Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 03-22-2003, 03:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Found this on a tip site...

To remove grease from clothing: Pour Coca-Cola onto the grease spot and rub it in. Then pour some more on the spot and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Launder your clothes with detergent as usual.

You can either drink the rest of the Coke or pour it in the washing machine at the start of the wash cycle. No, your clothes don't come out sticky.

This works well even on the heavy, thick grease that truck drivers get on their shirts when they exchange trailers.

Note: I use Coke because we drink it anyway. Any similar brand would probably work just as well. I suspect it's the phosphoric acid in the drink that does the trick.

Submitted by Elizabeth

I know a great way to get rid of oil or butter from clothing and prevent it from staining.
All you need to do is sprinkle some dusting powder (talc) over the oil mark and leave over night, wash the garment as normal the following day. The Talc will draw all the oil out of the clothing and completely remove all trace. Trust me it really works!

Submitted by Vicki, London

For butter and grease stains use Dawn Dish Soap. This works even after you have let the stain set in and tried other ways of getting it out.
Pour soap on the stain and take a wet wash cloth and rub the soap in really really good. Then Add more soap and rub some more. Finally put more soap on the stain and place the wash rag on the stain and roll the item up with the wash rag still inside. Place this in the washer and wash with medium warm to hot water.

Submitted by Andrea, West Virginia USA

To remove oily stains on clothing, try sprinkling baby powder on the stain. Let it absorb the oil for about 24hours. Then wash or dry clean as normal

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 03-22-2003, 03:09 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

Shawn has a LOT of cleaning tips on THIS site! Just have to do some looking....

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/f...?s=&forumid=75
Old 03-22-2003, 04:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

try soaking it in a shampoo made for oily hair.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

If you have some Avon pink bubble bath try that. Some people say that it works too.
Old 03-23-2003, 12:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Do these ideas work on those clothes you've already dried? I get those mystery grease stains that don't show up until after you've dried the clothes!
Old 03-23-2003, 01:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ummm.. usually dryer heat sets the stain.. You can try soaking....
or if white, use clorox. I've heard some say they've tried soaking in dishwasher detergent......cascade.. but I don't recommend it....
it is very strong soap and it does contain bleach.

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 03-23-2003, 01:34 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Grease on clothing

My husband worked in a car factory. I always used Lestoil on his clothes. I would put it directly on the stain, scrub it with a cleaning brush, put a little more on and throw it in the washing machine on the hottest water recommended for the material. His clothes came out like new 98% of the time. Bev
Old 03-24-2003, 02:26 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Backhoe grease

I came across this "recipe" for a pre-treater for clothes in the Heloise column. It's the best! I don't use anything else except for occasional Oxy Clean for old stains/set in stains.

1/3 water
1/3 dish washing detergent, I use Dawn
1/3 ammonia, sudsing or plain doesn't matter

Mix in a spray bottle, shake well. You'll find the detergent may not want to mix in right away. Just shake until it does.

Spray on stains and wash. You can let it soak for a little while if you prefer. I even let mine sit over night because I didn't finish the laundry at that time. It works great on everything, colors, whites, sheets, blankets. It even works great on blood. I've never had a problem with it, ruining something because of the color or fabric. I love it! If it cleans my kids clothes then back hoe grease will be a breeze!;-)
Old 03-24-2003, 11:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Tamaris! Nice to meet you!

That sounds like a winner.. I've copied it and I have it pasted in my laundry room.....

Thanks for sharing! and welcome to Family Corner!

Old 03-26-2003, 07:33 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Try using some WD40 on the grease stain. My son got some tar on his good school pants , I sprayed some on let it soak in, then blotted it out and washed as usual. The stain was gone.

Lisa