Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Toddlers What did your toddler do today? Is he getting into everything? Tell us all about the smiles and frustrations here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-09-2002, 07:32 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Oh yes he is! He's so cute, everytime he gets the urge to go he grabs his crotch with both hands and says "I gotta go poty! You watch me?"

He means he wants me to go in there with him. LOL
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2002, 12:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb Potty Training 101

;-) That's really great; however don't be surprised if he regresses. Mine did. This whole discussion reminds me of how frustrated I was with my son just a few months ago. At that time, I figured I'd be changing him when he was going to high school.
I agree the pull-ups are just too absorbent to be of any motivation to use the potty. So I used training pants! I put plastic pants or pull-ups on when we went to church etc. though. He would go #1 fine; but #2 was still a problem. Then I got the idea of using a potty chart with stickers. And told him Daddy would take him to DQ for a BIG ice cream if he got enough stickers in a week; well that did it! He of course messed up a few weeks but when he didn't get that ice cream he made up for it the next. Just took a couple of months and bang we were completely potty trained!!!
So my suggestion is Bribery! Hee hee.
Old 03-19-2002, 01:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

chuckle LOL

Advise to keep in mind because my ds is 16 mos old.
It was so funny yesterday- Grandpa was changing him and he wet two diapers in a row; with the third diaper, Sean got it - and his own face! Oh did he grump about that! Finally was able to get him to quit hosing long enough to get the fourth diaper on him dry. He is another that doesn't care if he floods and soaks his clothes or have poop running out the sides that I have to keep regular check on him...

Old 03-19-2002, 09:14 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

I had too say for me using the regular underware instead of the pullups wasn't any more effective!
A few weeks ago, I decided no more diapers only big boy pants! I decided I would just the clorox and relove handy and wash alot of floors, for a while!
But, the little stinker after the first one for two wet pants, didn't even care anymore. At one point I was sitting on the couch and he just comes and calmly crawls up on my lap, he was soaked! Didn't bother him a bit! he could have cared less! Then I had too play find the pee! After a couple of more times i said forget it I'll try again another time. Everyone promises me he won't be wearing a diaper under his graduation gown!;-)
Old 06-08-2002, 10:31 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Potty training

I have been told that boys are harder than girls. I hope to God that is not true with my son as my 4 year old took forever to potty train. She started showing interest at the age of 18 months, but she was almost 4 before we had her potty trained during day. Now she is great during day abut still wets the bed almost everynight and we can not figure out how to get her to stop.
My son just turned 2 in April and is starting to take his diapers off and showing signs of interest in potty training.
I am hoping that my son is going to be easier than my daughter-though my husband gets the rougher end of the deal-since we agreed that I would do more with my daugher on potty training and he would do more on my son potty training.
Any tips...
Heather
Old 06-08-2002, 12:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I am a bit late to respond to this post and thankfully way out of the diaper stage (thank goodness )

