Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Now the idea about fruitflies is a good one.So is the one about the pictures.Thanks alot ladies!!

Mish
Old 06-21-2007, 03:57 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I love this time of year when my herbs are growing like crazy. Drying herbs is fine, but sometimes I found another way of preserving that I think I really like better.

I take and wash quite a chunk of leaves of i.e., basil put them in my little mini food processor and puree them with a tad bit of water. then I put the herb puree into an ice cube tray and freeze. When I need it for a meal I just pop out a cube and toss it in the pot and let it melt! I am actually mixing more of my herbs together since I usually use more than one herb in pasta sauces etc. The large cube measures out to about a Tbsp and I got the tray that has the little cubes (bought these at the dollar store) and that measures out to about a tsp.

Makes the foods taste great and is so darn easy!
Old 06-21-2007, 09:12 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

Here are some easy and quick tips...

Wash your pantyhose in washer in a plastic onion bag...Store in empty toilet roll core...

Rub bathroom mirrors and windows with a small amount of Glycerin,then buffing to keep them from steaming...

Use strips of wet newspaper instead of masking tape when painting around windows...Comes off easier and is cheaper...This works great when we did the window's last Spring...

Cut rubber bands from the wrists of old rubber gloves for large articles like sleeping bags...etc...

Remove the dust from your drapes by tumbling them in a dryer with heat off every once in a while...Just put in one at a time so the air can circulate through well...

A few candle stubs in a half-pint milk carton make an excellent emergency road flare...keep two or three in the trunk of your vehicle...we never leave home without them...

When painting the exterior of your house add a little insect repellant to the paint to keep the insects from sticking to it...

Try pulling a nylon stocking over your rolling pin.It will keep the dough from sticking...will also make a dandy sieve if you open it out and clothes pin it over the bowl...

Make your own spray for frying pans,cookie sheets,etc...by filling a clean spray top bottle with cooking oil...

Add a grated raw potato to your hamburger meat.The result will be juicy hamburgers...

A little salt sprinkled in frying pan will keep fat or lard from spattering...

Poke a hole in the egg before boiling to prevent cracking...

Heat oranges and lemons slightly before squeezing to get more juice...

Use life savers for Candle Holders on kids birthday cake...we did this with my grandson's birthday cake and he loved it...

To keep Newspaper clippings from yellowing spray with Hairspray...
Old 06-22-2007, 05:36 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks for all the good tips.
Mish
Old 06-25-2007, 07:31 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

If you have more guests than you planned on that show up for your corn feed.....and you run out of the cute little holders you buy in the store.....well here is a great replacement!

Simply pull out those golf tees, wash them off and wahlah! If you know you are going to have a large group, places like Wal-Mart sell bags of tees (50 ct) for about $3-4.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:15 PM
Nine Year Member

If you are planning on being out shopping or a long trip. Store a small cooler inside of a larger cooler your drinks and food will stay cooler longer in a hot car. Nice to have something cold to drink without having to stop somewhere and paying high prices.
_______
Sueanne

Old 06-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

the labels come right off Folger's coffee containers and they make great storage containers for things like pasta, rice, dried beans, etc....keeps bugs out and is cheaper than using plastic baggies..
Old 06-25-2007, 06:53 PM

Happy face

Wow! some more great tips here!

I have one that I've used for a long time

When getting hamburg ready to make spaghetti, macaroni or chili, break it up in a pan, cover it with water & boil it for about 5- 10 minutes. Then drain the water off.. you won't have all that grease to contend with. I use a strainer & pour the water in a empty coffee can( the metal type) & then can throw the whole can away. Saves all that grease from going down the drain & clogging up your drain. Then just add your favorite ingredients to the hamburg & simmer as usual.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:58 PM

Happy face

Good idea Sueanne! I've also taken water & filled a bottle about half way & froze it. Put in the cooler & if you decide to have water instead of sodas, it will be nice & cold when you're ready for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueanne
If you are planning on being out shopping or a long trip. Store a small cooler inside of a larger cooler your drinks and food will stay cooler longer in a hot car. Nice to have something cold to drink without having to stop somewhere and paying high prices.
_______
Sueanne
Old 06-25-2007, 07:02 PM

Happy face

These are also good for storing metal objects like nuts & bolts, nails, screws, etc. They don't rust & keeps the items dry & clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrztomato
the labels come right off Folger's coffee containers and they make great storage containers for things like pasta, rice, dried beans, etc....keeps bugs out and is cheaper than using plastic baggies..

Closed Thread