Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Around the Home > Household Hints & Tips > Tips - Walls, Floors, & Windows

Old 07-05-2003, 03:42 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

ink and crayon marks on paneling

Does anybody know how you get ink off of paneling? I live in a trailer and some of the walls are made of paneling that is supposed to look like wood and my son took a pen to one of them. He and his sister also colored on the walls in his bedroom with crayons and I would like to know how to get the crayon marks off of the paneling in his room. It's not the same kind of paneling that I mentioned before that my son wrote on with the ink pen. The paneling in his room doesn't look like wood. It looks like a regular wall but it's not made from sheet rock. If you live in or have ever been in a trailer, you know what I'm talking about. If there is a way that I can clean this stuff up, could somebody please help me?

Tami
Old 07-05-2003, 04:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Tami! Try hairspray or rubbing alcohol. Good Luck! Debbie
Old 07-05-2003, 05:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I'd try Orange Oil first. If that doesn't work, try WD-40...I know from personal experience that it gets that kind of stuff off of regular walls.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:24 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks for the replies. I will try the WD-40 idea in the morning. It's kinda late right now and I don't feel like it (yawn). If that doesn't work, I'll try the rubbing alcohol or hairspray idea. If that doesn't work, I'll buy some orange oil and try that. If that doesn't work then I guess I'm just messed up, lol. I'll keep ya posted.

Tami
Old 07-09-2003, 10:32 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I tried WD-40 on the living room wall today and it did not work so I tried the hairspray idea and it worked pretty well but it didn't clean it completely up. It is a lot less noticeable, though, so I'm happy. I didn't try it on my son's bedroom wall with all the crayon marks because I'm gettin low on hairspray and I'm gonna need that for church tonight, lol.

Tami
Old 07-09-2003, 01:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Tami! I loved the comment about the hairspray, that's how I am with hairspray. I personally don't know about the orange oil, but have heard it works. Our daughter had friends sign her arms at the end of the school year with permanent black marker...smart I know.LOL I didn't know how to get it off so automatically wrote an e-mail to my Mom. She told me to try the rubbing alcohol. It worked and I was so happy that I didn't have to take a 14 yr old to a store like that! LOL Hopefully you can get the rest of the marks off. Take Care! Debbie
Old 07-10-2003, 12:08 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi There;

After many many years in child care i found that Lestoil is the best at removing crayon.. its pretty harsh stuff so i would rinse the area afterwords.. unfortunately its a product whose popularity has waned since the 50's when it came out -- so it may be difficult to find..

also - goo gone may work..

Adieu!
ciara
Old 07-10-2003, 04:58 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Kid's wall art removal

Now here is a subject near and dear to my heart!
We now have strict art control d/t too many oops messes. By far the best product we've used is called "Crayon-A-Gone". It smells like an orange oil based solution and wipes on with a cloth rag. You just wet the rag with the solution and wipe the area on the wall. whatever was there will be gone (crayon, marker,ink etc). We bought it at WalMart so I assume it's available anywhere. Good luck finding better hiding spots for the art supplies!!

Kristine in MN
;-)
Old 07-10-2003, 05:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have used Greased Lightening to successfully remove permanent ink from trailer walls (vinyl wallboard). For crayon, you can also use "Goo Gone" or any of the other adhesive removers sold right beside them in WalMart.

Charlene Raven

Charlene, mother to five

When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

goof off may work but as with anything you may try, test a small spot. i test with a saturated q-tip

If a man says something and no woman hears it....is he still wrong?

Well, nobody's perfect - Osgood E. Fielding III
SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959)

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!