Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 05-13-2002, 08:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

laundry hanging techniques

Since I got married, I changed they way I hang my laundry. I was wondering how everyone else does it. For example...

I now hang our jeans and pants upside down. I find the pockets dry better. I also hang the dress pants with the legs together, so they crease while drying.

If its breezy & I have a lot to hang, I hang both pj pieces together or will hang 2 same size tshirts together.

I will hang comforters over all three lines (and pin to all three) with small amount of drape between to have less whipping.

Additionally, I hang my dh polos upside down on the hangers for the closet. It eliminates the hanger marks on his shoulders. He really likes it this way!
Old 05-13-2002, 11:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

how do you hang a polo shirt upside down on a hanger?.....i hate those hanger marks too...

i always run out of pins so one article is often hooked to the next and so on.....great for towels

carol
Old 05-13-2002, 07:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I fold the polo vertically in half & pin the hem on top of the hanger (halfway down)...I hope that made sense. I usually keep the collar unfolded, & let dh fold it himself.

I also run out of pins. Its frustrating when they break! Its normally breezy here, so I have to use extra just to keep the stuff on the line.

Do you leave your pins on the line? My mom & MIL do, but I don't. I use a hanger bag. I think they last longer & are where I need them this way!
Old 05-14-2002, 06:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I'm sorry that I can't give credit....but someone on here has a length of chain as part of her clothes line. That way she can hang hangers in the chain lengths and they don't blow away. I thought that is brilliant and plan to do that too.

I am also interested in what I have read about people putting vinegar in the rinse water as a softner. I love learning on here!
Old 05-14-2002, 06:47 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I thought the art of hanging clothes on the line was about dead. It's good to see people are still frugal and use free resources. I have a tip. I use a blue jean pant leg to make a clothes pin bag, one that thread bare and cut off, of course. I use a child's hanger, cut a hole about mid-way, adjust how large you want the hole and how many pins you have, sew top, except a small amount for hanger and wala!! you have a bag that will out last any you might buy.
Old 05-16-2002, 11:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hanging clothes on the line

To avoid as many wrinkles as possible, I hang:
-- dress shirts by the hem with clothespins on the seamline
-- fold jeans waistband over line and clip securely, pulling side pockets out to dry
-- dh's undershirts and T-shirts by folding the bottom hem over the clothesline and clipping securely.

To not inadvertently lose a part of a set, I hang:
-- the flat sheet folded lengthwise with selvage edges folded over the line and clipped on. Next, take fitted sheet and fold lengthwise, then clipping with same clips already on other sheet. Next, take pillowcases and layer over other sheets, pinning securely. It's simply layering. (When I take fold and fold, the flat sheet and bitted sheet are folded independently, then the pillow case, stacking all, and put inside the remaining pillowcase in a nice neat bundle. I know when I change the bed that I have all the pieces together in one bundle.)
-- socks are slightly overlapped at the toe with its mate and pinned on the line.
--pajama bottoms on line with waistband rolled over line and pinned. Then take the top by the two side seams at the bottom and layer onto same area with bottoms, using same pins. (Pants are right side up, top is hanging upside down.

I have also found that a clothesline support pole or two works wonderfully in preventing sagging lines. The pole is simply a 6' or 7' piece of lumber (square) with two long nails partially pounded into the top. The bottom of the wood is angled for a better grip into the ground. When ready to use, slip the line (with laundry already on) between the two nail heads and prop up the pole at an angle to support the weight of the clothes and line.

Sandie
Old 05-16-2002, 11:49 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle Love my clotheslines

Hello ladies,

I have 4 LONG lines in my side yard and can not live without them.

I first wash and hang my towels and sheets, the towels take longer to dry. I hang bath towls together and kitchen towels together. This makes for an easy take down because the sorting is done.

I have enough room on the lines to hang all my sheets seperate and they will dry in minutes. I have hung my comforters over three lines and pined all before...it is best way I think.

I then wash and hang my dark clothes, they take a while to dry also, then the lights, and then the whites. I sort as I hang on the line ALL of our clothes, mine together, DH together, sons together...sorting done and I fold out at the line (I get plenty of fresh air this way) and stack or drape over the basket as needed...when in the house, I first hit the boys rooms....their clothes on top of basket and work way thru the house til finished.

By the time all that is done ... I NEED a break !

I would be lost with out my clothes lines and props for them. I also have a spare room in the house that I hang lines in the winter months so I can use if I want to. No one goes in there...company that is.
I'm sure that this has saved us a ton on the light bill.

My pet peeve about clothes pins is this : I hate the small ones (the kind you get at the dollar stores)....I have some larger ones but, they are dwindling on me. I do not know where I got the big ones at but, I need more. I don't like the round ones either.

Does anyone know where to get GOOD pins ?
Thanks for letting me ramble on about my lines and pins,
spacedup in IN..

Where we always have wind and it makes for fast drying on the lines.
Old 05-16-2002, 11:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I don't have an outdoor clothesline but I still hang clothes to dry. For shirts or blouses I use my old shoulder pads on the hangers to keep the hanger marks away. Works for me, hope it helps you.

Katrink
Old 05-16-2002, 01:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

try looking at the small family run hardware stores. that's where i found my larger clothes pins. i saw on a website somewhere and apron for holding clothes pins. it is basically a regular apron with a panel sewn onto it. the panel covers the whole front of the apron and has two pockets so you can reach in and pull out the clothes pins. once i go through my fabric and see what i have leftover, i'm going to make one for myself so i don't have to keep moving the pin holder back and forth between my lines. i have on on the house going to a tree and one that used to be a dog lead but is high enough i can use it for clothes.
Old 05-16-2002, 04:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Just a little chuckle, but my grandma taught me to hang underwear, bras, etc on the middle clothes line! So the neighbors won't be looking at your "unmentionables".
My 8 year old helps me and I taught her this the other day. We giggled , too.