Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Toddlers What did your toddler do today? Is he getting into everything? Tell us all about the smiles and frustrations here!

Old 03-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

DS in big boy bed

I have just recently moved my ds into his big boy bed. He is 22 months old . He started not sleeping thrugh the night as he kept hitting the sides of his crib. Also he has been climbing out of the crib, so I didn't want him to get hurt.

He is great at sleeping in the bed at night. My problem is that at nap time he won't stay in bed. I don't know how to keep him in the bed.
Do I just let him paly in the room? Thanks for any ideas you may have. I know he is still young but he still needs a nap.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Big Grin

It is possible that your little boy is transitioning to not needing a nap. My ds stopped taking naps before he was the age of your ds. It was a little hard on me (no rest breaks during the day), but he did sleep through the night very soundly. Maybe you can explain to your ds that nap time is "rest" time. He can either sleep or play quietly in his bed until you come to get him. Good luck!
Old 03-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks I am hoping that it will be easier. If he doesnt nap he is tired before supper. I am trying to get him use to it. I did one day get him in his bed for a nap but older sister woke him up. The only thing is do I just let him play and if so how long do you leave him for?
Old 03-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Happy face

My ds was tired by supper, too, when he wasn't napping. I guess this is all part of the "transition" stage. I started putting him to bed a little earlier because he was tired.

I don't remember how long I told ds he needed to sleep or play quietly. Why don't you try 40 minutes and see how it goes. If he doesn't doze off by then, there really is no point in having him stay in his room. I'm sure that you and your little boy will figure out what will work best!
Old 03-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Mommy, you have several options. My DS was like Goldeagle's. He no longer needed naps at that age.
One option is that you could remove all toys and play things out of his room. Then, set an egg timer (one that goes "tick, tick, tick, tick") and tell your DS that when the timer goes "ding" he can get up. Make him lay down, whether or not he sleeps. The ticking noise is a wonderful sound that reminds the child that you will not forget about him and that he can play IF he rests for that period of time. You can try 30 minutes and see if that is enough. He has no concept of time, so if you have to increase it, it won't be a big deal.

Another option, is to allow him to lay on a pad or pillow and watch a boring show. Tell him that when the show is over, he can get up and play. You won't need a timer since the show itself is a timing device. It could be an interesting show that isn't too active.

One other option is to lay down with your DS until he goes to sleep. However, the danger in this is that he will like you laying with him and he won't be able to sleep without you near him.

When my GKs come over, I use the first 2 options. My DGS fights naps and sleep, day or night. I have to stand my ground and now allow him to play. I make sure I reward his appropriate behavior by giving him a cookie and milk or something else while I praise him.

Good luck!
Old 03-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky Takes all kinds!

My 1st two took naps till around 4yr regularly and at 5 semi-regular. 8yr old dd, the last , stopped napping at 1yr old. She does still go to bed at 8pm and sleep till 7am. She needed sleep just not naps. She went to bed at 6:30 or 7 at 22 months and slept 12 hrs. Then and now when she gets up she is quiet for the 1st hour then WAM rest of day. The hardest thing as a parent was realizing each child's individual needs.