Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Toddlers What did your toddler do today? Is he getting into everything? Tell us all about the smiles and frustrations here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-11-2002, 06:16 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Potty training

I have to give my experienced opinion. I have three teenagers and daycared 5 more. I agree with a lot of Shawn's posts. I HIGHLY recommend getting the book "Toliet training in less than a day". It does just that - trains the child! (and the mom too). Uses the basics of uninterrupted training (no phone calls, no t.v. no computer, no shopping), overly excited praise at the beginning decreasing to simple praise, increased fluid intake, making the child clean up any messes (don't say ooohhh - they won't get ill), and timing (at the beginning).

It irrates me when moms think a child will one day just 'go' on an adult toliet 'when they're ready'. Baloney - they need to be taught how to do it on their size potty. Do you hand a child a butcher knife and say 'here cut your own meat'. No - you teach them with a soft food and a butter knife.

Moms - Get the book from your local library and take a day or two (uninterrupted) to instruct your child. Your child and you will be so very happy for it.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:32 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I just read your post indnan. Would you give the kid a butcher knife? Too true! I tried the one-day training with my son--it failed miserably. He wasn't ready, and all the teaching in the world wouldn't have helped.(I wasn't ready, either, to spend a whole day. It was INTENSE!!) It did, however, give him the "basics" though--what to do when he had to go, how to go, etc. He just refused to do it until he was ready to do it--and then it was a breeze. He literally just started going on his own, and I believe part of it was caused by the "intense" training. Though parents be warned--"no interruptions" means just that. One little phone call and you have to start over!
Old 07-16-2002, 11:31 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

indnan and Mrs. Maniac. you can not potty train a child in a day or two. You need too just go with the childs timing. I was a stay at home mom, and was a care giver for other children . Do not push it they will get up tight. I Hope you do not take this the wrong way! My best to you both!
Old 07-17-2002, 01:15 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oh, I know that It took ds over a year. What I meant was, when he decided he wanted to do it, he knew what to do because of all the practice!

I look at it this way--I don't expect myself to learn anything new in a day, and I've got years of experience in learning. So how can a little one be expected to learn something this complicated in a day? I believe you have to be consistant, and patient!
Old 08-11-2002, 09:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi:
My Mother was fortunate to have a babysitter who potty trained my younger sister at 11 months!. Mom said the babysitting would smack the baby's bottom and run her into the bathroom whenever she wet or messed her diaper (she was walking prior to 11 months) and she put her on the toilet! Worked. Saved my Mother a lot of money on diapers and helped her stress level while working, knowing that she didn't have to face diapers when she got home! This was over 50 years ago, but still a good idea!
Old 08-11-2002, 10:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Just my 2 cents!

Having potty trained three children, I only have this to say.....

1. My only daughter WAS easier to train than the two boys. But she showed an interest. She was totally out of diapers at 18 mos. very much against the advice of her pediatrician! But , she would remove her diaper if she even trickled a little bit in it and would go balistic if you tried to put it back on her! In less than 2 days, she was out of diapers totally during the day and in less than a week, she was totally out of diapers.

2. This is just my opinion....but having used both "old fashioned" training pants and pull-ups, I would recommend that you not use the pull-ups. Pull-ups were not yet invented when I trained my daughter. (she is 18) When it came time to train DS # 1 (now 10) we started out using pull-ups. Training just wasn't going well even though he was 2 yrs old when we started. He never showed an interest at all before we started. But, I became pregnant with DS # 2 and could not imagine having two in diapers! After we took pull-ups out of the picture with DS # 1, the training became more successful with each passing day. By the time it came time to train DS # 2 (now 8), he would have nothing to do with pull-ups! He wanted "big boy underwear" like Daddy and brother! So, instead of training pants, he was trained with Fruit of the Loom!

Just keep in mind that when it comes to potty training.......
patience, patience, patience is one of the key elements!

Also, everyone helping with the training has to use the same methods with the child as to not cause confusion!

GOOD LUCK!!

Last edited by Abear; 08-11-2002 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-11-2002, 03:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi,
3 out of my 4 sons were potty trained right around the age of 3. They were just ready - And it just took a matter of a few days. My last son potty trained himself right around 2yrs of age. He was watching the older boys & 1 day he was right in there with the rest of them going potty. We just thought it was a fluke until he was in there one day with the door locked. We asked what he was doing and he yelled out that he was going "poopy". And that was that I always felt that when they are ready, they will do it. I never really pushed it but did ask if they had to go etc. My 2nd son did have a problem at night with wetting & he did have to wear diapers to bed at night until he was 4 1/2 but he cured himself of that problem.
Old 08-11-2002, 08:56 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Goodness! There's a lot of technical advice here.....and one who would smack an 11 month old's bottom and put them on the toilet??? Puh -leeze!! I am a mother of a 2 and a half year old boy - not yet potty trained but willing to go on the potty, but my first clue that he was not ready was when we bought some regular training pants he said (and I quote!) "I don't wear underpants, you do! I wear diapers!" OK - so now's not the time!I'm certainly not going to force him - we ALL know how well THAT works with a toddler! LOL! I hope everyone realizes that each child is different, needs their own method and that it needs to be done with MUCH love and VERY MUCH patience on our part. Someone once said that sometimes we need to put down the books and start paying more attention to our children. That someone has never been so right.
Old 08-12-2002, 05:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have never forced potty taining. I am always encouraging. My daughter wasn't fully potty trained until just before her fourth birthday and it was like all the sudden "wow mom thats all there is to it " attitude. My son is 3 1/2 he is on his way. 95 % of the time he makes it to potty to urinat and has only mad it once to poop. However last night he almost made but pooped on the floor in front of the pooty. We told that was a good try and when he can get that poopie in the toilet we will go to walmart to buy a special toy. This has got him real excited about making it to the potty on time. I use pull ups only for errand running. We have a lot of bathrooms that don't have chaging areas so pullups come in easy for that. During the day it is under wear and at night a diaper. I am always encouraging him. jenni
Old 08-12-2002, 10:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am so encouraged to see that there are alot more moms out there who are wondering if they are doing the right thing by letting nature take its course as I am.

I remember doing everything I could think of / read about with my son (who's now 6). Nothing seemed to work so I gave up but at some point (can't remember when or how) he started peeing in the toilet on his own. He doesn't have accidents but at least once a day he seems to be doing the "pee dance" and I have to tell him he has to go. It often happens for him to run in from outside like it's a big emergency and it's like a pipe burst when he goes. I don't understand but whatever...

As for my almost 3 year old daughter - no she is not yet trained! I was sure she'd be easier. She knows when she needs to go but I have to coax her to go to the toilet and sometimes she will and sometimes she wont.

There's something inside me that feels forcing a child to go is not good and might make things worse. I could be wrong but I can't help the way I feel. As for spanking... I wont judge but I refuse to resort to that in any circumstance. That's a whole other thread however.