But here are some things that may help

~~~~~~~~~

How to Assess Toileting Readiness
From your Parenting: Babies & Toddlers Guide

Knowing the signs of toileting readiness in your child can help alleviate potty training frustrations.

Here's How

Be sure that your child is able to understand and follow simple instructions.

Consider your child's language capabilities. Does s/he know and understand 'wet' and 'dry,' and can s/he differentiate between the two?

Determine your child's competence at understanding toileting words such as, 'pee, poop, toilet or potty.' Can your child show you where the potty or toilet is when asked?

Take notice when your child begins to exhibit an interest in pleasing you. This can a good time to introduce your toddler to the potty chair or toilet.

Take notice of longer dry spells between diaper changes. This indicates your child's muscles are strengthening and beginning to control urine flow.

Take notice when your child begins having bowel movements on a fairly consistent basis. This indicates a strengthening of the muscles that control the bowels.

Recognize your child's desire to do things independently as a vital cue for training readiness.

Take notice when your child exhibits an interest in using the toilet. This is a good time to let your child go through the motions on his/her own potty chair.

Determine if your child has the coordination skills necessary for independent toileting. Can your child pull his/her pants up and down independently?

Consider your family's life events. Has there been any recent change in schedules or routines that may be stressful for your child? Training is best accomplished when your child is feeling secure and happy.

Tips:

Acquaint your child with toileting terms early, by offering confirmation and instruction during diaper changes. ('Did you poo in your diaper? Let's clean up your butt and put the poop in the toilet.')

Allow your child to watch you and other family members use the toilet, let your child flush it and briefly explain the reasons for using toilet paper and washing hands.

Change your child's diaper as soon as possible after soiling so s/he doesn't become comfortable with, or even enjoy, being soiled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 06-08-2002, 12:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Been There! Done That! Toilet Training Tips
from Baby U

Toilet Training should be a fun and exciting experience for both you and your child. Remember, your child should feel in control of the process, not you. Take a slow, casual, matter-of-fact approach, and make it fun! Always encourage and praise your child. Do not begin training until your child shows signs that he/she is ready. Every child is different. Most are ready for training between two and two and a half years old (some as young as 18 months or as old as 3 years).

Start at a time when you can spend a lot of time together- when your child is eager to please you and there are no major distractions or traumatic events in his/her life (new sibling, divorce, moving, new caretaker, etc.). Never pressure or punish your child for unsuccessful attempts at using the potty. Most of all, be patient! Your child will learn to use the potty when he or she is ready (and not before!).

15 Signs of toilet training readiness

Your child is ready to learn potty skills when he or she:

Has bowel movements at about the same time every day

Can stay dry for a few hours or wakes up dry from sleep

Knows that he/she has to go to the bathroom

Understands the association between dry pants and using the potty

Can pull her pants up and down

Lets you know when he/she has soiled his/her diaper (likes to stay dry)

Can follow simple directions like, "lets go to the potty"

Understands potty terms (wet, dry, pee, poop, dirty and potty)

Can tell you he/she has to go to the bathroom

Imitates other family members

Shows interest and asks question while watching you

Wants to do things "by myself"

Enjoys washing his/her hands (like to be clean)

Gets upset if his/her belongings are not in their proper place

Wants to please you!

Getting Ready

Start by reading toilet learning books to your child (15 months and up). Once your child is ready for toilet training; you can go to the store and purchase training pants and a potty chair. Bring your child with you so that he/she will get excited about the whole process. When buying training pants, if you are choosing cotton, let your child pick out his/her favorite ones (Rugrats, Batman, Barbie etc.). Cotton training pants will let your child feel the wetness and will train faster. The downside is that they are messier! Disposable training pants are easy for cleanup and on the go but it may take longer to train if your child does not feel the discomfort of wetness. If you buy cotton, buy more than one three pack. You will go through these quickly and you want to have plenty in the diaper bag and dresser.

When purchasing a potty-chair, make sure you purchase a sturdy one. You want your child to feel secure when he/she tries it. Your child's feet need to be on the floor (This will eliminate his fear of falling in). You may also want to buy an extra one for outside or to keep in the car (it's better to go to your car and use your clean potty than go to a public restroom that hasn't been sanitized!)

It's Potty Time!
