Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Toddlers

Toddlers What did your toddler do today? Is he getting into everything? Tell us all about the smiles and frustrations here!

Old 12-22-2008, 02:54 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Disciplining A Two Year Old

I know I posted on another thread about this. And did get some good advice. But, now, I need more advice!

I am hoping others have had this problem and can help me.

My two year old son, has started hitting again. In the past we used time outs, and he would sit and cry, and than get up. But, now as soon as I put him in a time out, he jumps right back up.

How do I keep my two year old in a time out? I have never had this problem with my other children, they all stayed in their time outs. What other consequences can I give a two year old? I did try a pack n play, but, he thought that was fun.

This hitting has got to stop, what really gets me is when he hits, and I restrain him, and tell him we don't hit it is not nice, when let go, he will run over and kick whom ever it was that he was hitting!! Where he learned to kick is way beyond me!??!

I mean if this child was in a daycare I would think oh he learned it there, but, he is with me all the time. And there is no one kicking anyone/thing here!

HELP before I lose complete control of this little guy!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 12-22-2008, 05:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Little kids just have no impulse control. So you have to do it for them. My kids would never stay in timeout either. It was a lot of "remove, restrain, redirect, repeat" with them, right up until the age of 3 or more.

Luke was a tough customer too. I think some of it was frustration since he was much younger than the other kids (same as your little guy) and he saw them doing so many things he couldn't.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

On episodes of the Super Nanny she says to keep putting them back in the corner or chair then leaving the room so they don't get your company. But it will take many attempts before they do stay there.

Roberta
Old 12-22-2008, 08:49 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Actually I just figured out this morning it is more of a "Dad will save me, when Mom bes mean" thing.

DH went back to work after a few days off, and this morning when I had to put DS in a time out it went much better. Much less crying, and flipping and flopping!

So, I guess I have redirect more discipline toward DH. I did scold DH last night, and let him know that we have to get a hold of DS now. Before he is off drinking beer at the park, stealing copper, and drinking and driving. The response I got was this sad look, and a tried guilt trip of look how cute he is, he will never do that!!(Yeah, as long as I put my foot down he won't!!) Last night during one of DS's time outs, he went running to Daddy, and said "Mom bes mean" and Dad pitied him, and hugged him.AAAARRRRRGGGGG!!!!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 12-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Yep put dad in time out too! Scold dad but not around Zach.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Is he not talking well yet? Children who cannot verbalize tend to bit or hit as a way to expressing their frustration. Teach him to point to what he wants and better yet, teach him to say the word for what he wants instead of bitin or hitting.

As for the time-out, the best thing I ever did for my kids and now my GKs is get an kitchen timer. One that makes a ticking noise is best, but not always available. I set it for the desired time for time out. Then, I set the timer and put the child in time out. The child tends to do better knowing something will remind me when it is time for them get get up out of time-out. Until they are 7-8, they have no concept of time. The timer is a good representation of time. My kids seem to do better knowing their is a limit to the amount of time they will spend in time-out.

Now, if the child keeps getting up I reset the timer, making sure the child knows that we are starting over on the timing and I place him/her in time-out. They quickly learn that by staying in time-out, they reduce the amount of time they stay there and by getting up, they will just be sat back down and made to start all over again in the timing. It has been VERY effective for me.

The main thing is be consistant. Don't give up or give in or they will learn that by pushing your buttons enough, you WILL eventually give in. I hope that helps.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 01-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have a 2 year old little girl that wont do the time out thing either as a matter of fact she has turned into a little houdini as I put her in a playpen for a time out and she has learned to escape. so I am in need of this advice too! I dont remember my other girls bein soo unruley!
Old 01-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I swear by the kitchen timer. If the child keeps running away from time out, tell the child that you have to restart the timer. (I usually set it on 5-10 minutes). If you must, stand where you can watch the child and make him/her stand with his/her face against the wall so that child cannot have the fun of watching the other kids until time is up. If he/she knows that you will stand there until time-out is over, the child will eventually reduce the need for time-outs and learn that 10 minutes means 10 minutes of uninterrupted time-out. But, you have to be consistent.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 02-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Check your library for books by Dr. James Dobson. Dare to Discipline, The Strong Willed Child & Parenting isn't for Cowards are a couple of his parenting books.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Another good author on dealing with toddlers is John Rosemond. I remember that his books helped me a lot when my kids were little.