Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Toddlers What did your toddler do today? Is he getting into everything? Tell us all about the smiles and frustrations here!

Old 10-28-2002, 09:06 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am so looking forward to that day but for now it seems like it will be longer then I would like for that. We have tried to do this but we always hear the holler "Mom Sammy's climbing on the top bunk!" So we wait on that a bit longer. In time though it will all work out and everyone will actulally get some sleep
Old 10-28-2002, 02:03 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi there,

Everyone has mentioned the bedtime routine which I personally swear by. My kids are 7 & 9 now and it is so ingrained that they actually miss it when they go to a friend's house to sleep over.

The other option if you haven't tried it yet is to impose consequences-at least for the five year old. The two year old obviously wants to do whatever big sis is doing so she'll catch on quickly.

My daughter loves her bedtime stories and if she is dawdling getting ready or otherwise pushes past her bedtime then she loses her story. After a couple of times they get the message quick. You may have to live through some tantrums, but as long as you hold firm they will not test you too often.

If a consequence at bedtime doesn't seem feasible you could try taking away a favorite tv show the next day or before bed etc. whatever it is that is motivating to that child can be used to reinforce positive behavior.

Try the if/then messages: "If you stay in bed, then you will be allowed to watch Blues Clues tomm." or something to this effect. Each child is different so what works for one won't work for another. When my son would get out of bed we used 1 minute time-outs and then put him back in bed. This worked well for him at age two. My daughter has never sat in a time-out, but she doesn't like to lose privileges so this works with her.

Another thought is to put one girl in a sleeping bag on the floor. This could be used as a privilege or reward also as it is fun for kids to do the unexpected. My son went through a phase where he didn't want to be alone at night and my daughter slept on the floor in a sleeping bag next to him for three months. They thought this was great.

Good luck, and remember that this too shall pass. They are only little once.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

We also went through this problem and found some good ideas in some sleep books I had used for when my boys were babies. The two I really like are "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child"
by Marc Weissbluth and "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems"
by Richard Ferber. Turns out they have good ideas for older kids too. For example, we got the idea from one book to instill good betime behavior by saying "When you stay in bed and are quiet, the door to your bedroom stays open. YOU have the power to make it stay open by being quiet." This would help give them a sense of control. Of course, the first night we tried this, we had to shut the door a couple times! (Only shut it for a minute or two -- it's explained more in the book.)

Another thing that helped was listening to tapes. We love "The Floppy Sleep Game" by Kathy Peel and also get story tapes from the library.

Good luck and hope this helps!

~Leslie
Old 06-02-2014, 09:23 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Bedtime (in my house) was something I always took seriously. (Bedtime was bedtime... NOT fun-time or game-time).

I'm old-fashioned/old-school, so spankings were par for the course when it came to bedtime battles. I recall my mom once saying to a family member who made the claim that "spankings don't work for me"... "then you're not doing it right".

I remember one evening my youngest (bio son) was bent and determined to balk at house bedtime rules, so I went into his room and gave him a good what for. After he had time to settle down, he reverted right back to his escapades, pushing my buttons even further, so I decided to teach DS a good lesson, while at the same time extending a stern message to the rest of the children, "this is what happens when you are put to bed and don't abide by the rules", and I proceeded to administer a good old-fashioned bottom warming twice as severe as the first.

DS never acted up at bedtime again, and neither did any of the other kids.

As another member so stated, spanking isn't for everyone, but I can tell you from experience, spanking in my home worked wonders.