Useful Tidbits

You're on Page 1 of 199
Go to
  • If you wash your mirrors in your bathroom with shaving cream they won't fog. Same goes for eye glasses.
    If you place/ hide small bowls of vinegar around your house it will absorb odors.
    If you add some celery to the frying pan/pot while cooking fish it will absorb the smell.
    There is only 4 things you need to clean and disenfect your house, baking soda, vinegar,toothpaste and borax.
    To fix broken china or pottery use can milk like you would glue, works better then glue.
    Alway's wash paint brushes in cool/cold water then they won't get bushy. Either wrap in newspaper or hang to dry.
    If using paint brush again for same project wrap in plastic wrap and store in freezer. defrost well before using.
    If painting at night make sure window coverings are closed to get proper light. It is better to paint at night, light and shadow wise.
    You can use a ( used) dryer sheet to: dust furniture,as insect repellant, make a new dust mop.
    If you have a problem with ants draw chalk lines around doors and windows around where you think they are coming in from or on they're paths and they won't cross it.
    Borax kills ants.
    If you wash an area with peppermint oil ( diluted of course) you won't get mice there.

That's all I can think of for now. Sorry it's so long and probably all known stuff but I thought I'd pass it along anyways. What's some of the things that you do?
  • Wow! You are really an encyclopedia of information, othelia!

Some of the things I knew, but others I didn't. Gee, my son gets shaving cream on the mirror regularly. I think I will just rub it in now!

Thanks!

Jenna
  • I always freeze my paint brush in a ziploc bag when I'm working on a project. I thought I was the only one who did that. My dh thinks I'm crazy!
  • Ok, what do you clean with toothpaste?
  • Anything in the bathroom. Does great on tiles, chrome, acrylic tub,brass, crayon marks, scuff marks.....
    The bonus thing is you don't use much. I have a 72'' soaker/whirlpool tub and it only takes the same amount of toothpaste to clean it as 2 times brushing your teeth.
  • Ready for more
    HELPFUL HINTS FOR YOU...

Use lifesavers candy to hold candles in place on your next birthday cake! Kids love 'em!

Poke an egg with a small sewing needle before hard-boiling, and the egg will peel with ease! And hold that needle in place with a magnet refrigerator clip!

Stuff a miniature marshmallow in the bottom of a sugar cone to prevent ice cream drips!

Zap garlic cloves in the microwave for 15 seconds and the skins slip right off!

Use a meat baster to "squeeze" your pancake batter onto the hot
    griddle - perfect shaped pancakes every time!

To keep potatoes from budding, place an apple in the bag with the potatoes!

To prevent egg shells from cracking, add a pinch of salt to the water before hard-boiling!

Use a pastry blender to cut ground beef into small pieces after browning!

Sweeten whipped cream with confectioners' sugar instead of granulated sugar--it will stay fluffy and hold it's shape better!

To easily remove honey from a measuring spoon, first coat the spoon with nonstick cooking spray!

Mash and freeze ripe bananas, in one-cup portions, for use in later baking--no wasted bananas (or you can freeze them whole, peeled, in plastic baggies)

To quickly use that frozen juice concentrate, simply mash it with a potato masher--no need to wait for it to thaw!

To easily remove burnt on food from your skillet, simply add a drop or two of dish soap and enough water to cover bottom of pan, and bring to a boil on stove-top--skillet will be much easier to clean now!

Transfer your jelly to a small plastic squeeze bottle--no more messy, sticky jars or knives! This also works well for homemade salad dressing!

To aid in washing dishes, add a tablespoon of baking soda to your soapy water--it softens hands while cutting through grease!

When a cake recipe calls for flouring the baking pan, use a bit of the dry cake mix instead--no white mess on the outside on the cake!

If you accidentally over-salt a dish while it's still cooking, drop in a
    peeled potato--it absorbs the excess salt for an instant "fix me up"!

Next time you need a quick ice pack, grab a bag of frozen vegetables out of your freezer--no watery leaks from a plastic baggie!

Rinse cooked, ground meat with water when draining off the fat--this helps "wash away" even more fat!

Substitute half applesauce for the vegetable oil in your baking
    recipes--you'll greatly reduce the fat content! (Example: 1/2 cup vegetable oil =3D 1/4 cup applesauce + 1/4 cup oil)

Place a slice of bread in hardened brown sugar to soften it back up!

When boiling corn on the cob, add a pinch of sugar to help bring out the corns natural sweetness!

When starting your garden seedlings indoors, plant the seeds in egg shell halves. Simply crack the shells around the roots of your plants and transplant them outdoors--the shell is a natural fertilizer!

To determine whether an egg is fresh, immerse it in a pan of cool, salted water. If it sinks, it is fresh--if it rises to the surface, throw it away.

Cure for headaches: Take a lime, cut it in half and rub it on your
    forehead. The throbbing will go.

