Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Toddlers What did your toddler do today? Is he getting into everything? Tell us all about the smiles and frustrations here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

We didn't use pullups, too expensive and i found that the kids just didn't take them seriously a part of the potty-training process, they were just too comfortable and similar to diapers. We got cloth underwear and plastic pants to go over them. That way, if they messed in the pants, it didn't mess my carpet. This is how OUR mothers did it, and it worked.

I bought one package of plain underwear and one package of character underwear, and told them, "when you are using the toilet all day without accidents, you get to wear the decorated ones!"

Rani
Old 08-12-2002, 04:15 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Potty Training!!!!

Oh what to say. My oldest DS is going to be 3 at the end of the month. He has been interested in the potty from the time he started walking. This was at about 10 months. He would follow my DH and myself into the bathroom all the time. So I decided to put the potty chair in the bathroom. Whenever we went in to the bathroom, he would follow and we would sit him on his potty while we used our potty. He's still not potty trained! UHHH

For months now, actually closer to a year he has been getting up in the middle of the night to tell us that he had to pee. Most nights he doesn't wake up at all. Still dry in the AM. Yes, this is nice. We stopped the pull ups about 6 months ago. A waste of money for us as he had no need for them. He's been in tighty whities for awhile. He likes them and shows them off every chance he gets. He has gotten used to the gate in the bathroom door (ie little brother). He has gotten very good at climbing over it when he has to go pee. He goes in by himself, does his duty and washes his hands. Comes out and tells us what he did. We are still having a problem with pooping on the pot. He has some good days, but more bad days. His latest thing is taking off his underwear and pooping on the floor. Ok it's going to happen, but not good w/ a 15 month old running around. Trying to explain to my DH that he needs to clean up the poop on the floor, BEFORE he cleans up our DS #1, as DS #2 will think it's something to play in. YUCK I know! Oh back to the helpful hint. When we started DS #1 on the big potty, we used Cherrios. We would throw some into the toilet and told him to pee on them. This worked.

Now its time to start DS #2. He's been taking off his diaper and goes to the bathroom door. He watches his brother all the time and laughs at him. Kids do learn by watching. I do beleave that! So the more they see other people using the potty, the more they will want to do the same.

I too am glad to see so many others out there going thru the samething. You know what I mean. Good luck everyone!!!
Old 08-14-2002, 11:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have a grandson who will be 4 in Nov. I know what your going through. He knows to go potty, but won't take the time to go. Some days he will go after he has already wet in his pull ups. He will be going back to preschool next week and I was hopeing he would be trained by then. He doesn't like poppie pull ups much. He will take them off and sit on the toliet. I don't have help with his mother or grandpa when they are home, with the training. I have tried a few times using a timer like every 15 minutes and take him to the toliet. It worked pretty good, but can't do it consistently, which is what should be done. Guess he will do it all when he is ready. Hang in there.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:37 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Once I knew my 3 yo ds was ready, we did everything! The books, the videos and it was fun. There came a point where I resorted to rewarding him with his favorite things: superheroes and candy. He got to wear the superhero underwear that HE chose, and when he went he would get a few M & M's. I would only give the m&m's if there was really something in the potty! He is older now and I don't think he expects M&M's everytime he accomplishes something, so it worked for potty training anyway!

Oh yeah, for boys they have those cool target things you can put in the toilet (or use cheerios). That's fun for them.

The only REAL disadvantage was that we usually don't have a lot of sweets in the house...I probably had quite a few more M&M's than I usually did during that time!
Old 08-14-2002, 02:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I used the reward system as well. I made a chart with every day of the week on it so that he could stick stickers on there when he actually used the potty-- 1 for peeing and 2 for pooping. I also used candy as treats too but he could only have a small piece once or twice a day. I filled it will tootsie rolls and sweet tarts ....little stuff ( this was convenient because it was right around Halloween ). Believe it or not, the stickers won over the candy. He was fully trained by the time he was a little over 3 but we still have night time accidents once in a while. He sleeps so sound that he doesnt wake up to go on his own and he has never minded being wet so that doesnt help !! We wake him up to go before we go to bed at night and that seems to do the trick for the most part. He should grow out of it.

