Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-10-2002, 08:05 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Fabric Softeners???

Is there really a difference in name brand Fabic Softeners vs. the genric brands?
Which do you guys like better liquid or sheets?

I use Downy or Snuggle but was wondering if the Wal-Mart brand was any good.

Houston-Mom
Old 07-10-2002, 08:18 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Well myself, I've had reactions to generic brand liquid softeners, so I only use Downy. BUT I don't use it as is. I fill a spray bottle halfway with water and the other half with Downy. I give the inside of the dryer (the drum) about 8 or 10 squirts and then throw the wet clothes in. Works perfectly!
Old 07-10-2002, 08:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Amanda, Im going to try your method the next time Im out. Right now Im using a store brand of softener sheets and cutting them in 1/2, that works fine for our stuff. I used to use Downy's wrinkle reducer and I swear it really worked ! ( maybe just my imagination but I think it worked ) It is expensive though. Think it might work in a spray bottle as well ?
Old 07-10-2002, 08:59 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I must be sheltered, I've never heard of that wrinkle reducer I'll have to look next time I'm out!

How do you put it in, just like softener? It might work in the spray bottle!
Old 07-10-2002, 09:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Yep, it comes in the same Downey bottle but its the dark blue one. I assume it would work the same way. Ill try it and let you know what I think.

You know what, now that I think about it I think that you have to use it in the washer for it to be effective.

Have you ever had any trouble with the Downey staining anything in the dryer ?

Last edited by ajrsmom; 07-10-2002 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-11-2002, 03:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I think there are differences between name and generic brands. They all smell differently and even though they are basically made the same way some ingredients do vary.

I have tried themall but I seem to only like Downy. The smell and the way my clothes come out soft.

I use both the liquids and the sheets.

Now my mom and neighbor uses generic (I can smell the difference) but they are fine with theirs.

I think it all depends on the person and their thoughts.

As for the dewrinklers, I have heard and seen them, just never tried them.

I am also going to try Amanda suggestion. I never really thought of that.
Old 07-11-2002, 05:56 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by ajrsmom
Have you ever had any trouble with the Downey staining anything in the dryer ?
Never, it works marvelously. I do between 2 and 4 loads of laundry everyday. I NEVER remember to go down during the rinse cycle. So this is the best solution for me. My water is well water, and we have no water softener, so even with that it works well. You can even toss the clothes in the dryer, then mist the tops of them with the spray (make sure you use the mist and not the stream, forgot to mention that LOL) and it still works just fine.
Old 07-11-2002, 08:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I've only used sheets, and I've bought both name brand and generic. I usually buy generic just because I always seem to run out of them when I need to buy 100 other things and don't have a lot of money. I have noticed that the store brands don't smell as stong or last as long. That's it though. I think I'll try the liquid spray idea next time for a change of pace! I always find good ideas from posts on this site!!!!
Old 07-12-2002, 09:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I buy the Wal-Mart generic brand dryer sheets. I like that they soften my clothes without leaving a strong smell in them.

Also, myself and the two boys have allergies and they seem to be the only brand that doesn't affect any of us!
Old 07-12-2002, 10:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I like your idea Amanda............

I love the smell of Downy, mostly when I use the liquid.

I have lately been using sheets because they are less expensive and you get more uses, and yes, you can split them in smaller loads. I usually buy a brand name because I like the scent better.

I have always been a faithful Tide/Downy user but lately I really like the smell (and price) of Gain. It smells soooo good, and the kids like the smell too