Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-11-2002, 07:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Exclamation There was a Crayon in her pocket!!!

There is bright red Crayola crayon melted over the entire load of wash.

But to make matters worse..it's all over the inside of my gas clothes dryer!! What can I do to get it clean??? Does anyone have any tips to save the day? I still have laundry to do and I don't know where to start.

Please help!!!
Old 08-12-2002, 04:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hello,

I have place a response in the Household Hints & Tips Section , please see the stain removal section.

Thank you
Old 08-16-2002, 10:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

we had that happen to a load of whites with a fuschia crayon. Liquid Tide had just come on the market and we had samples of it from the mail. We poured it on the stains and rewashed. All the crayon came out. So I use liquid Tide for everything. And I keep a bottle of 1 part liquid Tide to 3 paarts water in a squirt bottle for pre-staining.
Old 08-16-2002, 11:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'll Try anything

Thank you for posting. As of today nothing has worked. My DH tried the tips Shawn posted. I went to the Crayola website and we went through more DW-40 than I would care to use in a lifetime, and the inside of the dryer is still a mess!

I have a feeling the Labor Day sales will yield a new dryer for my credit card to bear.

'Till then, Hubby will have to string clothes line in the basement....he is not a happy hubby

:mad:

I can't walk the stairs, so he is stuck with the laundry to begin with ( that's how the crayon sneaked past detection) and he is just fuming still...

Oh well...the laundry wars continue...I'll add Liquid Tide to the shopping list!

Thanks!!
Old 08-16-2002, 11:26 PM
Nine Year Member

OXY CLEAN!!!!

It's aweome!!!

Lauri
Old 08-17-2002, 12:50 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Try cleaning the inside of the dryer with some of the new orange oil cleaners. Let it sit on the durface or some time to dissolve the residue. You may have to spray it several times. Then I would tumble an old towel - on air dry or cool - for several minutes to "collect" the residue. Couldn't hurt and would be ccch+eaper than a new dryer.
Old 08-17-2002, 01:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thank You puprun

I will sugest this to DH. He was saying that the DW-40 just wasn't getting all the crayon off the inside of the dryer drum.

Maybe the orange stuff will do some good. After all, it can't hurt.

He was threatening to take the whole machine apart on Sunday So maybe we will try this first.
Old 08-17-2002, 04:25 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

this happened to me about 14 yrs ago and i used Lestol (sp) you have to putit full strength on the spot and rub alittle when all that is done add some to the laundry and wash as usual. i would apply some to a rag andwipe the inside of the dryer. everything came out using only a little elbow grease!!!
good luck
Old 08-17-2002, 07:23 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

May be heating the dryer up and then using a cleaner on the warm drum. I like the idea of putting in an old towel to tumble and colloct the crayon, except I would try a low heat. Maybe shoes in an old pillowcase to be a little rougher. Maybe contact an appliance repairman or the manufacturer. Hope it works for you.
Old 08-17-2002, 08:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lightbulb CRAYON REMOVER

HELLO.

I THOUGHT THE LESTOIL AND THE ORANGE CLEANER WERE GOOD IDEAS TO TRY.MAYBE WET AN OLD TOWEL WITH LESTOIL CLEANER AND TUMBLE IN THE DRYER-THEN TRY TO WIPE REST OF CRAYON OUT? IF NOT-

FIRST-THIS IS WHAT I WOULD TRY-HEAT DRYER AND TRY RUBBING ALCOHOL ON A TERRY CLOTH RAG-FUMES MIGHT GET STRONG-OPEN WINDOWS OR USE A FAN-DONT USE TOO MUCH-SINCE YOU HAVE A GAS DRYER-IT IS FLAMMABLE!!!

SECOND-TEA TREE OIL=TRY IT THE SAME AS ALCOHOL-SAFER-AND NO BAD FUMES-COSTS ABOUT $5 A BOTTLE AT WALMART.(IT IS FOUND IN THE PHARMACY DEPT.)

IF THEY DONT WORK-TRY A SOLVENT-BE CAREFUL BECAUSE OF THE FUMES-BUT I THINK IT WOULD REMOVE THE CRAYON. THE GROCERY OR WALMART SHOULD HAVE A GOOD ONE TO TRY.

DO YOU KNOW ANYONE NEARBY YOUR HOUSE THAT BUYS MELALEUCA PRODUCTS???-THEY HAVE A SAFE SOLVENT THAT SUPPOSIDLY REMOVES INK FROM A DRYER-CRAYON MIGHT WORK TOO. UNFORTUNATELY-THEY ONLY SELL ONLINE-NOT IN STORES.

ALSO- I WAS SEEMING TO RECALL THERE IS A LINE OF CLEANERS THAT HELOISE RECOMMENDS- THEY SUPPOSIDLY HAVE SOMETHING FOR EVERY CLEANING PROBLEM IMAGINABLE.
I AM SURE HELOISE HAS A WEBSITE AND THE NAME WILL POP UP.
I THINK WALMART CARRIES THAT LINE OF CLEANERS ALSO.

GOOD LUCK.

SINCERELY-SHEILA ANDERSON