Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Toddlers

Toddlers What did your toddler do today? Is he getting into everything? Tell us all about the smiles and frustrations here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-30-2002, 09:16 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I wouldn't worry too much about your little guy. My oldest son didn't get totally potty trained until 2 weeks before his little brother was born (he was almost 4 at the time).

My youngest son was 3 in October and has a pretty good handle on the potty thing but did have a lapse a few weeks ago where he was pooping in his pants for about a week. Eeek! (Pull ups aren't too bad to change but try taking care of a mess when it's in undies.) He did that for about a week and then he was back on the bandwagon again.

My youngest also did not do the conventional sit on the potty like most boys start out. He had to stand like Dad & big Bro. He had a little stool and we helped him out until he got the hang of it on his own.

Needless to say, I tried not to push and let them go at their own rate. Don't let people bother you by saying their child was potty trained by the time they were 1, 2, 3. Whatever!! Each child is different so don't sweat it!

Good luck!

Kim
Old 01-30-2002, 12:05 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks Kim!

Actually, I'm not worried, nor do I care what others say, it's ME that wants to be rid of diapers! He is my last of four kids, so I have had my share of potty training. I just want OUT OF DIAPERS!!

LOL

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 02-17-2002, 11:34 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My son is 26 months old next week and I haven't even started potty training yet. I don't really know where to start. He won't sit on the toilet. Are boys supposed to sit or stand up during potty training??? I'll get a book from the library or a video.
Here's a few things I've heard though (from friends):
Pull ups are too comfy and keep the kids dry. You can use these in public but try cloth diapers or underwear at home.
If you start too late the child become afraid of pooping and holds it in. They don't like change or want to stop what they're doing and just go in their diaper.
Boys are more difficult to train than girls (but there are exceptions).
You really have to dedicate yourself to it and put them on the toilet and act like it is expected.
Some friends have found that around 2 there is a window where they are interested and cooperative.
I'm really going to start trying soon. I'd like him trained before 3 or even better before the next baby comes at 2 1/2 but whatever happens, happens, but I'm really going to dedicate myself to this if possible.
One thing I find really interesting, is my mom said I was potty trained shortly after 1 as was my brother, my other brother was 3. My friends have also told me their parents told them they were potty trained at around 1 1/2 as well.
Old 02-22-2002, 08:59 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ds2 is 17 mos and I'm going to put the potty chair out this weekend. Just to get him used to it and maybe, if I can catch him in time, show him what it's for. I'm not going to push him, but my oldest was almost four before he was completely trained so I'm going to start a bit earlier, especially since he's at the mimicking stage right now. I have a few books (What do you do with a potty, I can go potty, everybody poops(THAT one was a gift lol)) and some videos. He seems a lot more receptive than ds1 was, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed....
Old 02-26-2002, 01:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I may have found a good idea!!!

I was thinking about how similar pullups are to diapers, and then I noticed that my dd disliked leaking and getting her legs wet. That reinforced the fact that pullups are too much like diapers - the child doesn't notice the wetness and therefore doesn't care.

But, I didn't want to just put my dd in underwear and have her mess on the carpeting!

I put her underwear on, then a pullup, and then her pants.

She was dry ALL DAY yesterday!!!

And she's been dry all day today as well!

Can you tell I'm excited?

I put her on the potty a few times a day, and while she sits I give her a drink. Then we talk for a few minutes, and I give her another drink. More talking and a third drink is followed by a tickling session!! I can remember my brother making me laugh so hard that I would almost pee my pants. I was trying to think of a way to get my daughter to understand that it's not a pushing action, but a releasing/relaxing action for relieving oneself.

Here's hoping she continues to do well ... we have a house rule that after two weeks of staying dry, they get to celebrate at Chuck E. Cheese's!!

Kelly H.
Old 02-26-2002, 05:54 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'm so excited for you!!! And for her!!! What a good idea!

I used pull-ups for ds1, but switched over to the undies that have the plastic on them and elastic legs. I agree that pull-ups are too much like a diaper--the only time I plan to use them this time around is for overnight (at first) and on trips.
Old 02-26-2002, 06:26 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Wow Kelly great idea!! I think I will try that with Dominic tomorrow. He actually did really well today, but not totally dry Thanks for the great tip!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 03-09-2002, 11:26 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My boy is 3 and a half and I have two younger boys still in diapers. He is in pull ups but now after reading here, I will try the underwear. It's time. He will pee in the toilet, get off of it a take a dump on the floor. He will just have to learn beacause mommy is sick of changing his diapers He even undresses himself.
Old 03-09-2002, 06:16 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Well Dominic is on his fourth day of doing REALLY well! I haven't changed a poopy diaper in 4 days and he's only had a couple of pee accidents!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 03-09-2002, 06:18 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

All right!! I'm sure he's very proud, and you too!