Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 05-17-2002, 01:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

The first thing I do is to give a good shake to the item I'm going to hang. It seems to get most of the wrinkles out so things dry quicker. I also try to hang through only one thickness of cloth and I don't fold anything over the line - I put one thickness up against the line and pin. Jeans are hung by the back of the waistband, with the zipper gapping open to let air circulate. Dress pants, I also hang from the cuff. T-shirts I hang from the hem - I'd rather have the pin marks there than at the shoulder. Shorts can be tricky - If they're made of heavier material - I will hang them upside down with the crotch at the line and the legs sort of spread out in a v-shape. (I don't know if that makes any sense)

In the winter I hang in my basement - where the furnace and furnace vents let off just enough heat to dry everything quite well. We have several lines strung across our basement so I can have 2-3 loads hanging at a time.

We have 6 people to do laundry for, so I try to do at least one load every day. I usually dry socks and underwear - just cause I hate hanging them all, but if I only have a few in a load I'll hang the socks from the cuff - again only one side of the sock gets pinned. I also try to hide my 'delicates' in away from view of the street.
Old 05-17-2002, 01:33 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle Clothespins at the hardware store.

pita1213,

You are right ! I never thought of them. ;-) I had a meeting last night that lasted til morn and had ask a friend there...she said the same thing...check hardware store in Amish Country.

Thank you very much...you so smart !!

I got on computer this morn (2 am) and found a wonderful site that has pictures (so you know what you are getting) of the clothespins. They have several in all. I'm mailing my check out this weekend and getting some really GOOD ones.

OK, here is the site to check out...they have several hardware stores listed so, you might find one closer to you than I did. I called my local one but, they do not have the right pins for me.

I'm getting the good wooden ones, 36 for $3.?? and some newer large plastic ones (never seen before) 24 for $2.?? . Heck that ain't bad at all. I'm buying more than one package of each because I'm NEVER gona run out again ...in my lifetime .

http://www.yodershadware.com

Not all hardware stores listed will have the same things so make sure before you buy.
I get NO commision from this place (darn it).

We have really nasty weather today in IN. but, I got 2 loads dried and put away. Not before fighting those crazy clothespins tho.. :mad:
Old 05-18-2002, 02:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I was taught to to hid the unmentinables inside too! That was at home where it was 2 T bar with three lines. I only have a small umberella style though. It works.

I try and vary what I hang with this cloth line: large, small, large, so the wind or air can help it dry. I also try to but the whites on the outside to have the sun bleach them.

Also with the clothes pins, I have a few different styles, wooden of course and some good plastic ones. Shouldn't run out for a while. When the weather is bad I try and hang at least the childrens items and some of my husband's stuff downstairs in the basement. My clothes pin bag is a pillow slip. My sister gave it to me when they moved and I didn't know what it was for - so I used it for my clothes pins. Then my mil came over and told me what it actually was for. Oh well it does the job!

Someone mentioned vinegar in the rinse - I do that and it works great.

Happy hanging!
Old 05-23-2002, 04:56 AM

hi

I also love to hang out my laundry.....it not only saves on electric costs it also is a great de-stresser for me. I found really nice pins at walmart. Also I use a nail pouch tieed around my waist to carry my pins as I hang, they are inexpensive and can be found at any hardware store or you could make one Vinager works fabulous as a fabric softener! Have a great day one and all!
Old 10-17-2002, 12:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hello,

Please be advised that this thread will be moved to the Clothing and Laundry area of Household Hints & Tips on 10/20/02.

Thank you
Old 10-28-2002, 04:26 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I just wanted to say that I LOVE hanging my clothes. We just bought a new house and I have a HUGE basement - -YUP -- with clothes lines neatly hanging throughout. Can't wait to see how much this saves on the electric bill!
Old 11-17-2013, 01:35 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My laundry hanging/pinning methods are much the same as covered.

Panties/underpants, get tacked to the line by the waistband, which is folded over the line slightly to secure, before pins are applied. (Two pins per pair).

Diapers (flannelettes), get folded over the line (top corners) then pinned. Two pins per diaper, and on hot days, two diapers are mated together before fastening, to help increase drying time to help reduce stiff diapers.

Rubber pants, are turned inside out (or vice versa) depending on how they were laundered, then given a couple of sharp pops or snaps to shake wash-water out of them, then pinned to the line by the side-waistband, so any remaining moisture inside the pants drains out of one of the elastic leg holes, rather than pooling inside the seat of the pants. (Single pin per pair of pants). Windy/breezy days... double-pins.

Baby sleepers, are fastened to the line by the shoulders. (Two pins).

Rubber/flannelette crib sheets, are draped over line (half-and-half) then pinned using two pins.

Baby washcloths, are tacked to line using one pin per cloth.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:07 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Oh.. and I never leave clothespins hanging on the line by themselves.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:14 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Speaking of clothespins... check out this vintage clothespin holder bag of mine.

Attachment 31010

Last edited by Miss Money Penny; 11-25-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Miss Money Penny,

Cool vintage clothes pin bag. Just love it. Where did you find such a thing?

Re: hanging laundry- I have to use my racks, so sometimes after they dry there will be a line across the clothing item. Oh well, at least they are clean. LOL!

Blessings
Dawn