FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Tips - Clothing & Laundry (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/tips-clothing-laundry/)
-   -   liquid or powder (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/tips-clothing-laundry/2085-liquid-powder.html)

sunflower23 06-08-2002 07:17 PM

liquid or powder

I was just wondering...do you use powder or liquid detergent? I seem to remember hearing years ago that powder is bad for washers. I think that it had something to do with if it dosent disolve all the way it builds up or something along that line. Which is cheaper?
thanks.

Peggy

Shawn 06-09-2002 03:06 AM

I use liquid... I find that sometimes depending on brand it can be more money. But it dissolves easier for me.

If you are not sure, call the manufacturer of your machine up and ask then what they reccommend.

hbarton 06-10-2002 11:15 AM

I HAVEN'T REALLY NOTICED THAT MUCH OF A PRICE DIF. IN LIQUID OR POWDER BUT I DO KNOW THAT POWDER CAN MESS UP YOUR SEPTIC TANK IT DOESN'T COMPLETLY DISOLVE I TEND TO USE BOTH HAVE A GOOD DAY8-)

nagymom 06-10-2002 01:38 PM

I am a laundry nut! I sincerely enjoy doing laundry. :heart: Personally I prefer liquid since I also use this for my pre-treater. I have also decided that being frugal with laundry detergent just doesn't work and in the end can end up costing more. Cheap detergents (even some name brands!) just don't do a good job of cleaning laundry. I even tried making my own but found my clothes just looked dingy. This is why I will spend the extra to buy Tide liquid. Tide is a wonderful pre-treater with the new (I got several free!) "Kick". My dd 2 prefers Gain because it smells good but it can't come close to the cleaning of Tide. No I don't work for Tide. ::-)::

One thing I do highly recommend is using one of the dye catchers available. They really do work! As much as I enjoy laundry I have made some incredible (and funny!) flubs. Since I started using dye catchers they are few and far between now. :-P::

Good luck! I think you'll find that what works for one may not work for you so compare prices and see which is more convenient for your storage and usage.

catrose44 06-10-2002 02:08 PM

I agree that Tide is the best. My DH only likes the powder though- he claims it works better, but I'm the one doing the wash, so sometimes I use the liquid and he is none the wiser! What is a dye catcher? (recently a red sock went in with the whites (I didn't know any of us even owned a red sock) Would a dye catcher help this? thanks

nagymom 06-10-2002 05:24 PM

You could try one of the dye catchers but it may be too late. RIT makes a color remover that works well though. For future reference though Shout, Woolite and Dye Magnet all work great. DYE Magnet is actually a terry cloth looking cloth that can be used over and over (up to 50 washes but I use until it literally is full of holes) and the others are supposed to be one shot uses. However, I have used them more than once with great results. So far.ROFLMAO Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time finding the Dye Magnet anymore. I wrote and e-mailed them once and they actually sent me a free one to shut me up I suppose!
My laundry room wouldn't be the same without one version or another.

Jenna 06-10-2002 06:38 PM

Hi Peggy,

I use High Efficiency Tide Liquid. It is specially made for front loading washers. I have a Kenmore front loader.:heart:

I started out using powder when I first bought the machine 3 years ago. I noticed that the powder often got caught in the dispenser drawer, especially when using cooler water. It was a gummy mess to clean up(yuc!). I switched to the Tide HE and Love it! I think that our clothes are cleaner and the detergent rinses out better than with powder. You can also pour a little on stains before washing.

Hope this helps!:)

Jenna

catrose44 06-11-2002 07:03 AM

I agree that liquid Tide is best in cold water. I don't mind the powder as much if using warm or the very occasional hot water wash.

Bob 06-13-2002 08:42 PM

There was an article in a well-known (and very good) consumer magazine awhile back that said that the worst liquid laundry detergent out-performed the best powders in their ratings (I guess because it's no secret that powders don't completely dissolve in water). I also have found that using the Tide Kick pre-treater ball works very well, probably because it drives the detergent into the dirt instead of just rubbing or brushing it on like other methods. It stands to reason that if the detergent is just laying on top of the dirt it can't do much to get it out. Hope this helps.

Amanda 06-13-2002 08:43 PM

I've been meaning to try that Tide pre-treater ball, thanks for the reminder! :)