just spin around the holder.
If you have an opened window in your toilet a squashed roll will also not blow around and leave loosened off paper on the floor, that's the problem I had years ago but no longer.

If you make too much food for dinner instead of eating it for 2 or 3 nights after put it into a container or zip baggy, label and freeze, this can make for an easy dinner another night or depending on what's cooked add extra to make it different. There are quite a few things you can do with cooked meat or veg for that matter that is left over, as above, I refuse to throw out food and if you don't say what it was last time to now, no one will know. Steaks can still be cut up/sliced for a sandwich tomorrow or put into a pie.
I don't, unless taco, burrito or that kind of serve yourself food, put the food on the table I ask how hungry everyone is before I put food on to cook generally and adjust from there.

Roberta my mum does that for her dripping outside tap and she has great green plants, I myself use a bucket to collect the cold water out of the shower until the hot water heats you can get a couple of litres that way and you can use the water for cleaning or plants.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Arrow Small Changes are BIG !

My clothespins are in a bag that hangs on the line. I bring it into the covered porch when I take down laundry ea time . The pins last alot longer and dont get nasty after rain n leave marks on clothes. I threw out our 30 yr old dryer and didnt replace it 2 yrs ago. I plan ahead on loads according to sports schedules and such. Little adjustment but its a routine now. In winter if I dont hang out I use wooden accordian style racks and place wet load over heat vents. It drys overnight and moisturizes the dry heat air. The jeans and shirts go on hangers on shower curtain rail. My MIL is 86 and has never owned a dryer. By the way we have raised 5 kids like this and everyone has had clean dry clothes ea and every day.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Nine Year Member

When a neighbor moved last month they put two trash cans out for trash pick up.... mmmm there is nothing wrong with them. So I brought them home and will use one as a second compost container (when it is full I turn it upside down in the sun for a couple of months). And the second will become another rain barrel for the garden.

Roberta
Old 04-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Assistant Moderator

I could have used those bins when I was looking for a compost bin lol. Good find

Old 04-06-2012, 04:53 AM
Assistant Moderator

When the city tore down a couple of houses, Gregg found concrete slabs buried. He had permission to take what he wanted, he got a door, concrete blocks and the long half of a tank they buried and used for flowers. It took him weeks to get it all home but that is what we are building our patio out of. I had weed blocker fabric. We needed to buy the staples for the fabric. The concrete blocks are buried with the holes up. We fill them with dirt. Flowers and solar lights will be put in the holes. The previous owner left a concrete slab about three feet square. That is placed on a corner of the patio for our grill. We are burying a few of the slabs for a stepping path to the patio. We will have to buy stepping stones for the other side of the house. So far our patio has cost us less than $15 just the staples.

Roberta I will remember that idea for compost!!
Old 03-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thumbs up Conserving in the kitchen

Carol:

I recomend that when you buy flower put it in your freezer for about a week. It will kill anything that might be in the flower and you don't end up with the bugs. I do that with all my flour. As for yeast Freeze it. When I have yeast I don't worry about a use by date. I have never had yeast go bad when I put it in my freezer.
One last hint isn't a cooking hint exactly but if you like fresh bread but don't make it enough (I make bread at least once a week) my help is that I use a bread machine. I can't make bread by hand due to health problems but the bread machine mixes it and I form it by hand and bake it in the oven.

Hope this helps
Old 12-06-2013, 07:25 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My collection of Rubbermaid and Tupperware containers make for a superb way to reduce waste (i.e. needless use of plastic wrap, foil, etc), and when it comes to conservation (electricity), hanging clothes on the clothesline out back makes for a wonderful way in which to conserve, as does having sailor's showers, and being selective when it comes to selecting water temperature when doing laundry.

When my children were babies I used cloth diapers, and when my forth child was born I switched to reusable cloth pads. I have since introduced pee-cloths to the home, which I, along with my daughters use.

I also reuse plastic Ziploc bags and plastic bags. A quick wash and rinse, pin on clothesline to dry... good for another round of use.

Aside from the above, my mantra is, salvage, reuse, make do with, and re-purpose. I strive to get every single last drop of use of of everything I use.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:12 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Angel View Post
In the past I have bought clothes pins but they seem to get ruined quickly.
There's nothing like the old 1960's/70's wooden clothespins. They just don't make them like that anymore. I purchased an old stash of vintage wooden clothespins a few years ago, and what a find they were.