Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Toddlers

Toddlers What did your toddler do today? Is he getting into everything? Tell us all about the smiles and frustrations here!

Old 02-10-2002, 06:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

shocking Today, my toddler ...

... reached another milestone.

I was sitting at the computer doing some work. The older four children were all downstairs with a neighbor girl playing N64 games, and my dh was down there, too, working in his shop area. The toddler was napping in his crib.

I heard a door open, and jumped up to see what was going on. As I rounded the doorway from the livingroom to the hallway, I saw my toddler coming out of his room!!

He had climbed out of his crib!

I sure hope he doesn't make a habit of doing that in the middle of the night!

Kelly H.
Old 02-10-2002, 07:03 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

LOL You're done for!

I hated that when my kids learned how to climb out. Bedtime was never the same after that.

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 02-15-2002, 06:45 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

phone use

We all regret when our toddlers climb out of cribs or give up naps. I was on the phone trying to straighten out an insurance problem when the lady I was speaking to said she thought someone was trying to talk to me. I didn't hear it since I was talking also. I listened and suddenly I heard this tiny voice saying,"Grandma, Grandma!" I asked what she wanted. She replied," Grandma, I want to talk to you and you were on the phone. I talk to you on the phone, too!" She had gone into my bedroom to use the phone. Now this was the logic of a two and a half year old.
Old 09-06-2002, 10:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Crib tents?

My dd (2 1/2) is at this stage as well, although she is just balancing on the side right now. I'm waiting for the infamous "clunk" from her falling off. She has developmental delays and should still be in a crib for now. She is not aware of what 'danger' means. I'm told there are such things as 'crib tents' that go over the crib and this helps by keeping the child in the crib. I don't like to treat her like an animal in a cage, but I can't always get her out when she is ready. Has anyone had any experience with these? She would be very dangerous to even be free to roam her room. (It's her sister's room as well.) Even from her crib she has pulled down the curtains, or when free-tries to climb on top of the dresser, etc. It's as kid-proofed as it can get, but she still will find something! (her nickname is Houdini around here!) Any advice?!
Old 09-08-2002, 07:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

no crib tent, but today my toddler ...

I've never used a crib tent myself - too expensive. About a month after I posted my original post, we set up the toddler bed and took down the crib. My son is now 25 mos old. He manages to fall out of the bed on occasion, so we have an old crib mattress next to the bed - during the day, we slide it under his bed.

My son climbs on the dresser, too. Our blinds are all bent up because of him playing with them. I've given up trying to protect him. There have been a few things that he's gotten into (clean steak knives in the dishwasher) that have hurt him mildly, and he's learned real quick not to repeat those actions. But, his balance is amazingly good. He's been climbing on tables since he could walk, but doesn't do it as much now.

Today, my toddler had a fever. He woke with it yesterday, and today he still has it, along with diarrhea. But, he is bound and determined to potty train himself! I have him in a diaper today, but he keeps taking it off and telling me he has to pee. Sure enough, he goes when I put him on the potty. He had only one small 'leak' accident yesterday, and none today. (It's his bowels we had problems with today!)

I wish all my children had been this easy. But, then again, he is much more difficult in other aspects, so I guess this is God's way of helping me.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:11 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

WOW how great that he is bound and determined to potty train himself! That is so wonderful! No more diapers pretty soon!

My little one has shown no interest in the potty yet, other than in taking off her diaper when it's a little too wet or messy! That's a good sign, now if we could just move on!

I checked out some crib tents online and they were much more expensive than I thought they would be. Around $65 to $85 and not quite sure what the diff in price was except maybe quality? I think I'll try ebay or one of those smaller children's auction/sales sites...if I can remember them! Thanks for the info! And good luck on the potty training!
Becky
Old 09-11-2002, 03:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Bed

Once a toddler can climb out of his crib, it's usually a good idea to switch to a bed so he doesn't hurt himself. I never had a problem becaue my son was in a bed before his first birthday. (he saw that bed that looks like a car and that was it!:p )

Amanda
Old 09-12-2002, 09:49 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I did switch my 2 middle kids to toddler beds when they got out of their cribs...it's just that my youngest has some developmental delays and she really wouldn't be safe in the room. I would probably have to remove the dresser and take curtains down etc., because she just doesn't get "danger". She shares it w/her 5 yo sister and we just don't have the room to take out things. I don't know. I'm torn about this issue! So far, so good. She's basically only in there when she sleeps, so it's not that bad. Thanks for your help though!
Old 09-21-2002, 11:47 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Christmas of last year my daughter made the decision of getting ousted from her crib. We redid her room from baby Winnie the Pooh to a spring butterfly flower sort of theme. She was in her crib as we were stenciling and sponge painting I turned around to see her leg up and her body go over. I told her no and then again that night just like a little escapee out of prison, she tossed out her blankee first (I laughed so hard) and then up and out she came. So that was the last night in/out of the crib. Next day we set up her new "Big-Girl-Room" I had a single bed already set up in there for me to sleep on for nights when she was sick, so I just took it off the frame and put it right on the floor. Pretty little dust ruffle and fun bedding and nighty-night she went! We also screwed her bookshelf to the wall and put her dresser in the closet and put latches on the closet door. She has a TV and vcr also in her room but they are up on a wall bracket Way out of her reach. Her room is pretty toddler safe! I am SO cheap so buying a toddler bed just seemed like a short term purchase. As she gets older we just buy different bedding and then eventually put the railing back underneath it!

Here you can see pictures of her room!

Site removed by moderator (cat lover) because it is no longer available

wife to a great man-Bill,
who is a wonderful Daddy
to our daughter
Caitlyn born 4-03-00

Last edited by cat lover; 11-10-2013 at 02:59 AM.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

shocking Today, my toddler

....today my toddler (turning 2 in just 2 days) stuck a few grains of rice up his nose during dinner.

Had to get the nasal aspirator to remove the last one