Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-24-2002, 03:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Seeking tips on half-used candles

I received some very expensive scented candles for Christmas and have enjoyed them immensely, but I need some tips on how to use up every last bit of the remaining wax, which has outlasted the wick.

I did trim the wick to 1/4" each time I lit them and did let them burn in excess of 2 hours each time. Also gently pushed the warm wax adhering to the glass down each time I extinguished them. But ~ I still have half the candle wax remaining with no wick left.

I can't throw them away ~ yet. Any suggestions for reconstituting them as candles? Any suggestions as to what else I could do with that wax if not feasible to use as a candle?

Thanks for any help!

Sandie
Old 01-24-2002, 03:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

You could melt the candle and make a smaller new one with new wick. Make a tart if you have a tart burner,
To melt the candle place the glass in hot water in a pot on the stove, heat until pourable. Or dig the metal wick base out of the candle then zap it in the microwave until softened.
You can use small glass containers for new molds, frozen juice containers, tp rolls, if you save the tea light bases you can make new tea lights, half an orange peel turned inside out, almost anything you can make into a mold.
If making tarts use a small muffin container for a mold.
If you have anymore questions please ask.
Old 01-24-2002, 06:44 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Sandie! I know I emailed this to you earlier, but thought I would share it here as well in case it may help someone else.

Fire starters

Tuck dryer lint into the egg cups of an old egg carton. Drip candle wax over the tops of the dryer lint, enough to cover the lint is fine, doesn't have to be a thick layer, and it doesn't have to cover it completely. I used the cardboard type egg cartons, don't know about the white stryrofoam ones. Haven't tried those. They work great tho, just light them up and throw them in! I always used two each time I started the fire, but am sure you could use one.
Old 02-01-2002, 06:15 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question unused candle wax

Hi,
I'm new to the site but I read your question and have an idea. I read in a magizine or online somewhere, where you can cut the wax into little pieces and put them into a holder and just let them go. I haven't actually tried this. It also said that you could mix it with popouri.
Old 02-01-2002, 06:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

A chunk candle

They are very nice. Cut a taper candle down to size and pack in wax chunks around it in a glass container. I would only put the potporri around the outside edges where it is flamable, keep it away from the fire.
Old 02-02-2002, 03:33 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

half used candles

I like to put the left over candle in one of those little crock pots made for using potporri and the candle chips you can buy. Just drop the left over pieces in the pot and plug it in. It's also easier to remove any left over wick or the metal tab after it has warmed up a little. You get a much stronger fragrance than when they were candles too!
Old 02-02-2002, 09:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

THANK YOU for these great ideas! They are just the type of suggestions I was seeking!

Wouldn't you know it ~ I pitched the potpourri "warmer" a couple of years ago because I didn't think I would ever use it again! Now I will be looking for another one at garage sales ...

I am going to try the chunk candle idea right away. Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions and I am looking forward to hearing more!

Sandie
Old 02-02-2002, 06:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I simply save all my wax until I have quite a bit, and I melt it, I use a small electric fry pan, then i Put a wick into a pretty tea cup and make myself some lovely new candles. I simply use mactac glue on bottom and glue onto saucer, put a pretty ribbon around it, and presto, new candle and a lovely hostess gift. rycarda
Old 02-03-2002, 08:37 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have several large zip lock bags full of all the stubs and chips of burned down candles. I keep like scents in the same bag.
I have several of the little potpourri burners that take a tea light in the bottom. Purchased most of these at the dollar store. Tea lights are relatively cheap.
I put pieces of the saved candles into the top and light the tea light inside. You get a lot of scent out of those leftovers. Often more scent than you had when you burned the candles.
Ussually the candle wax turns white or pale when the scent is used up.
With this method you still have the wax left over to use on firestarters made with either dryer lint or pinecones but you know that you got the last little bit of scent (the reason that you bought the candle to begin with) out of it. You could always reused the leftover wax at this point to make yourself more tea lights if you have access to wicks! This would be particularly frugal too!
Old 02-04-2002, 05:13 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

If you want to make new candles out of the old, you can use a birthday cake candle as the wick to put in the center. Melt your leftover wax and pour it into your glass container. let it cool until tacky, but not too warm, stick the birthday cake candle down in the middle of it and let it finish setting up. A great way to use up partially burned birthday cake candles, as well.

Mom to Brita 6/12/91

Logan 10/30/98