Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 04-21-2002, 06:20 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Ants!!!

Every year about this time we start getting ANTS!! I start seeing them on the counters, just a few, then they start coming out like crazy & getting in to the sugar, peanut butter, you name it! I cannot afford an exterminator, so I try using ant sprays I get at different stores. Nothing seems to work, they keep coming back or they find a new place to go to, like the bathroom. Do any of you have this problem & if so, what are you doing to get rid of them! I dislike them sooooo much!!

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2002, 07:28 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Same problem here. Last year I didn't see a single one, but this year......I'm being taken over. I tried putting cayenne pepper around the door....they're just walking straight in the back door which is in my kitchen. I've read drawing a chalk line helps, but how do you get a chalkline around the entire door?? They didn't like the cayenne, but they just crawl up the frame and around. I try to keep it swept very well, so there are no crumbs for them but I still find them everywhere. I've heard borax helps but again.....how do you get borax to stick to a door frame? LOL I'll take any advice, too.....thanks.

May you have warm words on a cold evening ~ A full moon on a dark night ~ and the road downhill all the way to your door. Lisa~
Old 04-21-2002, 07:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

UGH! I feel your pain

I am so sorry that you are going thru this too. I am here in Nj, and the ants were killing us. We had 2 diffrent types living with us, one in the kitchen, living on the rotten kitchen counters, rotten after having a leaky sink, for probably 40 years. Then there were the one in the basement. Not usually indoor ants, but since the guy that we bought the house from did landscaping with rotting telephonepoles, they moved in when they worked thru the poles. It is truly anoying!
We just bought the house in September. I called the company that sprayed for the previous owners, and they came for free. He explained to us why the ants were in the house, and that although he could kill them, they would come back, since, they were driven by the "food". He sprayed, and we ripped out the telephonepoles, and called about having a new kitchen put in. At 15,000.00 not very frugal!! But when you consider that the exterminator is $900.00 a year, maybe it was frugal. We planned on doing it in 5 years.
I do not know any home remedies for ants, I know that boric acid works for roaches. My husband has gotten mass quanties of ant killer, and it has worked, so far. But, I am calling the exterminator this week. It is still under warrenty, so I do not feel I should live with even 1 ant!
Sorry, I rambled on this long, I guess the broken foot, and its medicine is empairing my judgement. Hee-hee
I hope all your ants die!!
Old 04-22-2002, 06:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I can't remember the name of the stuff DM used. Maybe someone else will know. I have seen it in the check out isle at Lowes. It starts with a "t". Anyway, It is in a tube and you put it on small pieces of card board. DM put it in the corners of the kitchen doorway and on the counter when the ants were bad. I don't think you can have it around small children or pets. I remember long lectures about not touching it! It worked well for the kind of ants that like sweet foods.

The Tightwad Gazette has an ant recipe.
10 1/2 ounces of water
3 ounces Tabasco sauce
2 1/2 ounces Dr. Bronner's liquid peppermint soap (available at health food stores)
Spray where ants enter the home.

I have never tried the second one. If I go to Lowes later this week I'll try to get the name of the other stuff.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:06 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Ants

Ants. I hate them. My hubby does too as every spring as soon as I see the first one I start throwing stuff out and packing everything in rubbermaid containers and zip lock bags. I do put ant traps on every shelf in the kitchen but with the cat and dog cannot use anything on floors and with the birds can't spray much. I saw some large spike type poison traps that you pound into the ground outside by where the ants are coming in. I need to look at them and read the package to see if I can use them with my mini zoo. Good Luck to everyone on getting rid of the ants.
Laura
Old 04-22-2002, 06:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I too have ants and they are driving me nuts.

the stuff that Renee mentioned in her post that starts with a "t" is called TARRO (spelling?) but it does work ! it is real thick and you put it onto cardboard squares (like renee mentioned) wherever the ants have been seen. they walk through it and take it back to their "HOME" where it poisons all the other ants.

good stuff!! :mad:

Remember:
Wherever you go, there you are!
Old 04-23-2002, 03:31 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have used that stuff before!! I really didn't like it because the ants would be all over it & everywhere! It seemed to draw them even more. We used it all summer a couple of years ago & they would just keep coming. We never got rid of them! They would still be all over my counters. I can't believe how a little, bitty ant can get me so upset! lol!

Terri
Old 04-23-2002, 06:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

ANTS! HATE THEM IN THE HOUSE!

My neighbor cut down a large ant ridden tree a few years ago and guess where the ants went. I don't mind bugs outside but can't stand them inside! I have sprayed the foundation of the house with a product from Home Depot and placed ant bait(Raid) the kind they walk through and take back to the ant families, have also used the spikes you pound into the ground and have had good results. Mind you I use them all together. Hope this helps.
Old 04-23-2002, 07:01 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks for you help! I have 2 questions to ask though! Where do you place the ant baits (the ones they walk in to & carry back to their families) & also about the spikes that you pound in to the ground outside....do these harm plants or flowers?

Thanks for your help!!!

Terri
Old 04-25-2002, 02:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

The pound into the ground kind I put around the foundation where I was seeing the trails. I did not have any problems with plants or animals...Just make sure you read the labels first. The others I used inside the house where we were spotting them. I did keep the kids away from them...again read the labels.