Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Toddlers

Toddlers What did your toddler do today? Is he getting into everything? Tell us all about the smiles and frustrations here!

Old 08-24-2003, 10:13 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My son tears his diaper up.. How do I stop this?

I have a 2 year old boy, and he takes his diaper off in the morning before he lets anyone know he is awake and tears it to shreds. I have tried putting onesies on him to keep him out of his diaper. But he now knows how to take those off. Same thing with duct taping his diaper on him, he just reaches through the bottom and tears it from there. I don't understand why he does this, or how I can get him to stop. I even thought of making him pick up his mess. but he still does it. Is this a cry for attention or what? I thought I gave him plenty of attention. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
Old 08-24-2003, 11:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Would it help maybe to put one of the one piece sleepers on him that way he cant reach in it like the short onsies? You could even cut the legs off shorter and cut the sleeves out if its too hot for long pants. If it was material that didnt stretch and you cut it off at the knee, he couldnt reach up into it. I have had a lot of luck finding these pretty cheap at yard sales and thrft stores that way if you have to cut them off, you dont feel bad about paying a lot of money for them.

If you have 2 piece pajamas, How about using childrens suspenders to hold up the pants? Put them on under his shirt that way he couldnt pull them off.

Hope this helps!

When my son was that age, I would put those sleepers on him in the winter and by morning he was always down to his diaper because he would unzip it and take it off. He thought it was fun to play with the zipper.

Good Luck to you!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 09-07-2003, 12:57 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

diaper

;-) He might be tearing it off because they are wet and heavy and uncomfortable. Once babies are old enough to recognize diaper discomfort they are ready to be encouraged to potty train. You might consider setting your clock to wake up before him so you can have time to take off the diaper and put him on the potty first thing.

Just a suggestion. Some kids are ready to be potty trained earlier than others and he is letting you know that he finds his wet diaper too yucky to keep on.

Viviana
Old 09-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I would have a monitor in my room to hear him stirring in the morning so as to get to him before he tore off the diaper. I agree he may be very close to being ready for potty trained. One piece sleepers are good idea-even if they are those horrible ones that snap up the back.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Is he taking the tabs off? I have a trick for how to diaper a baby so that they can't reach the tabs. You lay the diaper out the regular way, but put the baby face down on the diaper, bring the tabs around onto the back. It's considerably harder to get out of them.

Now if what he is doing is picking it apart without taking them off, that won't help.

Rani
Old 09-07-2003, 01:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My son hated being wet! He would take off his diaper, anytime and anywhere just to get out of them. I took that as a sign to start potty training, which I insisted dh help me with. It wasn't always easy, but we did it. He is now a healthy handsome young man. One that I am proud to call my own.
Old 09-07-2003, 03:25 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Sounds like he is ready for potty training......I trained all 4 of my boys at age 2 and they leaned real fast. I put cotton training pants on them, and explained when they got the urge to go, not to let it come out, but run to the bathroom and hop on the potty instead. Of course, they had to test it, and I heard,
"Oh no, mommy my feet are wet!" So next time the urge came, they held it and ran to the bathroom. Glad my sister-in-law told me about this method. Worked great and they never wet the bed once after that either!
Old 09-07-2003, 03:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Maybe it's time to get rid of the diapers. Be sure to get a plastic mattress cover first!

good luck!
Old 09-07-2003, 04:03 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Sounds like he wants out of those nappies. Is he only in them at night? My boys wanted nothing to do with nappies at that age and were only in them at night.
Also my boys were in beds with a side rail and could wake me if they did want to go to the toilet as they could get out. Is he still in a cot/crib?
Is he just bored in the mornings and the nappy is the only thing he can get to to play with?
It will work it's self out

Old 09-07-2003, 05:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

As I read these other posts, I am finding myself nodding and agreeing with the others. He DOES sound like either he is bored when he wakes up or he doesn't like the feel of the wet diaper.

Does he do this with the diaper any other time than when he wakes up in the morning? Like any time he's wet? If so, then yes, sounds like he may be ripe 'n' ready for potty training. If you go ahead with this, I agree with using cotton training pants. I don't like using Pull-ups, because it can make it more comfortable for them to be wet. I had good luck with my kids training them in plain boring white training pants, and having "reward pants" with designs on them. My son's were probably some superhero and my daughter's were something Disney. But don't start out with the cute ones... those are for when he's dry all day.

If not, if it's only when he wakes up before everyone else, then I agree that it's from boredom. So how about putting some toys in his crib, at the foot or in a shoebag hanging from the footboard, so he has something to play with when he gets up earlier than you?

Rani