Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-15-2002, 10:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Crusty burner pans!

Hi. Does anyone know how to get crusty dirty burned on food off of the burner pans and rings on the stove?! I have not been able to get them totally clean and would love to know is there is any miracle cleaner that will remove it without a lot of elbow grease! I've already tried steel wool and it helps but doesn't get them the way I'd like.

HELP!!!!!

Stacy
Old 09-15-2002, 10:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Oven Cleaner

My mil and grandmother both suggested that I use oven cleaner, overnight if possible. Just lay out some newspaper in the garage or outside, which is where I did it. I actually used it on the pans and rack in my toaster oven, which were really yucky with burned on "stuff." My mil suggested that I use the cleaner you find at The Dollar Stores, however I found that the brand names (like Easy Off) seem to work better.

Good Luck!
Old 09-15-2002, 12:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Momof4!

THanks. I'll try that. Someday we are going to buy a flat top oven/ range and then we won't have these problems!:p

Thanks again.

Stacy
Old 09-15-2002, 01:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I take a large roasting pan, fill it with enough water to cover my pans and rims add to that 1/2 cup of powdered automatic dishwashing detergent and put all on the stove to boil--stir the soap around when you put it in. I boil it for awhile then take the pans and rims out and wash and dry them by hand. Don't know why it works but it does!
Old 09-15-2002, 02:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Julie

Hi . Does it have to be powdered dishwashing soap? I only use liquid and don't want to go out and buy powdered just to clean pans. That sounds like a good idea though.

Thank you for the tip.

Stacy
Old 09-15-2002, 06:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hey Stacy, I really can't imagine why the liquid wouldn't work. I use the powder because that what whoever gave me the tip told me (plus I use the powder anyway). Hope one of these ideas works for you!
Old 09-16-2002, 03:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Julie.

Thanks Julie. I'll give it a try.

Stacy
Old 09-21-2002, 06:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Dishwasher soap DOES work. ASfter all, the stuff was designed to take food off dishes. I seem to remember it has something that dissolves proteins.

That technique works for any pots and pans with burnt-on food, too.

My stove, when new, had black enameled drip-pans. I replaced them with chrome and find them much easier to keep clean, not sure why, but they are.

Rani
Old 09-21-2002, 07:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I suggest for any food particles on B B Q grills, stove pans, oven racks etc pour plenty of plain ole cheap amonia on them in a large plastic then tie it up and let it set overnight, outside. Wash with regular dish soap next day. Sometimes it does take twice for stubborn or realllllly bad stuff. Another use for amonia is pour it into a bowl and set it in oven. Leave the oven cold and shut the door. DO NOT heat it up. Leave it overnight again. Wash next day as usual with dishsoap.
Hope this helps.
Kat
Old 09-21-2002, 07:42 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Stacey, I would be very afraid to use oven cleaner because it might discolor your drip pans forever. What I do if I have cooked on food or stains is to put very hot water and ammonia -1 cup(smelly) in the water and put the drip pans in to soak overnight. The next morning there will be no need to scrub, just wipe off the baked on food. This works everytime.
Mugwump