Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-23-2013, 03:16 PM
Nine Year Member

I do freeze mushrooms also to add to spagetti sauce and topping pizzas. With my Peppers and onions I've been slicing the long way to use with stir fryies and for frahitas. Then if I need them for the sauces or toppings for pizza I can chop them while frozen and add to what ever I'm cooking. Even use them for omlets.

Vicky
Old 08-23-2013, 05:36 PM

I dice celery, green peppers, onions, & carrots & freeze it. . I also save extra veggies from a meal. I put them in a zip lock baggie & keep adding to it til I have a bag full, Then I don't have to buy mixed vegetables when I make soup.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

All good tips and I do the peppers and onions (scallions)
that way. Sure beats having to cup up at time of making whatever.
Keep the tips comimg
Old 08-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Nine Year Member

After some time of being rather skeptical of cooking corn on the cob in a microwave, I tried it for the first time today. Microwave two ears in husk for 8 minutes. Carefully move to cutting board and cut the ear across at the thickest point (about 1/2 - 3/4 inch up from where the stalk joins the ear.) Lift ear by silks end and squeeze \ shake ear out gently, put on your plate and plop the husk and silks onto a piece of newspaper for extra easy cleanup. Voila! No silks to strip except for a stray or two (I had one on two ears as did DH,) no kettle to wash, no finding stray silks hiding behind things on your counter the next day because they refused to stay on the newspaper you were husking them on. It's win-win to me. Plus the corn is not soggy and we think it tastes better and holds butter better, not to mention saves time. Just my .02
Old 08-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Nine Year Member

Pack small amounts of your favorite spice (red pepper flakes, anyone?) in old Tic Tac boxes, to season food on-the-go.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Great idea Caroline or also to
put meds you may need to take after or with a
meal.

I use tiny zip lock bags for mine
Old 09-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Nine Year Member

Lighten up breaded with cornflakes

Instead of bread crumbs crush cornflakes for a healthier allover crunch. They are lower in fat and sodium and absorb less fat.
________
Sueanne

Old 09-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Assistant Moderator

... they do give a great crunch and depending on the brand are gluten free.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Nine Year Member

Secret to pizzeria crust!

To prevent your pizza crust from drying out, use no more than 1/4 cup of flour on your surface, rolling pin and dough. Excess flour absorbs moisture from dough resulting in a burned and brittle crust. If the dough sticks as you are rolling it, drizzle olive oil on top of it instead of adding more flour.

_________
Sueanne

Old 09-24-2013, 06:34 AM
Nine Year Member

Keeping them crunhy and ready to eat!

Keeping crackers, chips and tostadas in the freezer and securing them closed with a clothespin come out of the freezer as fresh as just purchased. They thaw in seconds and are ready to enjoy.
________
Sueanne