Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 04-20-2002, 03:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Clotheslines

Boy I used to love hanging my laundry on a line when I lived in New England. I lived at the beach and everything smelled great. Down here though in s.w. Louisiana, I have found bug eggs on some of my laundry and that's it for me. I took down my clotheslines and hang things in the house, but not outside anymore. I try to use the dryer once or twice a week at the most.I do like the way the towels come out. Down here the towels came out stiff as a board and all wrinkly - I guess from lack of any wind. Clothes do last longer and stains are less likely to set in when you don't use a dryer. I do always have a lot of laundry hanging in the guest bathroom - which I am sure looks very tacky. Oh well, cheaper, better for the clothes and good for Mother Earth.
Old 04-21-2002, 05:03 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lightbulb How to line dry without the stiffness.

Hi all;

I too just love the smell of line dried clothes but couldn't deal with the starched feel of jeans, towels and such. My 96 year old grandmother taught me to fluff these items in the dryer once they've been line dried to eliminate the stiffness. Instead of running my drier for 60 minutes + to dry my laundry I am now only using 5 minutes and I still have the enjoyment of that line dried smell without the starch.

Mulberry, we must be neighbors. I too reside in S.W. LA. I live outside of the city limits so we have plenty of wind, so much so that I've retrieved laundry from the neighbors yards. LOL
Old 04-21-2002, 07:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Stiff clothes

I don't rememeber having stiff clothes as a child, and everything was hung out to dry then. As far as ironing, I also think that my clothes are just fine, as far as wrinkles.
Hey, I just thought of something, isn't it great to cut down on the chemical we put in and against our bodies. When you hang out your clothes, there is no need for fabric softener, and all its perfumes, and chemicals. Just a thought
Old 04-21-2002, 11:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Question Iron

What's an iron? LOL Wouldn't remember how to use it even if I found it ... truth is I wouldn't WANT to use it.

As far as stiff towels, I don't really mind them. Why, some folks spend a fortune on exfoliating creams to remove dead skin cells from their bodies. All I have to do is dry with one of my towels that has been line-dried and not had fabric softener of any kind added. Works wonderfully!!

(The cure for stiff toweling is to shake them so hard they whip or snap ~ when I hear that snap, I know I can fold them up and they will be without that ultra stiff "soft-as-a-rasp" feel.)

Only time I don't like line drying is when birds fly over my lines filled with clean clothes and they have recently been feasting on mulberries. Seems like every time their little wings flap, they are excreting mulberry stains directly on my clean laundry! Awwwwkkkkk!)

Sandie
Old 04-21-2002, 11:43 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

That happened to me last year.....nice purple spot on my favorite t-shirt. I got it out with hydrogen peroxide, but I let it sit too long and it bleached it out. I had just worn it for the first time....splashed coffee grounds on it......hung it out and birds poo-poo'd on it......then peroxided it and it looked tye-died....decided to wear it for just around the house.....then took a load of towels out that I had used lots of bleach in and ended up bleaching the shirt under my arm where I was holding the bunch of towels. LOL That poor shirt was never meant to be. It's definitely my "grunge" shirt.......oh yeah, and last week dh left a pen in his pocket (which I usually check, but missed it) and that got on the shirt, too. It's cursed I tell 'ya.

May you have warm words on a cold evening ~ A full moon on a dark night ~ and the road downhill all the way to your door. Lisa~
Old 04-21-2002, 01:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Clothes dried on the line.

Hey EJaginLa! Iwondered if you were from these parts! I live in the city. You need to send us some of your cool breezes, I think it's about 85 degrees today. Seriously, don't you have a problem with bug eggs getting onto your line dried laundry? It's happened to me more than once, and I have given up. Plus when the sun is hot, the laundry facing the sun fades! How do you handle this climate? Do you think I will ever get used to it? It is just so hot.
I just had to cut down a huge oak tree as it was too close to the house and with the drought we are having, I worried about the foundation. This will be an extra hot summer without its shade. I felt really bad cutting it down. It was good for noise reduction and looked so pretty.
Wouldn't it be funny if we knew each other? Such a small world. Have a good day.
Old 04-25-2002, 02:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Love to hang things out.

I put towels and jeans in the dryer for a few mins. with a softner sheet then hang them out and no stiff clothes here.
My Mom taught me this trick growing up.
Old 04-26-2002, 03:54 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Neighbors

Hey Ms. Mulberry;

You just cut down the difference in your sun dried laundry and mine, it's called trees. Where we live the only trees are those that we've planted since the subdivision was established in 1982 so they are still very young and very small. When I lived in the city we had old oak, magnolia and pecan trees and hanging laundry was out of the question for the same reasons you are mentioning, bugs, bugs and more bugs which originated from these old trees. If this oak tree you removed was the one near your line you may consider trying it again with much success. As for the sun and faded clothing, we don't leave our laundry on the line but for an hours or so. This prevents any sun fading. I am a S.A.H.M. therefore it's not a problem but for those of you that work outside the home I can see where this would be inconvenient.

As for getting use to our very tropical climate, I can only assume that you aren't originally from here so you may want to take it easy outdoors and drink plenty of plain H2O. I am born and raised here and even us homegrown cajuns still excersize caution in these extreme temps. I try to take care of my outdoor activities from 7:00 a.m. till 9:00 a.m. which includes weeding, vegetable gardening, flower gardening, keeping deck and entrances swept and decluttered and of course the never ending laundry.

P.S. - If this tree was shading your windows and doors you may want to call East Aluminum on Common Street. Most of us with no shade have had him come out and make custom screens for our windows and they are very inexpensive and we have all noticed a drastic difference in our heating and cooling expenses. The savings in one month alone on my electricity bill more than paid the $80 for all of my windows to be rescreened with this special screen that blocks out 95% of the uv rays without blocking your view to the outdoors. Hope this helps! No, I don't own this company nor do I know the owners personally, but I do know that he does a very good job.
Old 05-02-2002, 12:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I would love to hang out my laundry to dry but we don't have a line to hang them on.

I would love to hang out my laundry to dry but we don't have a line to hang them on outside so often times I hang them up in the bathroom or in the laundry room to dry!!

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 05-02-2002, 03:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Does anyone know how Amy D figures out the money per hour you are making by doing certain things... I wonder what the amount is for hanging out laundry. I think I will look it up.
Anyway, I have said before I have a alittle clothesline in my basement.. It takes forever for things to dry. I am going to get a outside line, I swear. Right now, my hubby is in the middle of re landscaping the yard. When he is done, I am going to just do it...
Did anyone see the news report on how it is illegal to hang your laundry in your own front yard in the hamptons? Damn rich people..