Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Toddlers

Toddlers What did your toddler do today? Is he getting into everything? Tell us all about the smiles and frustrations here!

Old 02-06-2003, 01:48 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Big Sister

My dd is soon to be a Big Sister in about 2.5 months, any ideas on how to make the new change easy for her ? And any crafty ideas for her to make to announce her being a new big sister. She is 21 months old

Winnie
Old 02-07-2003, 02:59 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

BIG sISTER

I had my two girls about the same ages apart as you will, 2 1/2 years apart. I remember that the first week was very difficult because we had quite spoiled our first, but what child of that age shouldnt you spoil. I tried to include her in as much as possible. She was very curious. The first rules were set out as soon as I came home from the hospital like being really careful around the baby. She did want to hold her and although she was weeks old I did let her hold her 1/2 way with my arms right there. She was very satisfied just holding her for one or two minutes tops. She also helped get diapers and do the taping sometimes. It was apretty smoothe transition for all of us, but dont get me wrong, I had them both crying on my lap sometimes and then I wanted to cry too. They developed a close friendship as the little one got older and played well together. If they were born in the reverse order I dont know if it would be the same because my second child is a lot more stubburn and needs alot sometimes. Best of luck to you and your family. It is a wonderful and exciting, tiring, and endlessly working roller coaster of fun.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:49 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing

I am pregnant with my second child which is due in about a month. We are having another girl. My daughter is 3 1/2 (4 in May) and she can't wait for "her baby" to come. She is very spoiled as well. We have made a sweatshirt with her hand prints on it writing "I can't wait to get my hands on you!" on the front and big sister on the back. She loved doing the craft and wants to make her sister one too when she comes home. Also something that you might want to check into is classes at the hospital where you will be delivering might have some sort of sibling class. We are going to one on Tues. They are going to talk to them about feelings, things they can do to help Mommy, and then show them the nursery. Good luck with your new addition.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:57 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

big sister/big brother

I would suggest that you have a shirt made up saying big sister or big brother and a matching shirt that says little sister or little brother and have the older child make a birthday card welcoming the new addition and let the older child in on some of the decision making such as naming or deciding what to dress the little one in or any other choices that are available to the sibling.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:17 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing "The BIG SISTER"

Hello,
I wanted to let you know my suggestion for the "big sister". Start making hats, tee shirts, etc that say "I am the big sister!" The start making a "goodie" bag for the big sister. And when the baby comes and someone comes over, There is always a gift or two for the big sister. Like things to color, craft ideas, paints, stuff to keep her busy. Fun stuff to do.

Also, when you come home from the hospital have someone bring a cake that says "Happy BIG SISTER!" And always refer to the new baby as "our" new baby.

Good Luck!
Leace
Old 02-08-2003, 02:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Check out the hospital that you are having the baby at. They often times have programs that help older siblings get used to the idea of having this new little person in their lives.

You can also start a scrap book with your child. Take pictures showing your daughter listen to your tummy, helping pick out a few new things for baby, etc. Really, just get her involved in the whole process, and make sure you let her know the her opinion in highly valued.

One word of caution. When the new baby has arrived, avoid leaving them in the same room together. I only say this because although my oldest loved her baby sister dearly (she was 22 months when she was born) she also had no idea that you weren't supposed to pick a baby up by the head, climb into the playpen with them, try to swing them as fast as you can in the swing, etc and so forth. Fortunately, my middle one is just fine, but in the early days I experienced a lot of panic.

Congratulations on the upcoming arrival and good luck!

"Look not mournfully into the past. It comes not back again. Wisely improve the present. It is thine. Go forth to meet the shadowy future, without fear."
~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow ~
Old 02-08-2003, 06:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My oldest daughter was about the same age when I had the second. As they are now getting older, it is fun to have reminders of them as little ones. I bought a baby doll, and when my mother in law brought the oldest one up to the hospital, I was nursing the baby. We handed the oldest one her "baby" and she started to lift up her shirt to nurse like mommy. She became best friends with her daddy, because I had to be in the hospital for several days, because I had to have the baby cesearean. My oldest will be 20 this year, and today is the second oldest's 17th birthday. Time flies so fast. Enjoy them both for the individuals they will become. We also have a 10 yr old son. When he came along, we kept up the tradition, I gave the girls each their own baby when brother was born, but they got their babies at a big brother/sister class sponsored by the hospital.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:39 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb

We have 4 children, so we're not new to this kind of thing. This is kind of long, but well worth the reading! When I had my 2nd child I asked the same question. Have you tried looking in your area for a Sibling Preparation class? We did that and it was one of the best things we ever did for my daughter. There are also books out there on preparing your child for a sibling. They provide a wealth of information. We also took my daughter with us whenever I had a dr visit. It gives the child a chance to hear the heatbeat of "their baby", which will open the door for a whole new world of questions. If you are creative, you can make it fun and exciting for her with your answers. If you have a sonogram, be sure to take your daughter. If she hears you getting excited about "her baby", she can't help but be excited also. Ask the tech if you can get a picture of the baby for her. At one of mine, they typed on the picture "Jessica's baby sister" for my daughter. That extra little touch meant so much to my daughter. Let your daughter pick out clothes, diapers, blankets and anything else that's small. It'll be her contribution and she'll feel very much a part of the excitement. Another one is let her pick out the outfit that the baby wears home, or in his/her first picture. You could also buy or make a shirt that says, "I'm a big sister" or something of the sort. This is also something we did for each of our kids and they looked forward to it every time. All of these were wonderfully sucessful for us, but this is one of their favorites. Before the baby is born (right away if possible!), go to the store and buy something your daughter wants or would want. Wrap it and put it with your hospital bag. Also, let your daughter pick out something for the baby (we always did a doll or stuffed animal) to give her/him right after birth (or soon there-after), either wrap it or don't. When your daughter comes in to meet "her new baby", give her the gift and say something like, "Look what he/she brought for you!" Our kids were between 20 months and 7 years with the new births (that is, 20 months was the very youngest any of them were with a new one and 7 years was the oldest with a new one). Each one of them loved the tradition even though some of them knew it wasn't really from the baby. Twp examples of what we did for them is a magna doodle with one birth, a doll and a diaper bag with another. They still speak of several things to this day because it touched them so much. They are great ways to welcome both the baby and a big sister!
Old 02-09-2003, 09:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

While I'm not a 'mom' myself. But I watched my neighbors bring their second darling boy into the world recently. And they have had absolutly NO problems with any kind of jealousy or anything negative with their 33 mo old.

How did they keep the negatives from happening? Very easily actually.

They included the first son right from the moment they knew they were pregnant. He's been anxiously awaiting a darling baby brother or sister for a while now. He has so much to teach him. And he has a huge role in helping mommy take care of him.

Now that the second boy is home, the first one is so adorable with him.

When his grandma takes him to McDonald's, without the baby brother, he gets mad that his baby brother isn't with.

Also, when mommy is pumping milk, he is very eager to let her do her work for 'his baby brother'. The only time he isn't a sassy and pushy boy is when he has to wait for something being done about his new baby brother.

It simply is amazing! I've NEVER seen a child like this one before about a new sibling.

My only suggestion is to not leave the first child/ren out of it at all. Rather let them know how important they are to the new one and all they have to teach him/her and how they are so needed to help mommy and daddy! They love to be a part of it and to help mom and dad.

Good luck.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:18 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Maybe make a t-shirt that says big sister on it for her to wear to the hospital when her sibling is born