Introduce the potty in a casual way. Put it in a room where your child plays most often. The kitchen is a good place, so you can supervise. It will also encourage your child to use it more often if it is in plain view. Let your child play with it so he/she will get accustomed to it. Then show your child how it works. At this time you can also put your potty chart on the refrigerator. Explain to your child that each time he/she successfully uses the potty, he/she will get a sticker for his/her chart (use praise too, of course). This will be an incentive to get your child to start using the potty-chair. Once your child is used to the potty-chair, you can start to encourage use of it.

At the beginning of training, increase fluids to encourage practice. Encouraging practice will help your child learn the basic potty skills. In addition, you will want to make sure your child eats lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. Prune and apple juice are always good staples to have around when BM training. You want to keep your child's stools soft to prevent withholding of stools. When you see any signs that your child is about to go (passing gas, wriggling, holding crotch or telling you), quickly tell your child it's time to use the potty.

All cooperation with attempts at using the potty should be praised with words like, "What a big boy! Nicolas is using the potty just like daddy"! Also, remember to praise your child and offer a sticker for his/her chart for every successful potty use. This will help build self-esteem.

If you encounter problems
If your child is reluctant or refuses to use the potty, try to encourage him/her by offering to read a story while sitting on the potty. If this still does not work, back off and do not push him/her.

You can try to leave your child's diaper off at the time he/she usually has a bowel movement (BM). Timing is an important factor in toilet training. If you sense that he/she has to do a BM (gas for instance), take the diaper off right at the moment you see your child getting ready to do his/her BM. If you do catch your child before the BM occurs, then quickly take him/her to the potty and tell him/her that this is where the poop goes. Hopefully if you catch your child at the precise moment, he/she will look for relief and let you guide him/her to the potty. If your child protests a bit, gently encourage and explain to your child "that he/she is a big girl/boy now and mommy and daddy expects you to use the potty".

Remember, encourage and guide, but do not force your child to sit. If your child refuses to sit on the potty, then he/she is not ready. If your child pees and poops constantly in his/her underwear, then he/she is not ready. No big deal, try again in a month or so. This is normal! Let your child take the lead. Your child needs to be in control of the process.

Withholding of Stools
It only takes ONE painful BM to cause your child to be frightened of using the potty, so at all costs, make sure his/her diet has sufficient fresh fruits,vegetables and juice. If your child has a painful BM only once while trying the potty, it could delay potty training for months. He/she will associate painful BMs with the potty and will refuse to use it. If you suspect that your child is withholding his/her stools, it is best to stop training and increase the fluids. Always call your pediatrician if you think your child is withholding. It can be serious if an impaction occurs. Tell your child at that moment, that he/she is not ready yet and that you will try again later.

Continue to play potty videos and read toilet learning books often to encourage regular use of the potty so your child will grasp the concept. Keep the potty-chair out and he/she will eventually shows signs of interest again. Remember, the keys to toilet training are patience, praise, encouragement (and a sticker on his/her chart to build self esteem and make the learning process fun).

Toilet training can get messy so be prepared and expect that there will be many mistakes. Your child islearning a very difficult skill. Clean up any accidents without anger or showing disgust. Do not make negative comments. Explain to your child that pee and poop go in the toilet. You should also empty any accidents in underwear or training pants into the toilet and explain to your child that he/he/she is a big girl now and this is where the poop goes.

Try switching from diapers to training pants when your child does at least fifty percent of his/her urine or bowel movements in the potty. At night, you can use diapers until your child wakes up dry for a couple of days in a row.

Remember, they are learning a very difficult skill. No one has ever said, "Toilet training is easy". Make the process fun and you will have happy memories to look back on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 06-08-2002, 12:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

How do you persuade a child to have a bowel movement on the toilet?

One of the main things to do is check the consistency of your child's stools. Most children who refuse to toilet (they'll have their bowel movements in their diapers, disposable training pants, or pants, but not in the toilet) have had problems with constipation. Make sure your child has soft, formed stools. Hard stools, large stools, or small pebbly stools are all signs of constipation, and the most common reason for stool with holding or "toileting refusal" is that the child has had one or more bowel movements that were painful or uncomfortable.