Don't throw away the wrapper after removing a bar of soap. Place it inside your shoe cabinet or shoe box. It's a cheap way of filling the air with a nice smell.

If your polished furniture has small scratches: Try rubbing them with a shelled walnut. You'll see the scratches just disappear!

Are your shoes smelly: Here's a solution. Put some tea leaves into a pair of stockings and stuff each into a shoe. Leave for a day or two and the smell just vanishes!

Don't throw out all that leftover wine. Freeze into ice cubes for future use in casseroles and sauces.

Tips for stamp collectors: Place the envelope in the freezer for a few hours. You'll then be able to easily lift the stamps off with a pair of tweezers.

To keep buttons from dropping off: Dab a drop of clear nail polish onto the thread the secures the buttons. This will harden and make it more difficult for thread to break off.
  • WOW, Shaun!

Thanks for the great ideas! Are you sure your name isn't Martha?!:p

Jenna
  • More Tidbits
    Vacuum Scents To add a fresh scent to a room, add some fragrant spices to your vacuum cleaner bag and vacuum as normal. Cinnamon and Allspice are especially nice--or try tearing open a couple of teabags of a fragrant herbal tea, and add that to the bag.

Foiling Mirror Scratches Hide scratches in the back of a mirror by covering them with aluminum foil, shiny side out. Affix the foil to the mirror by painting over it with clear shellac.

Lemon Twist To keep your garbage disposal smelling fresh, occasionally drop a sliced fresh emon or lime inside and grind it up.

Stifle Static You can reduce static electricity in your carpets by mixing one part liquid fabric softener with five parts water. Put the solution in a spray bottle, mist over the carpet, and just let it dry.

Unsticking Hooks To remove a self-adhesive hook, drip vinegar behind it. Give it a few hours to go to work before tugging the adhesive loose.

Salty Windows By the Seashore? Easy-Off or other similar oven-cleaners remove salt deposits quickly and easily, leaving windows shining.

Cleaner Coffee Mugs Try soaking them in hot water with a dash of bleach for glass mugs, or a dash of vinegar for plastic mugs.

Can't hang it? Stick it. If your landlord frowns on using nails to hang pictures, try velcro strips with adhesive backs. Place them in each corner for maximum support. When it's time to move, just wet the adhesive and peel the strips off.

Chewing Gum Cleanup Chewing gum stuck in anything can be a nightmare. Somebody track it in your carpet? Harden it with an ice cube and scrape it out with a dull knife. Then, after most of the mass is out, you can try a warm sponge dipped in water and dishwashing liquid to gently rub out the remaining bits. For getting gum out of hair (oh, those horrible school-day memories!), try working in peanut butter or a little cooking oil into the hair and comb it out. You can even treat your hair as carpet by hardening the gum with ice and then cracking it off.

Shampoo Cleans Oily Spills Spilled salad dressing, butter, or other oils on your clothing, but don't have a stain remover? Remember that most hair shampoo is designed to strip away the oils that accumulate on our head (especially the kind ormulated "for Oily Hair"). If you daub some shampoo on the spot and let it soak in for an hour or so before washing, the stain may well disappear.

Toothpaste Spackle Holes in the walls, but no spackle to cover them? Toothpaste (not the multi-colored kind, obviously) works surprisingly well. Push it in with a toothpick or paper clip, and leave a generous dollop on the surfce. The next day, after it's dried, you can smooth it down with your hand. It'll last, and you can even paint over it.

Mosquitoes Inside You heard an annoying, high-pitched mosquito buzzing in your face just as you were falling asleep, only to wake up to lots of bites all over. All your doors and windows have been closed, so how did those nasty attackers get in? Check your flower vases. Water left in vases for several days is a breeding ground for mosquitoes, just as a swamp is. Change your water daily and throw out flowers that have slimy stems.

Flower Power If you want those fresh-cut flowers to last longer in water, lightly singe their stem ends on your stove (don't set them on fire!).
  • Wow!
    Shawn, I think you know how to solve just about every problem that comes your way! Thanks for all the great tips. Some I had never heard of, but I have another for cleaning grease out of clothes: dish washing liquid.
    Years ago when I worked in a steak house, I never came home without steak grease, butter something all over my shirt. We were not aloud to serve on trays, we had to stack the plates down our arms (shoulder to hand) and even though I never dropped a thing, juice would still get on my shirt. I quickly figured out that dish liquid would get the grease out. I would soak it over night in the sink before I stuck it in the laundry. It even worked on rayon and silk, which I thought was a lost cause.
    Thanks again for all the great tips, especially baking soda dry bath for dogs. I know that will be a life saver in between the wet baths
  • Whoa Shawn , Youve been busy!!

I love reading tips like these and trying out the new ones to see if they really work .

Thanks for taking the time to print all of these !