Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Toddlers What did your toddler do today? Is he getting into everything? Tell us all about the smiles and frustrations here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well stated stayhomemom!! This is such a passionate argument FOR leashes that I encourage you to share this. Why not send this to Ann Landers and Abby's columns? I'm personally sick of reading the petty things people write to them about as well as their liberal take on things.

As for leashes--I'm going to Virginia Beach with my 2 oldest dd's and grandkids later this week and I WILL be buying a "leash" for my 2 YO dgs. He is ALL boy and extremely active and curious. A wrist strap would never hold this child so it will be a leash and pity the idiot who feels compelled to make any derogatory remarks. I adore this child and would simply die if he were ever lost or kidnapped because I was afraid someone would think me wrong to put him on a restraint. I am well prepared to come right back and in the face of anyone, be they young or old, man or woman that think they have the right to judge us using one.
This child already likes to pretend he's a dog and crawls around on all 4's while whimpering like a dog--maybe I can train him to drop on command and act like this if anyone says anything.

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 08-05-2003, 09:17 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks Jayne! My kids do not mind the leashes at all. In fact, when I get them out they say "be doggies"! They like to pretend and have fun, just like all kids. This, in no way, means that I am treating them like dogs. Kids are kids, they do not listen 100% of the time, they're curious and there little legs have to run. For that reason, I am going to do everything in my power to protect them and still let them have fun. That's what the leashes are for. I have never gotten any comments (not yet anyway) but I have gotten a lot of dirty looks. I just look right back, daring them to say something and when they do I will ask them if they have ever lost a child, if they know what that feels like. I saw some comments on another website forum about this same topic. They said if you make your children listen you don't need the leashes. Well, if anyone says their child listens 100% of the time, never runs away, always holds your hand ALL OF THE TIME you are out, then, I'm sorry but I would call them a liar because that is impossible or else the child is sick. My kids are good and they listen MOST OF THE TIME, but they are kids, they're curious and they want to run. Who would want to be stuck in a stroller for several hours? Even moms and dads would want to walk around a little, maybe even run, after sitting for that long.
I'm sorry I get kind of crazy on any subject about kids. My kids are my life and I would die if anything happened to them, especially if I knew it was something I could have prevented.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Quote:
They said if you make your children listen you don't need the leashes.
OK I have to wonder if this was a Super Mom who said this or if it's people don't have kids? GIVE ME A BREAK--my 2 yo dgs is IMPOSSIBLE to control. He's a BOY and he's 2! I can feel my blood pressure rising just thinking about this.

Jayne

Old 08-05-2003, 09:35 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I think it was someone who was fooling themselves and liked to think they were "super mom" and that their kids are perfect little angels. People like that drive me crazy.
Old 08-17-2003, 03:42 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have the Elmo leash/harness that I bought at Walmart. I use mine a good bit on our 2 yr old son but I wanted to add another way that I use his harness. He wants to keep trying to stand up in a grocery cart even with the so called child belt on. I clip the harness clip to the cart so he can't fall out on his head. I've had more Moms tell me that is such a great idea to keep them safe.....just thought I'd share. ;-)

Tammy
Garrett's MOMMY
Old 08-17-2003, 03:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Mommy2Garrett
I wanted to add another way that I use his harness. He wants to keep trying to stand up in a grocery cart even with the so called child belt on. I clip the harness clip to the cart so he can't fall out on his head. I've had more Moms tell me that is such a great idea to keep them safe.....just thought I'd share.
Tammy

Tammy,

Welcome to Family Corner!! I think you will find this to be one of the very best places on the web!

Even though my DD & two DS are now to old for the harnesses/leashes, I hope to one day have dgks. I will have to keep that in mind!

Thanks for posting! Hope to see you on other threads here too!

Cindy
Old 08-17-2003, 08:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Tammy - I'm glad you found us here at familycorner! Your Elmo harness sounds cute. It's amazing what little Houdini's they can be!

Carol

Old 08-20-2003, 04:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Amanda had received and email and asked me to post this persons comments here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Over the past while I have been searching the web for anything/everything to do with a toddler harness/leash. There is no shortage of what is, in my opinion, senseless conversation on the endless number of websites about whether to harness/leash a child or not. I do not see how the issue is of anyone's business but the parent. If someone wants to harness their child it is because they themselves know that child and obviously feel that it is necessary and BECAUSE THEY LOVE HIM/HER they will do what they need to to keep them safe. How is that an issue for debate??? The people who disagree with the use of a harness...I suggest you do something more useful with your time for complaining and pick an issue that is actually HURTING someone (heaven knows there is no shortage of those).

I am looking for a good quality baby harness/leash for my 14 month old little girl. I saw a mother and her little son who was wearing a harness that looked like a knapsack. She was from England and bought it there. I cannot find anything better than a basic leash and was hoping for something a bit cutter. Any suggestions of where I may be able to find a cute and comfortable harness for our child.
Your help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Zuzana
Old 08-20-2003, 04:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hmmmm that one got me to thinking. Why not just put a small backpack on the child then hook a leash to it?

A funny note here--we used a leash on my grandson when we went to Virginia Beach a couple of weeks ago. He is an INCREDIBLY active 2 year old and we were not only visiting the very busy Marine Science Museum but the beach and shopping area as well. He did quite well with it. We received no negative comments (the we heard anyway) and he LOVED it. The next day he kept bringing it to me to put on him again.
We DID receive glares from a woman who appeared to be with her daughter and grandkids. She would glare at Jarod then at me then his mom. Jarod was in the floor at the time so not sure if she was upset that we had him "leashed" or that he was cleaning the floor for the musuem. I was ready for any comments but darn it, she kept them to herself. By that point I was tired and ready for a good argument. ;-)

Jayne

Old 08-20-2003, 08:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We had Luke on the leash yesterday at the Baltimore Aquarium. He did well. No negative comments, not like I would have put up with any ;-) since the Aquarium is NOT toddler-friendly. We couldn't have the stroller in there, so I didn't see any other option.