Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 04-17-2002, 09:15 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hanging out laundry!!

I am loving this early heat spell! The only load my dryer has seen in the past several days is the whites! And as soon as I get a line outside, I plan on hanging those up too! Right now I have both drying racks sitting outside and the line on my porch is also being used with the windows open!! Yeah!! No gas!!!
Old 04-17-2002, 09:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My favorite frugal thing of all ...

I absolutely love to hang clothes outside to dry!! Nothing gives me a greater sense of frugalness than folding clothing or bedding or towels that have dried outside. And they smell so clean!!

Unfortunately, I do not have my new clothes line poles up yet so am using the black wrought iron railing and two drying racks out on the back deck for drying laundry today. Looks a bit jakey, but I don't think the "neighbors" mind ... 40 head of cattle out in the pasture and whatever wildlife is passing through.

Once those clotheslines are up, I won't be using the dryer at all for the remainder of the year except in an emergency ... my mother-in-law hung washing up all year round here in southern Missouri on the farm. Yup, even in winter when it had to freeze dry and then she would "thaw" them out by the wood stove in the house. The overalls and dungarees could stand by themselves they were so stiff during the winter, but when they thawed and dried thoroughly, she had the satisfaction of never turning on the dryer! When we emptied her home after her death, the dryer had not been used in so long that there were birds and other critters nesting in the vent pipes!

Enjoy your clotheslines and congratulate yourself on your frugalness!

Sandie
Old 04-17-2002, 01:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

The apartment complex where we live won't let us up laundry on our patio. I put our t-shirts on hangers and hang them on the door moulding in the doorways. We are buying a house and a clothes line is something I definitely want! In fact when we were house hunting that was one of the things we took into consideration. No housing developments that banned clotheslines! My DH grandmother doesn't own a dryer. She had surgery this spring. Her home-health nurses just couldn't believe she didn't have one. Her clothes always look new - they don't shrink and get beat up in the dryer! That is another savings!
Old 04-17-2002, 02:29 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

When we finally get a house, I plan on trying this. I love hearing it saves money.
Old 04-17-2002, 02:47 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

In alot of countries hanging washing out to dry is the norm,it is not seen as a frugal thing to do but a natural thing to do because generations have been doing it.I come from England where nearly everyone has a washing line.We aslo have tumble dryers because of the English weather.I much prefer line dryed clothes to those dryed in the dryer because they smell so much fresher.Unfortunatly I live in an apartment here in the states so I can no longer line dry.
Old 04-17-2002, 04:59 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I love hanging clothes on the line and it provides entertainment for the whole family.. ...they think I look really funny sniffing every single thing...even socks...but it smells sooooo good.

And it's funny how much more fun the kids think laundry is...especially if you're going out to the clothesline to get away from the dear things for a sec. All the sudden they want to help you with all that hard work. hehe

May you have warm words on a cold evening ~ A full moon on a dark night ~ and the road downhill all the way to your door. Lisa~
Old 04-18-2002, 01:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

That is it!!

I am going to get a real clothes line outside!! I have a little one in my basement, and truly love it. When we come home from the YMCA, our bathingsuits and towels go there, and come down when we leave. I do not think they need to be washed every time. Actually I only wash them every 3 days or so. My sweat towel for the gym is quite diffrent, that gets washed everyday.
Anyway, even though I love my little one, I am going to start getting on the hubbies case about putting in a real one.
Old 04-19-2002, 06:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Okay I admit it...I live in the country and I don't even own a clothes line! I'm just so spoiled I love my clothes to be soft and they smell so good with bounce. How on earth do all of you deal with the stiff, rough clothes? And how can you stand having to iron everything? I admit it I'm lazy! Never iron unless absolutely necessary!;-)
Old 04-19-2002, 06:59 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Actually I think I do less ironing when I hand clothes out!;-) Just stretch them as you hang them and if it is nice and windy out the wind blows them straight. I am notorious for leaving clothes in the dryer overnight anyway, then they are really wrinkled! And Bounce cannot compare too that wonderful fresh clean smell clothes get when they are dried in fresh air and sunshine! Most clothes are not very stiff either. Towels are what get really stiff, so sometimes I dry them especially if company is comming. But I don't mind them personally. Or I am sure adding Downey too your washer would help quite a bit also, I use vinegar myself and my clothes aren't stiff. And think of all the extra money you are paying your utility company. Think of how many loads you dry a month and add up the cost, and think what else you could do with that money!
Old 04-19-2002, 08:14 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

There is nothing better than getting into bed at night and having crisp beautiful smelling line dried bedding.