FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Trash to Treasure (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/trash-treasure/)
-   -   Twist ties, frugal folks! (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/trash-treasure/17426-twist-ties-frugal-folks.html)

housefullofturkeys 07-23-2006 01:10 PM

Twist ties, frugal folks!

I never use them (well, maybe 5 per year). I always keep them. Any suggestions for what to do with them??
Thanks!
Jo-Anne

barbszy 07-23-2006 02:01 PM

They're good for bundling up power cords to keep them "out of the way." If you use elastic bands for this, the elastic will rot over time. Not so with a twisty-tie.

crochet2 08-01-2006 02:38 AM

Good morning all!

I also throw away the ones that come with the garbage bags, but I save the ones that come with children's toys, computer items, etc. They are so well coated. They are also great for holding fragile plants upward until they grow strong. Just not too tight!! For years I had a length of it in my toilet tank holding something together. Worked great. They are even realy good for holding cabinet doors together to keep the little ones out temporarily until you can get those cabinet "handcuffs" to keep the kids out.

Well ladies, take care - Norma

barbszy 08-01-2006 03:39 AM

"Cabinet Handcuffs" ROFLMAO Norma, that is so funny! Just like one of our friends (a parent) who calls playpens "Fisher Price Play Prison."

Never thought of using a twisty-tie to do that job but I bet it would work.

jrztomato 08-01-2006 03:56 AM

I use them to hold my plants to a trellis..the coated ones won't cut the stem
Repaired a roll up shade on the porch last week with one..the small hook that holds it to the hanging hook (from the porch frame) broke and I threaded a dark green one I had through the holes...the shades are dark green and from the floor it isn't noticable...worked out well...
If I need one longer than they come, I twist several together and make the length I need...

housefullofturkeys 08-01-2006 06:24 AM

You know, jrztomato, since I posted this my tomatoes have taken off. After one windy night I had to stake them all up and almost lost a few because of my negligence....so I have used a good many this way in the past couple of days. I just started gardening, so I can see in the furture I will need these twist ties for my new hobby!
Jo-Anne

Bilby 08-05-2006 02:39 PM

I re use my twistie ties but not save them for an extended period. Some look pretty sad by the time they are well used and thrown out.
I use them for power cords esp on electrical things that sit on the bench.

ellenmelon 08-05-2006 07:55 PM

I can't stand them and always throw them out, maybe I will learn something here!

cat lover 08-18-2006 12:47 AM

I use them a lot outside, securing the bags of potting soil after I've cut it open, bags of sand, etc. The power cord idea is a major use.

If you've ever lost the tiny screws in your eyeglasses these work well for a temporary fix. Cut all the paper off them to where you only have the metal inside wire and use it to hold your glasses together.

Use them aa Christmas ornament holders for ones you really don't want knocked off the tree and broken.

barbszy 08-18-2006 03:41 AM

Cat lover, I'll have to remember that eyeglass repair one!

I use ribbons to hang my Christmas ornaments. Started doing that when the Big DS was a baby so he wouldn't get hurt with those wire hooks. Red or gold ribbon looks nice on the green tree, also!