Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 10-05-2004, 07:11 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Electronic insect repellent.

Is this effective or is just one way to waste money?

I have tried homemade and store bought products and they works great to those insects in contacts, but how about the deep side of the house? They only come out when the light is out and when the light is on they go running for cover. My sink has been free of water and shiny, but still.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

What, exactly, are you asking about???

Old 10-06-2004, 04:19 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

does it works?

I wanted to know if anybody here actually used it and if they are satisfy with its performance. I bought one anyway; coz Target has the item on sale. I wanted to find out how soon should I see the result if it works.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

There are a number of products like this, and I'm not sure which kind you are talking about. the one that sits on the floor? the kind that hangs? the kind that looks like a plug in night light?
Can you find a website that shows the one you are talking about and give us the URL?

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Old 10-08-2004, 08:19 PM
kellyandkids

Go ask the army

Good question! US army has done all the research. DEET works. Period.

Those others things like candles only work if you are sitting directly on them. Some have suggested the electonic devices just attract more bugs. Some people are happy with other skin products.

Take from a life-long Minnesotan - wear a shirt and brimmed hat and pants - and try to get the DEET on them and not your skin wherever possible. I am also fighting ticks.

Note: 3 weeks ago Target put all the spray bottles on clearance. I bought a lot! We live in a very marshy non-urban area with no mosquito control work by the gov't.

FYI from the science teacher: Minnesota has marshes. Florida has swamps. One is a wet grassland and the other is a wet forest.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I had a real bad roach problem several years back when I moved into my house. For quite some time we tried several do it your self treatments & they did not work. One of the things we got was one of the electronic units you plug into the wall. Well, it did not get rid of the infestation. We eventually spent a bunch of money that it was difficult to scrap together to have a company come in & do the works. They did the attic, kitchen cabinets, sprayed, bombed & left a gel bait. All at once with a follow up spray & gel. It took a while but that got rid of the infestation. Since then we have kept the electronic unit & for almost 4 years I have not had a problem with the roaches. Some have come in on groceries about 3 times, but they did NOT stick around. I do think that the electronic thing has a lot to do with that, but this year we have had quite a few brown recluse spiders & the last 2 months we are getting ants in the kitchen. I bought another set of the electronic repelling things & it has not helped with the spiders & ants. I've been trying every natural and/or frugal thing I have heard about, but I'm fixin to get the poison for these ants. At least they don't carry disease, they are just MAKING ME MAD!!! Oh, on the ants, things like grits & cream of wheat do work some, but you gotta have a lot of grits to make it work, I think. Or they just move then eventually come back.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

20-Mule Team Borax works wonders. Spoon it all along the corners where the floor meets the wall (and where bugs of various sorts walk). They pick up the borax and it absorbs a LOT of water out of them, and they just dry up and die. Works wonders for roaches, slightly less well for ants, millipedes, centipedes and not real well with spiders.

Actually, I kinda cultivate the spiders - they eat the other bugs! But I keep an eye out for the brown recluse, and kill them. I just have to be sure I'm killing a brown recluse and not just a Wolf Spider or a Brown House Spider (similar size, similar color, different markings, different shape).

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Old 10-11-2004, 12:47 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

night light

Quote:
Originally posted by ewriggs
There are a number of products like this, and I'm not sure which kind you are talking about. the one that sits on the floor? the kind that hangs? the kind that looks like a plug in night light?
Can you find a website that shows the one you are talking about and give us the URL?

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
I have these thingy that looks like night light
Old 10-11-2004, 02:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Quote:
I have these thingy that looks like night light
If this is the one that I'm thinking about, it isn't very effective. Where these things are concerned, you kinda get what you pay for.

If it is guaranteed, you might take it back and see if they will refund your money.

Depending on the bugs you are trying to get rid of, check out the suggestions of the other contributors above. You might also consider a little "do it yourself" extermination:

do-it-yourself PestControl
http://doyourownpestcontrol.com/

AgSites
http://www.agsites.net/links/pestcontrol.html

BugsOut
http://www.bugsout.com/

There are a number of other ones, but these are the best ones I found.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Old 10-12-2004, 12:55 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

bugs out

It is guaranteed to work, but the fine print says to gave it time.