Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Toddlers What did your toddler do today? Is he getting into everything? Tell us all about the smiles and frustrations here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

The only one of my three children that I used a leash on was DS # 1. The other two never needed it.

I tried my best to avoid it but after chasing DS through Wal-Mart one day for almost 30 minutes (he thought it was fun and I was pregnant with DS # 2!) along with 2 Wal-Mart employees, I decided that, in addition to safety issues, I couldn't take it anymore! (DH was in the Navy at the time and out to sea)

He was just 2 yrs old when I made the decision. After the first time I used it, I wasn't sure I'd ever use it again!

We had just walked into Dillards and DS decided that he wanted out of the stroller! So, I took out the leash and attached it to his wrist. DS looked at it, looked at me and got down on his hands & knees and started barking like a dog! ;-) ;-) Other shoppers started looking...some laughing and some making rude comments! I promptly put DS back into the stroller and left the store as quickly as I could!
Old 06-14-2003, 03:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oh Abear thanks for that mental image and laugh this morning! I woke up grouchy because for ONCE I was going to sleep in but was up at 6 as usual. grrrrrr. :mad: That story of ds in Dillards made my morning!

I'm still an advocate of "leashes" and intend to buy one next time I'm at Wal Mart. Jarod is just too active! He climbs out of the shopping carts if you turn your head for an instant and is off and running. I could clip him to the side of the cart with a leash!

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 06-14-2003, 07:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by nagymom
Oh Abear thanks for that mental image and laugh this morning!That story of ds in Dillards made my morning!

I'm still an advocate of "leashes" and intend to buy one next time I'm at Wal Mart. Jarod is just too active! I could clip him to the side of the cart with a leash!

Jayne
Somehow, I knew if you read my post, you would be !! I can laugh about it now but it sure was embarassing when it happened! When DH came home from sea and found that I had that leash, he was appalled! After I explained why & suggested that HE take DS to Wal-Mart without it, he promptly zipped his lips! He came to agree that those were a nifty invention!

I am still very much an advoate for child leashes...especially with the kidnappings and such that have been happening all across the country! When I have dgc, I won't hesitate to use a leash on them just as you plan on doing with Jarod! I don't care what others may have against them, in my humble opinion, it comes down to a basic safety issue! (and a sanity one too! )
Old 06-14-2003, 07:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

When my oldest was a toddler my mom and I would take her to the mall and she would push her little shopping cart with her baby in it. Everyone would point at her and say how cute she was. She was so easy to take places, then I had my second child and that's when I got the leash. I always felt it was for their safety and my sanity! I think people who don't like them, never tried to take active kids to a store!

Carol

Old 07-26-2003, 03:33 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Child leash

I am a mother of two very active little boys. I have been searching for a child harness. I feel I am one person responsible for two childrens safety. If this keeps one from being hurt or kidnapped while I'm attending to the other it is worth all the rude comments and dirty looks people can dish out.
Old 07-26-2003, 04:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Re: Child leash

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyther
If this keeps one from being hurt or kidnapped while I'm attending to the other it is worth all the rude comments and dirty looks people can dish out.
AMEN!!

BTW - Welcome to Family Corner!!

Old 07-26-2003, 08:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I was sooo against them UNTIL I had kids. Even though my son was very good at staying by my side, I can truly understand that if you have 2 or more kids that are small, how these can be very helpful. I favor the wrist band type where one goes on your wrist and then there is a stretch cord and the other on their wrist but I guess is up to the person.
Im lucky enough that my son is old enough that now that I have my daughter I dont need one for him. She is so active now though that I wont rule one out for her if we are in crowded situations.

In my opinion, many people are too quick to judge others before they know what the situation is like. Im learning to let it roll off my back by smiling at them and then forgetting about it .....its either that or I tell them off and then I feel better!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-27-2003, 06:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Quote:
"I am a mother of two very active little boys. I have been searching for a child harness. I feel I am one person responsible for two childrens safety. If this keeps one from being hurt or kidnapped while I'm attending to the other it is worth all the rude comments and dirty looks people can dish out."
Active boys is what did it for me, I think harnesses are great!

Welcome to Family Corner Tyther!!!

Carol

Old 07-31-2003, 06:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I've used one before & probably will again!

Thumbs up for the "leashes!"

I tried the wrist leash but it didn't work for me. My DD (the middle child) was a little Houdini, and could get out of shopping cart/stroller seat belts no matter how tight I made them. And she could just twist her hand right out of mine, and I feared hurting her if I grabbed too hard (those delicate little 2-year-old bones!) So I got the harness, over-the-shoulder and velcro in the back so she couldn't remove it! All she wanted to do was walk next to/just behind me. She needed to move on her own feet, not be carried/pushed along in a stroller or cart. It was great at carnivals; we would just unclip her when we put her on a ride, and clip her when we claimed her at the end of the ride.

Her little brother is an even more active character than she was at that age. I already have his harness and carry it with me, so if we need it I will have it.

I've heard the rude comments...mostly old men telling me how THEIR moms used to tie them to trees, and younger people without children comparing my kids to little animals. I've also heard the supportive comments...mostly moms of older/grown children who say, "I wish I had one of those when my kids were small!!!!"

Once at the mall before youngest DS was born I was near someone with their child on a wrist leash, and 2 young women had a few things to say. My friend and I LOUDLY complimented the mom for keeping her child happy and safe.

Leashes/harnesses allow moms to keep their children close by, and allow kids to be "self-propelled." Everybody wins.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Ok, I have to respond to this. I have 2 very active little girls who scream if I put them in the shopping cart, once in a while they will agree to the stroller, but mostly they just want to run. I just started using the harness type leashes on them and they work great. They can run and have fun, but I don't have to worry about losing them. All these people with their comments about treating children like dogs, I ask you have you ever lost your child in a store or any large crowd of people? Do you know what that feels like? Your heart beats so fast it feels like it's going to beat right out of your chest, you get shaky and hot and so scared you can't think or see straight. I know this because I have experienced it and it's not fun. I would much rather see a child on a leash than read about another child's body being found in a field or a ditch or never found. I do not treat my children like dogs and I am totally offended that anyone could even think that, just because I put a harness leash on them FOR THEIR SAFETY. I pay very close attention to my children, they are my number one priority, I would die for my children. That is why I put the harness on them, because I love them, I want them to be safe. There are a lot of strange people out there who want to hurt kids and a lot of drivers that don't pay attention to what's around them, my 2 and 3 year old daughters do not know how to protect themselves against those things. That's a parent's job and a good parent will do everything in their power to protect their child and that includes using a leash.

I know the most recent postings that I read were for the leashes, but there were some early ones that made the "dog" comments and that is what I responded to.