Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 10-16-2002, 11:17 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

cleaning keyboard

Thank you all for such good infomation. Sharlibird, I didn't know you could pop off the keys on the board...tried it carefully on a key I never use. Was AMAZED at what I found. I have a webtv plus a computer...did it on the web keyboard ...no wonder I thought it felt like I was typing in glue!! I also checked out the mouse and thought there wasn't anything there. The rollers looked like they had ink on them (thought they were grey with black marks) closer inspection found that they are black and the grey stuff was really matted down lint, etc. Used tweezers to start pulling it off. Couldn't believe what I got out of there. The rest was clean, so that's why when I looked the first time I heard of this, I did nothing. hmmmm. Each thing I learn makes me feel great. Thanks all! shari
Old 10-16-2002, 04:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hi All, I guess I don't have the same problem as everyone else with a dirty keyboard. I don't eat at the computer, or drink...I don't do this in front of the TV either...I guess I take my meals at the dining room table and I guess I am the oddball here! lol

janet
Old 10-17-2002, 08:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Janet,

Even if you don't eat or drink at your computer, you may find that you eventually wish to have a cleaner keyboard. As mentioned above, dust, lint, and hair eventually find their way between the keys, and can interfere with functioning.

Also, in the businesses I have worked in, I have found buildup on the keys from hand lotions, or oils (from technicians no matter how well they think they cleaned their hands). I have also seen staples, paper punches, etc. in keyboards (Those won't come out in the dishwasher.)

Some manufacturing environments have powders in the air which get into the keyboards.

If you have no need to clean your keyboard, I do have to wonder why you would bother with this thread, though.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:12 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

keyboard cleaning

Just want to add that I never thought about cleaning my keyboard because I never eat or drink near it either....just did popped off a key to check because of what I read here...wanted to see if I could. That is why I wrote how surprised I was at what I found. I guess just "living" gets into it. The dust from the air combines with humidity perhaps and forms "dust bunnies" just like your corners or ceiling does. And they were actual tufts of lint, same with the mouse. That was collecting for years and that is probably why it was matted down .
Old 11-02-2002, 02:08 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Could some one send me SIMPLE, DETAILED direction on how to remove the cover on an i mac??? I know it has to be very duwsty inside but no idea how to open. Also i i ccan get it open then how do i proceed? Sure appreciate some help. Rita
Old 11-05-2002, 05:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

keyboard cleaning,,

hi and good morning,im new here, just registered this morning for the forums,,

i do eat at my pc,,and drink coffee especially,,
im more of a snacker in front of my pc,,potatoe chips,cookies,candies,,lol,whatever ,crackers,

when ever i want to clean it,i just turn it upside down,and out falls ,breakfast ,lunch,dinner,and my pc snack,,hehe LOL,,

but honestly i have never heard of putting a keyboard in a dishwasher,and this will not harm it,,just wondering,,