The main way to soften the consistency of a child's stools is through his diet, by getting him to eat more fiber and by monitoring his intake of dairy products. The easiest way to calculate the amount of dietary fiber your child is getting is to look it up on the nutritional information label on his food. A good rule of thumb is that children should eat enough grams of fiber to equal their age plus five (for example, a 4-year-old needs 9 grams of fiber each day). It's also best if the fiber is distributed equally among the three meals, rather than eaten all at once.

It can take weeks, sometimes months, for a child to get over having a painful bowel movement. Although I hear all the time that a child has accidents because he is angry or resentful, this is rarely the case. He has accidents because he holds back his painful stools until he can't hold them anymore.

Once your child is routinely having soft, formed bowel movements, keep track of when he has them to see if there is any pattern to them. If you can tell that it's about time for him to poop, you can encourage him to sit on the toilet.

I also recommend what I call toilet sits, encouraging your child to sit on the toilet several times each day, without any pressure to have a bowel movement. These toilet sits are more to get him accustomed to sitting on the toilet than they are to get him to use it. It's all right to have him do a dozen toilet sits each day without his ever having a bowel movement there. Your goal is to get him to learn to relax while sitting on the toilet.

Also, make certain that he can place his feet firmly on the floor, if he's on a potty chair, or on a step stool or two if he's on the regular toilet. Being able to plant his feet on the floor means that he can get on the potty chair or toilet easily, that he feels stable and secure when seated, and that he can push with his feet to give him leverage. All of these are important to independent toileting.

from Baby Center

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In closing, I know there is no sure fired way to get a child potty trained. Each child is different and ill do it on their own time. With a little encouragment, hopefully they will be fully trained by then end of age three.

Why not give an award certificate for going on the potty. Do not give points or prizes. Once they start to go, they can stop until they get another one.
Old 07-05-2002, 06:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have learned that unfortunately kids are not going to be trained until they are good and ready, and I can't agree with the boys being harder thing, I think it kind of goes hand and hand with their emotional maturity as well as their intellect. My son who is now 12 was fully trained by 18 months, I put him in underwear and when he peed it ran down his leg and he did not like that so he to the bathroom from that day foward, but he was also walking and talking at 9 months old. My daughter on the other hand who is almost 3 1/2 was just trained on Memorial Day and she just decided to go and has been going every since, but my daughter didn't walk until she was almost 19 months old and you can't potty train a child who can't walk. I have one more round to go with my 10 month old who seems to be following a developmental pattern closer to her sister so I don't expect her to be trained before 2 1/2 and I have learned that if I don't expect anything I won't be dissapointed. As far as pull-ups go I call them the "welfare" of potty training because kids get comfortable with them and they then become a crutch I think they are more for our benefit than theirs and I was guilty of using pull-ups with my daughter because I didn't want her to "go" on the carpet or wherever but it really does slow them down because them use them just like pampers. So for round three I'm just going to go with the flow and glory in the fact that when she is finally potty trained the potty can go bye-bye
Old 07-11-2002, 05:15 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question to potty or not to potty, that is the question

Greetings! I am the mother of 2 beautiful girls, 29 yrs and 24 yrs. My granddaughter, Caselyn, almost 3, is the problem child. My girls both trained fairly easy before 3, and Caselyn is very willing to go to the potty, and will even go by herself, but doesn't do so when she has panties on(not pull ups). It is as if she figures they will stop it or something, and when it goes down her leg, she will stand still and then remove the panties herself and go about her business. This is all if no one is in the same room when it happens. If she is wearing pullups, ie, when we are shopping, if she wets, she tries to take them off whereever we are! Kinda embarrasing at times but as long as we get to the restroom or to the car, quick, she will leave them on a bit. She is very good at going potty when she is 'in the buff'. But she never tells us, she just goes! She has even gotten up at night and gone to the potty by herself! She wears pullups at night, and will wake up if they are wet, take them off and throw them away and get back into bed, pantiless!
She is a strong willed child, my mother says she is just like I was!
Has anybody else has this kinda problem? We have tried all the things mentioned here in the forum, but guess it is just gonna be up to her. She just won't tell us when she has to go, we just have to see her heading for her potty, and follow.
Good luck to all moms out there in this fun part of growing up. Believe me, it will be over soon, and then our babies are really growing up!