Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 05-02-2002, 04:44 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I too used to live in an apartment and couldn't hang my stuff out, but sometimes I'd hang my quilt over the balcony railing to air out, and I'd hang some damp clothes on hangers from the gutters above!

Now we're in a house and I told DH I wanted a clothesline!! This may sound stupid, but I don't have a tree that I can install a clothesline on, the kind that you reel in, you know? What kind of poles or whatever do you use to have a free standing clothesline??

I bought a clothesline at Home Depot, just the string. Right now I have one end attached to the wrought iron railing, and the other end strung along on one of those sheppard's poles that you hang lanterns on! It's not strong enough though.

I love to hang my sheets and towels out, but not clothes, unless it's t-shirts or something like that. Jeans and things definitely go in the dryer!!
Old 05-04-2002, 02:56 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We had beautiful weather here today, I hung out 4 loads of laundry!
Old 05-05-2002, 01:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Laundry

EJaginLa: Everytime I tried to answer your post I got disconnected from my server. It was almost spooky, I would type in your name and wham I was disconnected.
I did buy solar screens about 10 years ago. I figure they paid for themselves in 2 or 3 years. They are wonderful. We should post this on one of the frugal boards. I had 10 windows done - 3 really large ones. I like the look of them, the privacy factor during the day, and the savings. It has been so hot though, that I miss my tree already. I guess I will try hanging laundry out again if you think the bug problem should be gone now that the tree is gone.
What about fading though - has that been a problem for you? Also, everything is so wrinkled from lack of a breeze, I guess.
My subdivision was built about the same time as yours. People should consider retiring here. It really is a cheap place to live. The Cajuns are friendly, there's always something to do, and the real estate tax rate can't be beat (I am saving change in a jar to see if I can pay my real estate taxes with it. When I lived in Massachusetts, my taxes were sky high).
Have a great day neighbor!
Old 05-05-2002, 02:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I used to be a huge fan of hanging out clothes until birds flew over and crapped all over them.

Never again.

If I do have anything that needs to be hung dry I will do so on my 3-season porch or in the basement.

I have too many experiences to be pooped on again
Old 05-05-2002, 10:35 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I don't hang dry everything....I'm with Kimmyo

I only have one of those reel type clothes lines on my patio and do hang dry rugs, blankets, swimming towel, swimsuits and some other things. But for the most part I'm happy to use the dryer and pay for the priveledge of non wrinkled clothes. I can't smooth out enough to get that from my line dried clothes. I hate to iron, in fact our dryer "irons" for us when we need a fluff up or just to get a hanger mark out or something....guess I should post this in the what are you not frugal about forum, eh? Kudos to you girls who love to line dry......wish I did.
Old 05-07-2002, 01:55 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Spoiled Rotten

PrarieRose, we are spoiled rotten as well so don't feel bad but I do love to hang my area rugs, sheets, blankets, robes and such for that awesome scent of fresh air.

Mulberry, we Cajuns just love good food, honest people who can carry a great conversation and of course dancing and partying. From the sound of your messages you've done well fitting right in.

Again, I don't leave my clothes out all day. I do not work outside the home so it is not a problem for me to run outdoors and grab them after 45 minutes, fluff them a little if needed in the dryer, fold, hang and put away. Any longer in this tropical paradise would definitely do damage over time. This is why we lay our whites soaked in lemon juice outdoors; with our sun it will get them as white as the day you bought them with no bleaching. I have well water so this is always a challenge around here.

Mulberry, this horrible intensive heat and drought conditions we are experiencing so early this year definitely has my attention as well. We Cajuns call this the perfect recipe for a bad Hurricaine Season. Just hang in there and drink lots of water and for heaven's sake, stay out of that sun from mid-day until evening.

By the way, do get out and enjoy some of the Contraband Days events during Mothers Day weekend. I'll be there in costume!
Old 05-09-2002, 03:48 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I love to hang out my laundry! I try to hang dry as much as possible......I can not remember my mom using her dryer very very little.....she/We were always hanging out the laundry.

I have seen where it does make a difference in the power bill as well......that makes me !!
Old 10-28-2002, 06:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

For those times I can't hang out clothes due to weather I use tinfoil in place of fabric softeners in my dryer. I can use the same piece over and over and my clothes end up just as soft with no static...plus we don't have all those chemicals from the softeners.

Michaela
Old 11-27-2002, 12:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hanging out laundry in cold weather

I LOVE hanging out my laundry and do it as much as possible--pretty much everything except underwear and socks! However, I have 2 questions:

1- Does anyone hang out clothes in the wintertime (i.e. N. Wisconsin--very frigid)? If so, is it worth it? Don't they just freeze? Don't you have to then bring them in and dry them inside anyway? I have always just stopped hanging out once the weather turns cold here.

2- Is there any advantage to the 2 poles with lines between style vs. the umbrella style clotheslines? I have the umbrella style, because of space issues, and it works just fine--but am wondering if a 2 pole line system would allow my clothes to dry faster.

Would appreciate any input---- Thanks in advance!!!
Old 12-16-2002, 10:38 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

rivermom I would have to say that yes, the two poles do make a difference. I use to rent a home with a yard, and had the two pole thing...then we bought a mobile home in a mobile home park Now I have to use the umbrella type. My clothes take much longer to dry on the umbrella type especially in cooler weather.

I too, stop to hang my clothing out probably about mid November, and start again beg of March...with few times in between that I hang clothing out, like really warm and/or windy/breezy days. I find that over the winter I end up bringing frozen clothing in and having to either hang around the trailer or throw in the dryer.

And I think for who ever asked I thing the poles could be found at any hardware store, or home depot and such!!!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!