Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Toddlers What did your toddler do today? Is he getting into everything? Tell us all about the smiles and frustrations here!

Old 09-09-2003, 10:12 AM
Friend of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

I had a daycare parent tell me once she put a potty chair in the childs room.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:15 AM
Friend of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Have you tried using pull-ups at night instead of diapers? Or even some of these new diaper/pull-up looking things they are advertising.

Is he generally pooping in the middle of the night? Maybe you could make him sit on the stool right before bed to try and go. Does he like stickers? Might try a sticker chart for a pooping in the stool reward.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I would put a potty chair in the corner where he poops..... perhaps decorate the wall......tell him big boys do it in the potty.... and I'd put pull ups on him at night.

Putting a little sticker board on the wall where he can see stickers or stars go on when he poops where he's suppose to might help..... Have you any idea when he goes poops in his diaper.. ? Perhaps trying to get up before he does might help...and get him on the potty before he goes......

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 09-09-2003, 12:45 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb

I have thought about this potty and diaper problem you are having.

Perhap he feels your tension about going potty even though you cheer him on. You may be feeling tense even though you are smiling and children feel those vibes.

He is old enough to understand this issue being discussed if you are talking it over with other people.Have positive short discussionswith him.

You haven't mentioned what time you and little one get up. Could that be part of your problem?

Is potty training always a happy time?

I find that with young children, their parents are their whole world....well, except for grandparents.

My suggestion is to be consistent with his training, get him pullups or underpants and get the bathroom routine going.

By the way, is he in a crib where he can't get out in the morning or is he in a junior bed where he is able to come to you?

Good luck to both of you!
Old 09-09-2003, 03:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
My son wasnt ready to train until he was 3. I tried everything before that but it was a constant fight.

What worked for us was a sticker chart--we picked out stickers that he really liked. I made a big weekly calendar and put it up right in the bathroom for all to see. He was really proud of his stickers.--and a candy jar filled with mini tootsie rolls, sweet tarts, m&ms... 1 for pee and 2 for poop. This was the way he could have any candy. It helped a lot that his birthday is OCt 27 and I used his Halloween candy! ;-)

It was constant monitoring but we made it through with a few accidents at home and none out in public!!

I can hear your frustration and completely know how you feel. I really hope things turn around fast for you.

One last thing..... Up until last year, I had to wake my son up at night to use the bathroom-He went to bed at 8:30 so I got him up around 1 am- ( he is almost 6). He would sleep so sound that he didnt even know that he would pee. Would it help to wake him up to go and then put real undies on him for the next few hours? This might be rough in the begining but it might solve the headache that you are awakening to.

Just another thought!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 09-09-2003, 03:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I wonder....

what if you told him that you have a problem with him tearing up his diapers, so you are going to put him in cloth training pants at night. He can't tear those up. I wouldn't do this without plenty of discussion with him beforehand so he knows it's coming.

What do y'all think of that?

Rani
Old 09-09-2003, 03:43 PM
Assistant Moderator

Does he have any older bros or sis?

Maybe he needs to go with dad so that he has a males version of things.

When toilet training mine I never got a potty, I got a smaller portable toilet seat that sits under the normal seat between that and bowl, and to all intents an purposes it looked like the everyday big toilet but not the big hole. Would sitting on the big loo like the big people help. When ds2 was was 2 1/2 we went on a 2 wk holiday, took the seat in plastic bag and a bottle of dissinfectant to wipe the seat each time, and we had no accidents at all.

What is his meal before going to bed? As we know different foods take different times to go through the body, so maybe re arranging what he has for what meal will make him more prone to going to the loo earlier. A bath also relaxes you, so maybe a bath and a sit on the loo then a favourite thing to do then dinner?.

I know it can be frustrating but it will work out.

Old 09-09-2003, 05:26 PM
kellyandkids

Cloth !

OK might be to simple an answer. I used masking tape to strengthen the tabs and it can certainy go all around.

Or you might be getting up early, too!
Old 09-09-2003, 07:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I shouldve said that I started out with a potty chair too but then used one on the seats that snap right on the toilet seat. We bought him a One Step step stool so that he could get upon the seat himself. He went with Dad to use the potty too. I think that helped a lot.

Cant wait to see what his little sister does when she starts following him to the bathroom! ;-)

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 09-10-2003, 09:39 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Still Nothing

While I appreciate all of the suggestions that y'all have given to me... Here is the situation that has not been described.. My son is in a Toddler Bed and has been for quite some time now... I have been getting up with him most times before him in the morning.. I bought him some cloth training pants, because I do agree that pull ups make a child to comfortable while training... he eats dinner at around 5:00 and goes to bed around 8:30 9:00... He had a good day yesterday with no accidents in his pants, but he refused to go poop.. he held it all day and when he was supposed to be going to bed he had a tummy ache and finally he pooped... His dad is never around so I don't have that male figure to demonstrate.. All he has is me.. My family lives 1000 miles away, no siblings.. His dad is in the Coast Guard and is always on a boat, so please don't think it is because of a neglectant father.. because its not... So if this helps any with suggestions please respond

Thank You All