It might seem like an endless battle but they WILL train someday !!
Old 08-15-2002, 03:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I too used the candy and stickers. The sticker chart worked for alittle while, but it was no longer fun for him and he stopped. The candy (m&m's) worked great too, but he thought that if he went into the bathroom he would get some. This was w/out using the potty. Try to explain that he only get's them if he goes potty on the pot. Oh, I had gotten him his own little stool to stand on when he goes potty. He's one of those kids who dosen't want to sit on the potty. "He's a big boy and will stand like daddy and popey". Over the past 2-3 days I've noticed how much he has grown. He no longer is using his stool. Now he just stands on the tip toes. Any other suggestions on how to get him to poop on the potty? I think my DH is going to go crazy if he has to clean up anymore poop from the floor.
Old 08-15-2002, 06:12 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We started introducing the potty at 2 - 2 1/2 with both our dds. Neither took to it quickly but as they got a little older they were potty trained in just a short time. I feel that it is up to us (the adults) to give them opportunity to give up diapers but also to wait until they are ready. I remember my dh saying, "she knows what we want her to do, but she won't do it", lol! My reply was "she's two, what did you expect!" I also agree that pull-ups are more convenient for us but not too effective with potty training. Good luck!
Old 08-15-2002, 09:16 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

My youngest still isn't interested in the potty(2 yrs). I put it out because he seemed to take an interest, but changed his mind lol! He'll sit on it, but nothing happens. The other night he was running around waitnig for his bath, and when he started to go, I put him on the potty chair. He screamed his head off, then went and got a diaper . I can only assume he's not ready....
Old 08-15-2002, 12:16 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Potty Training

Well, at the risk of starting a brouhaha - I believe we have all been hoodwinked into thinking that kids can not be potty trained before they are 2 yo. All 3 of my boys were finished potty training by the time they were 2. On the other hand, the children I watched in my day care home whose Mom's waited until they were past 2 - they were very happy with the status quo! what benefit did they receive for going in the potty as opposed to having someone else clean up the mess for them after they were done? The longer you wait, the more accustomed they become to going in their diapers, and the more independent they become as far as not always wanting to please Mommy/Daddy.

I started introducing the potty to my boys sometime before 18 months. The BM part of it was the easiest - just have the potty chair ready and watch them. Most kids will have a time of day when they tend to go. Just watch them really close during that time of the day - they may go hide in a corner, or stand real still, or screw their face up a little. You'll know! Then just have the potty ready and sit them on it.

The urinating part is a little more difficult. With boys, it's nice if you can do it in the summer, when they can run around in the yard naked once in a while. It helps them to see what happens when they get that funny feeling. Again - starting early is the key - before it becomes a power struggle.

Well, that's just my humble opinion.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:21 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

TessAngel,

I totally agree with you. I have 3 daughters, all who were completely potty trained before their 20 month mark. It took me about a week total, mainly because I was so heavily pregnant with the next one. My kids are each 21 months apart in age, and I wanted to have only 1 at a time in diapers.

I did not do pull-ups. I feel they are a glorified diaper that the manufacturers charge more for, and I believe it's a parent's crutch. Like saying, "well, my child is not in diapers, they wear pull up's", I say but pull-ups ARE diapers! They are just a pull on diaper rather than tabs on the side. If the kid still needs to be in diapers then so be it, unless you just have loads of money and you want to blow it on glorified diapers.

I did not give any rewards, no candy, no stickers, no kinds of treats or presents at all. I felt it was a human bodily function that we all do, not some kind of new invention that they needed presents for. They get stickers and candy rewards for other things they do that are good "deeds."

I did not do a potty seat other than a plain white padded insert to help keep them from falling in.

I took them to the bathroom when they woke up in the morning, then about every half hour during the day. Sometimes they went, other times not. They went before going down for a nap and when they woke up. I started limiting liquids about 7pm, bedtime about 8. They could have a little bit of water after brushing their teeth.

I do feel children can be potty trained before the age of 2. They do get past a point of caring about messy stinky pants. If the parent doesn't push the issue then why should the child. We are the ones teaching them and they are little sponges, soaking up all that we do, say and teach to them.

mommy to
Maria - 7
Monica - 5
Megan - 3
~~~~~~~