Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 11-25-2005, 07:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Happy face Keeping Food from Thawing In UR Car While Christmas Shopping

It's that time of year, again! You know, when we are multi-task shopping, going from one store to another, looking for sales and bargains, making valuable use of our sometimes limited shopping time.....

Well, I have a neat tip for you ladies that pick up frozen or refrigerated/perishable food items and don't want to rush home to put them away.

Go to the dollar store and pick up 2 or 3 of those shiny silver car window shades and keep them in your trunk or the back of your SUV/van. They fold away neatly and work very well for keeping foods from defrosting or maintaining their cool temperatures!!

If you have a small item or bag of items, just wrap it with one of the shades, shiny side out and foam side touching your bag or item.

If you have several bags, place them on a shade, opened flat on the floor of your trunk or back of vehicle -- shiny side down. Place another shade or two over this bundle, shiny side up.

Get creative with tucking down the sides of the shades. I usually slide the bundles flush against the back of my backseat, where the thick layer of the seat provides back insulation. Then I use a small roll of duct tape I keep with the shades for emergencies and uses like this (lol) and gently tape a couple of strips to the top and bottom shades to hold the flaps in place. If you stick them gently to the shiny sides, it removes easily.

It works!!!

Whether or not you tuck the flaps in, it works. I like to tape the sides lightly if I have items like ice cream or popsicles inside the shades, for more protection from warmer air.

This is sooooooooo much better than hauling around an ice chest. If you have these carefully folded away shades with you all the time, you never have to miss a good deal on meat or frozen items anymore!!!

This works in the summer, as well. You just may have only an hour or so to shop instead of 3 or 4!

Happy shopping!!!

Last edited by jnlowe; 11-25-2005 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:03 AM
Head Moderator

bump

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life