Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-14-2002, 05:34 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

liquid or powder

Hi! I use Gain powder. With Oxy Clean as a booster and in place of bleach. The trick to using powder is to put it in before you put the clothes in, let it agitate awhile before putting the clothes in. When washing in cold water I have no problems if I do it this way. If the clothes are real dirty, chore clothes or clothes that dh wore working on machinery, I let them soak for about 30 min.. The Oxy Clean works great working out the stains.

I just use the lowest line on the scoop for the amount of soap. It is enough to do the job.
Old 06-14-2002, 06:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Well I have tried every imagineable laundry detergent, from Tide to the super cheap stuff, and I've never noticed a difference. I use the downy ball in my wash to save on the cost of fabric softner. I have also found that using 1/2 the scoop for powdered detergent works just as well as a full scoop. I haven't tried this with liquid yet but I'll be sure to let you know!
Old 06-14-2002, 06:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks for reminding me that I should use that Tide thing. I put it on the shelf and that is where it sits! Doesn't do much good
there.
I went back to making my own laundry soap again. It's easy and works at least as well as the cheaper brands and only costs about $5 for 20+ gallons. Since it doesn't suds up, it works better with the slower drain in my laundry room.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I have tried everything from expensive liquids & powder to cheap liquids and powders and I have to say, I have noticed a difference.

After using liquid Tide most of my adult life, I started using cheaper brands and found that after time, the clothes didnt look as good. Wanting to save money though, I tried the powder detergents.....this is where I noticed the major difference. My clothes produced so much more lint and seem to fade even faster than before.

I mentioned it before on here and someone told me all about how the cheaper powders are made with a lot of fillers and dont work as good.

So now Im back to using Tide liquid or another good name liquid-whatever is one sale. I use 1/2 as much as called for, sometimes less and things seem to be just fine. I also use vinegar in my Downy ball every 2-3 washes.

Im going to drag out that Tide Kick thingy and use it since it is getting so many good reviews here !!
Old 06-14-2002, 04:01 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I use liquid all of the time now. I try to buy Tide if it's on sale but if not I get whatever I can that's on sale. I've thought about making my own laundry detergent, we're saving to buy a house and I try to save money any way I can.

I use the Tide Kick mostly with my boys clothes and I use the downy ball too although I think it could be responsible for a few missing buttons on my blouses.
Old 06-15-2002, 11:41 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

LOVING MOM:'HEART:'

Quote:
Originally posted by hbarton
I HAVEN'T REALLY NOTICED THAT MUCH OF A PRICE DIF. IN LIQUID OR POWDER BUT I DO KNOW THAT POWDER CAN MESS UP YOUR SEPTIC TANK IT DOESN'T COMPLETLY DISOLVE I TEND TO USE BOTH HAVE A GOOD DAY
I AGREE WITH YOU 100% TIDE IS THE BEST AND LIQUID IS ALSO.I CAN'T USE POWDER BECAUSE IT BE ALL IN THE CLOTHES AND YOU HAVE TO RINCE THEM AGAIN.

Reginald
Davonta
Travis
Old 06-15-2002, 12:18 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

In the States I used liquid in my top loader. Now, in Sweden, I use powder in my front loader. I notice no difference. However, it may very well be the machine that makes the difference. It isn't easy to find liquid detergent here and the machines are built to accept powder - somewhat like commercial washers are in the States with seperate detergent compartments. I also think the machines heat up the water much better here in Sweden. My husband (a Swede) says that the machines use cold water and then heat it up to temperature as opposed to my machine in the States that poured the water in at cold, warm or hot.

If I recall correctly, In the book Tightwad Gazette the Author ran a test on powder vs. liquid and powder was cheaper - which doesn't mean it works better but gives you an idea on frugaity. I may be wrong - someone correct me if so.

I will say one thing I have noticed, front loaders IMHO - are MUCH better than top loaders. I used Tide and Downy in the States and even at that my clothes are much cleaner in Sweden.
Old 06-15-2002, 02:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Liquid or Powder

I have well water and I find liquid detergent works best!

I currently am using Gain....I love the smell.

I did use Tide, but I find my clothes get cleaner with Gain.

With well water your white clothes get dingy easily. I want my whites, really white and bright!

For stubborn whites I use equal parts of:

Gain, Cascade, & Bleach.

They come out stunning!

janet
Old 06-15-2002, 04:25 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I use only one brand of liquid. I order it from a catalog. Not only does powder not dissolve completely,try this . Take a little bit of powder detergent(doesn't matter what brand, the base is pretty much the same) and put it in the palm of your hand. Then add a little water to it.
Notice how hot it gets. See how long you can actually hold it. If it does that to your hands, what do you think it does to the fabrics you wash over and over? This was a real eye opener to me.
Just had to share.
Old 06-15-2002, 06:06 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

liquid or powder

I just finished watching Martha Stewart on TV this evening and she went into which is better....it turns out liquids are better for greasy/protein stains and powder is better for dirt/clay kind of stains.
I cannot be bothers to have both on hand I like liquid since I can use it as the pretreater too.
I wait for a sale on my favorite kind or I buy whichever is the best buy, I find the huge container w/ the spout is usually the best unless a smaller size is on sale then I get my calculator out and go to work figuring it out.
I then can always fill the big container w/ the smaller ones if need be.
I am sure you could mix up your own concoction from borax and washing soda if you are really trying to save money.
Fels naptha also is a great to have around.
Ruth