Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-28-2002, 05:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Cleaning your Computer------------

Hi Everyone,
I would like to hear the different ways you all clean your computers.
I have tried all different ways. And am still looking for a better way.
This means monitor, keyboard in particular of course.
Thank you, Kat
Old 10-06-2002, 07:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Monitor: I buy those wipes from the office supply stores. I like them better than going to try to dig out some cleaner/towels, etc. Plus I know they are ok on my screen.

Mouse: Wipe down with regular cleaner (or even those screen cleaners) if dirty. Turn the mouse over, and turn the piece of plastic casing to open the bottom. Turn the mouse over in your hand for the ball to come out. Clean all the gears and rollers. Sometimes I need to pick off stuck-on junk on the rollerswith my thumbnail. Blow out any dust.

Keyboard: Wipe down with damp papertowel. Use canned air (buy at office supply store) and blow out all the breakfast crumbs and dust.

CPU: Regularly use canned air and blow out the dust that gets along the fan, the holes, the drives, etc. On occasion open your machine and blow out the huge dust balls in there.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb computer cleaning

I use a windex wipe on the screen, a clorox wipe on the plastic and I vacuum the keyboard and back of the tower with a brush attachment. When I have to get inside the tower for something I vacuum with the brush attachment in there too. I use a tweezer to clean the dirt off the rollers inside the mouse. I find that all very easy; it's finding the time to do it at all that seems to be the problem. Good luck to you.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I use canned air for the keyboard to get crumbs, lint out between keys...I use an Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol to clean the mouse area where the ball sits...I clean the rollers with the Q-tip.
On my monitor I dust the top and sides with a soft rag..and I spray lense cleaner, or window cleaner on a soft rag..then wipe the monitor screen clean.
Occassionaly I use the canned air to blow the dust bunnies in the processor out...don't really like opening it up, but if I am adding more memory I clean in there too.

janet
Old 10-07-2002, 06:14 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

If my keyboard is really bad, I pull off each key cover and clean with windex. Don't take too many off though, you never know when the dog will come mix up your keys I try to stay on top of it a little more and just use my Flylady feather duster.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

is there some trick to pulling off the keyboard buttons...that sounds like a wonderful idea but i just tried and they don't want to move....should i get out my crowbar?????

carol
Old 10-07-2002, 01:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

The canned air is fine for the keyboard, but I also have a nifty little brush that has soft bristles on one end and hard on the other. It was made for computers. My mouse is the new scroll type so I don't have that darn little ball to remove any more. I love this one!

I just use plain warm water on a lint-free cloth to clean the screen. Dry with a clean lint-free cloth. Don't get it too wet. On the top of the monitor I use both the brush and the air and hope for the best.

So far I haven't opened the tower, but I know that can be cleaned with the air too. That's my next project.
Old 10-08-2002, 03:23 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

hi everyone and happy halloween! i found a fantastic cleaner that cleans the outside tower,the side and top of the monitor and even the screen!it's called Endust for electronics. it also cleans keyboards and computer cabinets.you can use it to clean the outside of your printer and scanner too.the best part is you only need is the one bottle of the Endust for electronics and that's it! no more dragging out a bunch of different cleaners. the one bottle and a clean dusting cloth,that's all. i absolutely love it...trishs
Old 10-08-2002, 06:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

This sounds great. thanks for sharing it with us!!! I will look for it next time I go to the store.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

About Keyboard cleaning:

I used to be a computer programmer/tech support before my twins were born...when cleaning the keyboard, if the key does not pop off with a little pressure, simply place a paperclip under one of the edges and apply a little pressure. I have noticed that some of the larger keys and newer keyboards use special springs on them, so be very careful. I have never experienced any breakage doing this, but as someone said before, do only a few at a time unless you are sure how they go back. Also, turning the keyboard upside down and shaking works wonder if you can catch yourself accidently dropping crumbs into it.

Just a note, IF you spill hot liquids on your keyboard, it most likely will not work ever again. If you spill cold liquids on it, IMMEDIATELY turn upside down for a few minutes; then pry off each key and clean (unplug it first from the CPU unit so that you won't get a bunch of "junk" on your screen). If you catch it in time, even cola, coffee, or juice should not affect your keyboard (been there, done that!).

Charlene, mother to five

When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window.