Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 09-03-2004, 11:56 AM
FamilyCorner Senior Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

On the tp issue...the only way I could find the culprit who was literally going through it like running water was to assign each person their own roll and hide the rest. When the roll was used up it forced them to come to me and ask for another roll. The culprit, my youngest ds. (we already knew who it was but as we all know it was a case of "I didn't do it's") When confronted with the fact....he hung his little head and said "I'm not really using it, I'm playing with it. So, really, I shouldn't be in trouble."

The mind of a child works in mysterious ways.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:07 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

tp issue

In our family we have this problem also--we have three girls and myself so we do go thru alot of paper. I hope to get my hubby to conserve on the way he use his share of the tp. He always tells me it isn't him using the paper it is all of us girls.

I am also like some of the other ladies that posted, I get excited about oamc and then I fizzle out or I try to be frugal and my hubby doesn't take me serious he just laughs it off. He claims he works hard for his money he should be able to spend it how he wants and on what he wants. I told him that is what I am tring to tell you ---you work hard for that money try to preserve it.

I love al the frugal suggestions it is always good to keep learning new ideas. Please keep them coming.
Destyne 01/18/97

Old 08-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Ways to save on toilet paper

Hi:
I've found that the generic brand of toilet paper from CVS or Walgreens is a roll that lasts the longest. It is about $.50 a roll when on sale. I think it is comparable to Scott's tissue, regular. I find that anything marked "soft" will be used much faster than the above toilet paper I used.

[quote=morelia92]Hi everyone..

I have a really funny but serious question!

My family goes through toilet paper like crazy. I have no idea how to handle this. I mean I don't want to make too big of a deal but I can't afford to spend so much on toilet paper.

BTW, putting it in our room doesn't work!
Old 08-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I use Marcal TP & Scotts. Marcall is just like Scotts and cheap. I'll also use generic if Marcal or Scotts isn't on sale and I'm out of it. They all last long.

I always freeze leftovers. It's just me and my husband and I happen to love to cook. Let's say I make baked ziti, well since there is only two of us, I will make a full recipe and then split in two. I'll put it into 2 - 9x9 baking dishes. I will bake one for dinner and freeze the other.

When I make spaghetti sauce & meatballs I always make about 3 lbs of meatballs. I bake them on a sheet pan in the oven (it goes quicker than cooking them in a pan on the stovetop). I'll then add them to a big pot of homemade sauce and cook them for a couple hours. After dinner I package the leftovers meatballs with sauce into freezer bags. I write how many meatballs are in each bag. Some I will pack with more or less. These are great to keep on hand for meatball sandwiches or for another night of pasta and meatballs. All you have to do then is heat them up and boil water for the pasta. I always have them on hand.

I save chinese food plastic takeout containers. These work well in the freezer for packing leftover individual meals. I have so many, I hardly use my own tupperware.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Nine Year Member

I eat and reuse or freeze leftovers so food isn't wasted. I stockup on tp, tissues, etc. when it is on sale and use coupons.

Roberta
Old 08-30-2008, 02:58 PM
Assistant Moderator

I don't put the serving dishes on the table anymore. They have to get up and go back into the kitchen for seconds. I am trying to show my dh how much he overeats. I have no idea if it is working. He will eat until the item is gone now matter how full he is. This does not help the grocery bill!
Old 05-05-2009, 04:11 AM
Nine Year Member

I've been able to collect and save 30 gallons of rain water to use in the garden using 2 13 gallon kitchen size trash cans and filling empty milk jugs that I had saved to invert in the garden to water the plants slowing at the roots.

Roberta
Old 06-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Nine Year Member

HI!

When I buy the frozen tv dinners I save the trays and wash them up to use again. You can freeze leftovers on them, and cover with plastic bags and freeze then warm up in the microwave when you need just a meal for one or two people.
Also, when the grand kids come over they are easier to use as my DD likes to usually fill the kids plates with everything we have at our holiday dinners. Then when the kids don't eat it all the extra food goes to waste. With the divided trays DD can't put that much on the plates for the kids and they clean it better.

Also, I've gotten my family use to using the tv dinner trays for plates for quick snacks or a sandwich & chips. That way they aren't usiing all the plates in the house and I don't have to do dishes all the time. Also, they are microwaveable and can heat up food faster when you are running low on time.

I also save the pie tins with the plastic covers from the Graham cracker pie crusts. They make great take home/care package containers. Or gifts plates for cakes, cookies, candies or bread.

I also purchase the larger family sized packages of meats. I will bring them home and repackage them in sandwich and quart sized ziplock bags and write the experation dates of the meat on the sides of the bags. Then refreeze. A lot of times you can buy one get one free at the grocery meat counters.

At night I also use a night light in the kitchen instead of turning on the overhead lights an do this in the bathrooms too.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My friend buys and eats the Banquet frozen dinners, but he only uses the coupons inside the box for more frozen dinners. He gives me the others, which include ketchup and Chef Boyardee canned pasta. I use the coupons to buy cheap food and donate it to the food pantry. One week, Bi-Lo had the 24 oz. Ketchup, $.99. I had $.35 coupons which doubled, so they were $.29 each. In return, I give him free items I get with coupons at the grocery store. This week it was Bayer Advanced Aspirin, which was not only free but I got $.30 overage back on each bottle.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:07 AM
Nine Year Member

If you have a dripping faucet place a container under it until you get it fixed and you can use that water on your plants, etc.

When I have corn on the cob I pull the corn out of the water then pour the cooled water on the outside flowers. I do the same for hard boiled eggs, you can also pour the hot water on weeds to help kill them but be very careful so you don't splash yourself.

Roberta