Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-15-2002, 06:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Everyone;

I use powder. I've never had a problem with it not desloving. I always put my powder in with my water before my clothes.
I did buy some liquid the other day. Same brand, Same price but it didn't last as long. Did I do something wrong?

Someone posted that they put vinager in their Downy ball every few loads. Does anyone know why?

Thanks
Houston-Mom
Old 06-15-2002, 07:39 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I do not use the full amount of liquid that they recommend...it is not really needed. I also do not use the full amount of softener either.
The vinegar will help clean the laundry of any residue left by the soap or the softener and will also soften the clothes.
Ruth
Old 06-15-2002, 07:58 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Ruth;
Thanks that really helped. I've been doing laundry for some time now, but still need to learn alot.

Houston-Mom
Old 06-15-2002, 08:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hi amcbride,

Can you share more info about your laundry soap, it sounds very interesting?

janet
Old 06-15-2002, 08:17 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

To give you the answer to why vinegar is used in the fabric softener ball, I'll have to give you a crash course on the PH scale:
The PH scale runs from no. 1-hydrochloric acid (strongest known acid) to no. 14-sodium hydroxide (lye-strongest known alkali) with distilled water being right in the middle at no. 7, in other words neutral, neither acid or alkaline. Vinegar is slightly below neutral on the acid side and let's say baking soda which is slightly above neutral on the alkaline side. The vinegar in the fabric softener ball every few washes helps to clean out the washer's water pump, the tub and the hoses, etc. by dissolving the powdery residue build-up in the machine just like you use CLR to get rid of the same thing (calcium, lime & rust) only it's a whole lot cheaper. You have to be sure that you use it only in the plain rinse water-the reason for putting the vinegar in the ball that only opens during the rinse cycle or the detergent (being an alkali) will neutralize the vinegar instantly and it won't be able to do it's job.
While I'm thinking about it, I forgot to mention in my last post about a commercial for Downy Care that showed three shirts-one that was brand new, one that was washed several times in regular fabric softener and detergent and one that was washed with detergent and Downy Care. I don't know why they only showed that commercial a few times but I've got to tell you, the one washed using the Downy Care still looked almost as new as the brand new control shirt right off the store rack that had never been washed! I am wearing one of the shirts right now that I had washed a few times before seeing the commercial and since been washing MANY times with the Downy Care and believe me it is still the same medium forest green as when I bought it. This shirt should be be downright white by now with no color left! A word to the wise.
Old 06-15-2002, 08:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Thanks Bob for all the great advice. I know allot of people use vinegar to soften their clothes due to allergies. I thought the Downy Ball was designed to be used only with the specific weight of their product, glad you proved this wrong...I will be using my downy Ball more!
Old 06-15-2002, 08:49 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

When you use the vinegar in the ball do you also put in the softener?

Houston-Mom
Old 06-15-2002, 10:03 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Okay, I guess there's going to be a crash course no. 2 since I just received a few e-mails with questions:
First of all, fabric softeners don't soften anything. All they do is make the fibers in the material stand straight up giving the FEEL of the fabric being softer whether it's the liquid or the sheets.
Next, it isn't the Downy ball but the Downy Care Liquid Fabric Softener that does the magic. You could just pour the Downy Care in the washer out of the container if you want to stand by the washing machine and wait until the washer fills up with the rinse water. The ball just stays in the machine from the beginning of the wash and automatically opens at the right time for you during the rinse cycle when it is supposed to.
As far as another question about if you can put the Downy and the vinegar in the ball together, I'm not sure because I don't know the chemical make-up of fabric softener so I suggest that you try it on some clothes that are about ready for the "rag bag" first. I would try using the same amount of each (Downy to the line on the ball and then add about that much more of vinegar and see what happens). That's what I'm going to try. Sounds like you have a good idea about combining them both at the same time.

Last edited by Bob; 06-15-2002 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-16-2002, 04:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

As faithful a user of Tide as I am, and I came to be a Tide user late in life having used cheap brands most of my married life, there is one that is better. IMHO Amway makes the best laundry detergent EVER. Unfortunately, it's also expensive, even comparing how well it cleans. Most of all though I HATE the way Amway dealers pursue you (we tried selling it years ago and were hounded relentlessly to give up the names of friends and family to our team leader! We refused and ultimately gave it up) Anyway, if you know someone who sells Amway give it a try. I don't recall the name after all these years but they also make a product that will get just about any stain out. I once left a tube of lipstick in a jacket pocket and it went through the washer/dryer with a bunch of new clothes! I was positively sick about it and sure all the items were ruined. A friend had some Amway and told me to try it. There wasn't a spot left on the clothes after only one wash.

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 06-16-2002, 09:32 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lindarella,
Noticed your post about the Downy ball possibly being the cause of the buttons coming off of your blouses and remembered something that happened to me several years ago. The washing machine quit so I went to Sears to buy another one and saw a model that had a sign on it saying "Discontinued" with a good price on it so I bought it. That sign should have sounded a huge alarm in my head because what store gets rid of a good product that is selling well but it didn't. Anyway, as soon as I started washing clothes in that machine, the buttons started to come off of my shirts likely crazy. I was starting to feel like I had a second career putting buttons back on clothes. Finally, I realized that it was because of the design of the agitator in the washer that was responsible for the problem (which is probably why they discontinued that model). I kind of doubt that the Downy ball has anything to do with it since it is round and can't pull at anything while it's in with the clothes. More like bounces off of them I would say.