Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Toddlers What did your toddler do today? Is he getting into everything? Tell us all about the smiles and frustrations here!

Old 10-14-2002, 01:00 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Giving up the bottle and/or paci

What did you do that worked to get your child to give up the bottle and/or paci?

Jennifer
Old 10-14-2002, 05:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My kids hated pacifiers, so they never had to give them up. Can't help you there!

But to get rid of the bottle, put water in it. And give them a sippy cup regularly throughout the day. You can also try different sippy cups; start with the ones that are easier to drink out of first.

You can also have the child go "cold turkey"; tell him or her that the bottles are all gone. Keep them in a closet just in case this method doesn't work.

Good luck!
Old 10-14-2002, 06:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

For the binky problem - I have a couple of ideas:

Cut the tip off the binky- they won't be able to suck on it but may still carry it around. We had success w/ that method.

Take a needle and prick a small hole in it- same thing - they won't be able to suck it, but it's not obvious to them that something is wrong.

You can try asking the child to give it away! To the trashmen, to another baby, etc.

All of these have worked for me! Good luck- this is a very trying problem so have patience! One thing to remember you will have more luck if the child "thinks" it's his/her idea.
Old 10-20-2002, 11:04 AM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

My son just turned 2 when we asked him to give up the bottle. We told him now that he just turned 2 that he was a boy not a baby. Because he was and is enthralled with the garbage truck, my husband (who initiated the whole thing about givingup the bottle, as my son has me wrapped around his finger) told him we should throw the bottles away and let the garbage truck take them away.

My son did throw them away. For 3 nights, he asked for his bottle. We reminded him what happened with it, and he was content enough to accept a sippee cup instead.

Now, he drinks out of a regular cup, but prefers a sippee cup before bedtime (he will be 3 on the 31st). So, now, I am trying to think how to get him off that.

http://foodpursuit.blogspot.com
Old 10-20-2002, 12:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

The soother was our daughters best friend! Upon advice from an older, wiser mom; I waited until our daughter was old enough (around 2 I think) and then I cut a hole in the end of the soother and did not tell her. When she went and got it, she sucked on it a couple of times and declared "soo soo broken". I suggested that she throw it in the garbage because it was no longer any good. She declined and tried it a couple more times, asking me to fix it. I told her that I was unable to (but inside my heart felt broken!) and then she threw it in the garbage herself. That night she cried all night, but I reminded her that the soother was broken and that she had thrown it away. That was pretty much the end of it. I am really glad that it was a soother and not a thumb!!!!
Old 10-20-2002, 12:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I nursed my kids and never gave a pacifier to mine but here are some tips that I have read in the past somewhere.....
cut the nipple off pacifiers, tell him/her that now that they are big, put them the pillow so that a fairy (of sorts) will come to take it to a baby that needs it, and for a bottle give it without the nipple attached.
CulinaryJen - give the cup without the lid

If a man says something and no woman hears it....is he still wrong?

Well, nobody's perfect - Osgood E. Fielding III
SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959)

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 10-20-2002, 12:54 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: The North Country in New York State. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I suggest going slow. Give him his favorite drink in a sippee cup and his least favorite in the bottle for a bit... Talk to him about giving up his binkie... tell him he can sleep with it but when he's playing he doesn't need it. Have him put it in a certain spot so he can go visit it and perhaps lie down and suck it for a few minutes when he needs it... but don't let him have it unless he's in bed. That is what worked for me. Then, once he's not so dependent upon it, you can take it out of his bed after he falls asleep and set it in "his spot"... remove it a little at a time.

Good luck to you.

We must make our homes centers of
compassion and forgive endlessly.
~Mother Teresa
Old 10-20-2002, 05:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I did pretty much what Ms Rose did...

I explained to my daughter that her "Suckie" was for babies, and not big girls. If she wanted to use it, she had to use it on her bed only. If she wanted to do "Big Girl" things, like play and go places with me, then the "suckie" was not going to be part of that. She was already over three years old when we did this.

She still needed it at night, so that I could get some sleep ( if you know what I mean) but quickly tired of spending time on her bed with her suckie during the day. Eventually it was lost and "couldn't " be replaced. She cried for a few nights, but transfered her security needs to a favorite bedtime blanket.

As for the bottle, I was very lucky. At 15 months, she cut all four one-year molars at the same time, and sucking on the bottle was too painful for her. Since we had introduced a cup at 6 months for juices, it was available to her, and we just switched over. She had rejected the bottle because of the pain, so they all just "dissapeared" never to be seen again. It was a Godsend.
Old 10-20-2002, 07:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We gathered up all of his binkies. We had one everywhere...in each car, every room, purse, diaper bag...lol! My son threw them into the garbage barrel and we had a binkie funeral for them. After we had our "services", my husband lit a fire in the garbage barrel for the grand finale. As the garbage and the binkies burned, my son was saying his goodbyes. Never had a problem with him asking for them again.

Jodi

Last edited by sportsmom21; 10-21-2002 at 02:36 AM.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:24 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: my family is currently stationed at the Little Rock Air Base in Arkansas
We never had a problem with the bottle. Don't remember who told me how to do it but it worked great on all three kids. When they were just starting out on juices and other drinks besides formula or breast milk, those drinks went into sippie cups. Now of course they weren't quite old enough to hold them (if I remember what they were doing around 4 months!! it has been a little while!!) but they quickly caught on. By the time they were ready to come off formula, or before, they were using a sippee cup. We never put bottles in bed with them either.
The paci hasn't been a problem til now. My girls were both broke with no problems by their first b-day. My son, however, is a different story!! He is now 2 and a half and he still wants that thing to sleep with!! He can only have it when he is going to bed though and usually spits it out after falling asleep. I am going to try some of these suggestions. I am so embarrased that he is still on it!! Wondering if maybe it has something to do with me breast feeding him til he was 18 months. He was hard to break of that too!!