Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 10-04-2002, 05:15 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Help-Wood laminate floors

I have wood laminate floors in my kitchen. No one can tell me how to properly clean them. What solution should I use? Even the store that sold them to me couldn't give me an answer.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Don't use a wet mop!!!!!!! Damp yes wet no! Never warm water or hot. It brings the glues up in the floors ( right in the wood) and turns it white! This will go away it's not permanent. If you decide to use a damp mop to clean the colder the water the better, when you mop it go in the direction of the "grain" or you can get streaks.
If you got the glue together type instead of the click together and you see little bits of glue between the cracks call the ones who put the floor down and ask them to redo it. The only reason I say this is all the stuff on the market that is to remove that type of glue will remove any finish and leave you with swirls and whorls in your floor which is just noticable enough to be annoying.
If you decide to use a commercial floor cleaner make sure it is one for laminate floors not hardwood floors, makes a fun mess
You can also make a solution of water and rubbing alcohol 3:1 ratio ( fridge it) use in a squirt bottle.
To clean them, weather it's store bought, homemade or plain cold water: lightly spray a 6x6 area, using a swifter or veildia type mop ( the rectangular cloth type that you throw the head in the wash) wiping in the direction of the grain.
I had one person tell me that if you want a higher shine on the floor you can use some lemon oil on a cloth and polish the floor . Stay of the floor for about 1/2 an hour as it will be slippery for about that long. I had only tried it once it seemed to have worked ok
Hope this helps you out.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:29 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle Thanks Otheila!

Thanks so much for the info! Finally, someone who knows! I will try your suggestions. When you say "use a Swifter" you must mean the dry ones right?
Old 10-07-2002, 03:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Yes sorry a dry swifter or swifter type mop.
Glad to have helped.
Old 10-12-2002, 07:33 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle For laminate floors

I have hardwood floors. The contractor that put them down told me to only use a damp mop with vinegar and water. I have done this for 4 years now and they still look like new. Hope this has been some help to you. Bodiedk
Old 10-12-2002, 11:29 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have laminate floors (Pergo) also. I use the Swiffer Wet mop--just the one where you put the wet cloths on. It works very nicely, although one cloth doesn't clean the whole floor--it runs out of "juice" so I just use a spray bottle with vinegar and water and spray it right on to finish the job. I'm cheap, so I don't like to use more than one cloth per cleaning!
Old 10-13-2002, 07:52 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My dh is a flooring professional (tile and hardwood) and he agrees...a static mop (Swifter-type) is the way to go. He likes the spray types. Vingear/water solution for spills or sticky stains, when necessary. You shouldn't ever have to use anything stronger. And your floor should continue to look terrific for years to come!
Hope that helps,
karin
Old 10-13-2002, 07:28 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have a pergo floor and I like the swifter too but I also use vinegar and water when it is dirty, and yes damp, not wet, wet will only lead to streaks as it dries. I have Pergo and I love it and there is not glue except arounf the edges so I do not have a glue problem but I had a spill from the dishwasher and oh what a mess...it swelled the floor that got wet for a week. So use water sparingly.
Ruth
Old 10-15-2002, 05:40 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Vinegar Concentration

Thanks to all of you. I love this site!!! What is the concentration of vinegar to water? Thanks.
Old 10-16-2002, 03:17 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

vinegar

1/2 to a cup to a bucket...it is not rocket science...so you do not have to be exact
Ruth