Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-07-2002, 11:23 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Carpenter Ants

Dear Mousebyte,

No, the prickly shell won't hurt kids or pets. They are microscopic and are too small except to bugs. The only possible problem I see is breathing a lot in confined spaces, but using outside or with ventilation should avoid any problem. My husband has severe allergies and has used DE for years with no effect. Hope this helps
Old 06-07-2002, 02:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Miss Peggy thanks for the advice, I'll try this.
Old 06-08-2002, 11:13 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb Capenter Ants

The information posted by our moderator is very good, however, chlorophorus (sp) has been taken off the market due to concerns of nerve damage to younger children. Ortho Corporation is now using Effluvthrin (sp) as a replacement that can be used OUTDOORS ONLY and has a 5 year residual effect. That would make a good treatment to go around the house from the ground to 2 feet up. (follow label directions). For the inside of your home Spectricide Corporation has a permethrin-based insecticide labeled for indoor or outdoor use. This is probably the "safest" to use around pets and small children if you have to use pesticides. The best protection is, as recommended, sealing cracks and crevices and removing damp wood. I would try the exterior options first and wait to see if the ants go away inside your home. This information comes from my husband who had a license to spray pesticides in NC. I hope this helps. We have serious ant problems at our home too, but they are not the carpenter ants, just the tiny black ones that come in by the millions. My husband can get rid of them every year himself by buying products from Home Depot instead of paying the outrageous prices of an exterminator. Good Luck!! Feel free to e-mail me if you have any further questions.
Old 06-08-2002, 03:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I read the description of the carpenter ants above, but how do you tell the difference between them and sugar ants? I have ants in both my bathroom and my kitchen. I have been using Terro liquid ant poison (which works pretty good). But now, you all have me worried that they may be carpenter ants. Anybody know how to tell the diff?

Charlene, mother to five

When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window.
Old 06-08-2002, 06:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

What a coincidence. I just got home from dinner at the home of friends who JUST had their house treated for a major infestation of carpenter ants. They have 3 purebred and very chemical-sensitive cats AND the husband is recuperating from a heart attack AND the wife has some immune disorders, so I was curious about what chemicals were used. Interestingly, they said the company used powdered dried chrysanthemum, took off all the electric outlets and light switchplates and poured it in. The results were quite astounding... the carpenter ants just came out into the rooms and promptly died. If I hadn't seen it going on while we were there, I wouldn't have believed it.

Rani

P.S. To answer Sharli's question, sugar ants are much smaller, and you're right, Terro works great on them.
Old 06-08-2002, 07:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

help -- two questions -- I've seen the larger black ants for years in multiple dwellings and never thought they were carpenter ants -- is the general rule of thumb that if they're larger than the regular "mini" ants than they are carpenters?
And, does anyone know where to find powdwered dried chrysanthemum? This sounds to me as a "better safe than sorry" solution; natural and non-toxic.

I'm new to home ownership so I'm getting a bit freaked, am I over-reacting?? (oh oh, I guess that was three questions )

patti
Old 06-08-2002, 07:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Carpenter Ants/Crysanthumum

Most home improvement stores, such as Home Depot, will have pesticides that contain the extract from crysanthemum flowers. They will not be listed as such however, you can look for the active ingredient "pyrhethrin". Occassionally this is hard to find as most manufacturers are using a similar but chemically derived product known as permethrins. Be cautioned, however, that natural is NOT necessarily SAFE. As far as ant control, these are your best bets. But both are forms of nerve poisons. Just one is "natural" and one is chemically made. Diatomascious Earth, Boric Acid, and Tanglefoot can all be used as a less toxic alternative to ant control. The difficulty with those is that you have to identify and and place the control IN the path the ants will travel making a barrier around the area you want them out of. DE and Boric Acid are both powders and can be washed away easily. Tanglefoot is a sticky paste that is difficult to clean up. If you are trying to keep ants out of your house than you will need to spray outside the perimeter of your house from the foundation to 2 feet up your house and then fill all cracks and crevices that the ants may be using to enter your home with something like caulk. Good Luck. (This is my husband's advice who has taken the pesticide applicators license and rids our home of ants yearly).
Old 06-08-2002, 08:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks, PartyConsultant, your answer was really helpful

I've been trying to fill all the cracks in my house and I knew about Boric Acid and have been trying to outline my rooms with it (under cabinets, around baseboards, etc) and I just found out that DE outside around the foundation will help, but your info about the chrysanthemum will really make a difference since I originally did not think that there would be any toxicity involved in that solution

thanks again
patti
Old 06-17-2002, 12:08 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question

Rowdette,

I read your reply regarding carpenter ants. What is the phone number/address of the Florida company you use?

Thanks,

Steve
[email protected]
Old 06-17-2002, 08:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

carpenter ants

Steve,
In reply to your question I have e-mailed you directley at the e-mail address you provided. If by chance you didnt get it please post to me again.
Thanks Rowdette