Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 02-18-2008, 05:41 AM
Nine Year Member

I've been using Oxy-Clean in my carpet shampooer and have been happy with the results.

Roberta
Old 02-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Wow some very good ideas here.Thanks so much.
Mish
Old 05-31-2009, 05:04 PM
Nine Year Member

I got these from the Dollar Stretcher article where they sited Living on a Dime as their source.

All Purpose/Window Cleaner

1/2 cup ammonia
2 cups rubbing alcohol
water
1 tsp. dishwashing liquid

In a one-gallon container, mix ammonia and rubbing alcohol. Fill almost to the top with water. Add dishwashing liquid and mix. Top off with water. Rated by Consumer Reports Magazine to work much better (and much cheaper) than most commercial window and kitchen sprays. Alcohol is the secret ingredient; it's what commercial window washers use. This is safe on most, but not all, household surfaces. I use this to clean almost everything from the bathroom to the window. This is the main cleaner that I use in my house.

Ready Mop Cleaner Refill
1 gallon water
1 cup ammonia
1/2 cup vinegar

Mix ingredients and use instead of buying commercial cleaner. Use a piece of scrap fleece, scrap flannel or micro-fiber towels (purchased at automotive stores) to replace your Swiffer(tm) or Clorox Ready Mop(tm) disposable pads. Cut several to size to have on hand. When soiled, throw in the wash and launder as usual. Note: Don't use ammonia on wood floors. Just use vinegar and water or water and Murphy's Oil soap.

Daily Shower Cleaner

1/4 cup concentrated cleaner (Lysol is a good brand)
1/2 cup isopropyl alcohol
water

Pour cleaner and alcohol into quart spray bottle. Add enough water to fill. Thoroughly clean shower before using. Spray on shower daily. Use daily to prevent water deposits and soap scum.

Homemade Cleaning Wipes

1 round baby wipe container*
1 roll of paper towels**
2-4 cups cleaning solution (homemade is fine)

Recycle a used round baby wipe container. Cut a roll of paper towel in half (an electric or serrated knife works best for this). Remove the center cardboard. Place 1/2 of the paper towels in the baby wipe container. Pour cleaning solution into the container. (The amount will depend of the absorbency of your paper towels.) This can be used for window cleaner, all purpose cleaner, or disinfectant cleaner. Pull the first paper towel out of the center of the roll, through the hole in the container lid. If the paper towels dry out before they are all used, add more solution or some water.

* If you don't have a baby wipe container, you can use a round plastic container and just drill or punch a large hole in the center of the lid. ** It is best to use expensive, thick paper towels. The cheap ones won't hold up to scrubbing.

Face/Hand Wipes
2 tablespoons liquid baby bath
2 cups water

Bathroom Wipes

1/2 cup pine cleaner
2 cups water

Window Wipes

1 cup glass cleaner
1 1/2 cups water

Outdoor Window Washer

3 Tbsp. liquid dishwashing soap
1 Tbsp. anti-spotting agent (Jet Dry(tm))

Put soap and anti-spotting agent into a spray bottle attachment for your garden hose. Spray upper windows and let them dry. This is for cleaning the higher windows on your house that you can't reach except with a ladder.

Tough Hand Cleaner

1/4 cup Fels Naptha*, grated
2 Tbsp. mason's sand or pumice
1 cup water
2 cup plastic container (16 oz. cottage cheese container works great) Place soap and water in a saucepan. Place over low heat; stir until soap is melted. After mixture cools, add mason's sand or pumice. Store in a cottage cheese container or margarine tub. Dip fingers into soap mixture and lather hands. Rinse well. * Any grated bar of soap will work but Fels Naptha removes the stains better.

Skunk Smell Remover

1 qt. hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 tsp. dish detergent

Sponge on and let dry. Safe for use on cats and dogs.

Roberta
Old 05-31-2009, 05:26 PM
Nine Year Member

My favorite cleaner is the one that bluebird gave me the recipe for using citruc peels and vinegar. It is awesome. I hope she sees this posts and posts her recipe. It is awesome. It will even clean a grill!

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 04-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by danstigerangel View Post
My favorite cleaner is the one that bluebird gave me the recipe for using citruc peels and vinegar. It is awesome. I hope she sees this posts and posts her recipe. It is awesome. It will even clean a grill!
Connie, do you still have this recipe? If so, will you post it, please?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 01-18-2013, 01:18 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Happy face

as i use most of these myself except for the ammonia as i use all natural homemade mixes with my senior pugs i need to be careful.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:48 AM
Nine Year Member

Here are a few "specialty" cleaner recipes using things most of us have around the house.

Homemade Goo Gone
Ingredients:
1 part vegetable oil
2 parts baking soda
Directions:
Stir oil and baking soda together until a paste is formed. Next, use a paper towel, microfiber cloth, or sponge and work the mixture into sticky messes until they release from the surface. Rinse with soapy, warm water.

Homemade Soft Scrub Cleanser
Ingredients:
3/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup castile soap
1 Tablespoon water
10-15 drops of tea tree oil
1 Tablespoon vinegar
Directions:
First, mix the baking soda and castile soap in a medium-sized bowl. Now, add the water and 10-15 drops of tea tree oil. Stir with a fork or whisk until well-blended.
Next, slowly add vinegar. Prepare for bubbles! Stir the mixture until it becomes a paste. For future use, store in a clean container of your choice.

Hand-Washing Dish Soap
Ingredients:
1/4 cup soap flakes or soap shavings
2 cups water
1-2 Tablespoons distilled white vinegar or lemon juice
1 Tablespoon glycerin (optional)
3-5 drops essential oil (optional)
Directions:
First, heat water and soap in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat and continuously stir until all of the soap is melted. Do not let the mixture come to a boil. Once the soap is melted, stir in the vinegar. Now, allow the mixture to cool. Add essential oils of your choice for an added scent. Once the mixture is cooled, store in a clean container of your choice.

Bathroom Grout Cleaner
  1. Mix white distilled vinegar and water in equal proportions. Spray or pour onto grout. Let stand for about five minutes and then begin scrubbing in circular motion with a bristled brush. An old toothbrush works great! If this doesn't work, try step two.

1. Make a paste of baking soda and water. Smear paste onto grout and let sit for a few minutes. Begin scrubbing in circular motions with a bristled brush and then rinse. Repeat if necessary until your bathroom is squeaky clean!
All-Purpose Cleaner
Ingredients:
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. dish soap
2 Tablespoons vinegar
Directions:
Add all the above ingredients into a spray bottle of your choice. Shake it up to mix all the ingredients. Then, add warm water to the top of the spray bottle. Shake again and let sit for about one minute.

Garbage Disposal Cleaner
Ingredients:
Pulp from one lemon
1 Tablespoon lemon rind
Directions:
Toss the pulp and rind into the garbage disposal. Turn on the water and grind for 30 seconds.

Furniture Polish
Ingredients:
1 lemon
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon water
Directions:
Cut lemon in half and squeeze all the juice into a container, straining all pulp and seeds. Add the oil and water and whisk or shake. Now, you're ready to polish!
This is a fresh polish and cannot be stored for further use.

Roberta